Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Rejected from police academy for not being aboriginal!

My good friends niece was rejected from perths police academy today because they are only taking aboriginal cadets,all the ads you see on tv about being desperate for coppers and shes been rejected for having the wrong colour skin.
What are your thoughts?
I think its extremely racist,this poor girl wants to do good and shes been shot down in flames,she is absolutely devastated.
What if the shoe was on the other foot, current affair would be all over it like flies on poo, playing the race card.
Any feedback from coppers would be greatly appreciated to maybe shed light on this subject?
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Rejected from police academy for not being aboriginal!

Does she have that in writing? If so, she has options regarding recourse.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I don't know if they formally rejected her application or just verbally.
Was hoping a few coppers on aff might tell me what the go is?
She is 17 and wanted to be a police cadet but they are only taking aboriginal/torres straight islanders because of the equal opportunity act.
Equal opportunity for who?
I think its a huge joke,and super,super racist!
Equal opportunity means everyone should get a crack,white black,pink,yellow,green and blue.

Last edited by STINKY NINJA; 31-08-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 31-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Thats the world today. My daughter has only just left her job at a hospital ED because she was told that her position was slated for an indigenous incumbency. They proceeded to make her life a misery. She left. There is now an Aboriginal lass doing her old job. Thats life.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In an ideal world the colour of ones skin wouldn't matter. But unfortunately racism does still exist. I work in management and I see people of colour getting rejected all the time because of where they come from. And that's why we still have jobs advertised specifically for indigenous Australians. Sometimes it's the only chance they get.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.alrc.gov.au/publications/...s-police-force

Recruiting indigenous people is seen as one way to address particular problems with policing and community relations, ie "us and them". Current numbers of indigenous police members are comparitively low.
Old 31-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
My good friends niece was rejected from perths police academy today because they are only taking aboriginal cadets,all the ads you see on tv about being desperate for coppers and shes been rejected for having the wrong colour skin.
What are your thoughts?
I think its extremely racist,this poor girl wants to do good and shes been shot down in flames,she is absolutely devastated.
What if the shoe was on the other foot, current affair would be all over it like flies on poo, playing the race card.
Any feedback from coppers would be greatly appreciated to maybe shed light on this subject?
Was it as a cadet or a recruit? There is a difference.

A cadet can be school age and does a cadetship working as a cadet for X amount of days a week and doing courses. But a recruit joins the academy upon acceptance and trains as a sworn Constable then graduates as a probationer after 6 months training.
If she was applying as a cadet then yes probably have enough cadets already but room for indigenous persons because they're trying to attract more to the job, especailly after whats just happened in Kal.

Once a cadet reaches 18 then they join as a recruit.

Sorry, just saw your second post, she's 17, so probably a cadet application. Wait for 18 and apply as a recruit.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Send her to Melbourne, we'll take her
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2016, 10:59 PM   #9
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Was she rejected or told there were no vacancies?

There is a seperate Aboriginal Cadet program. (Website states applications closed)
https://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/jo...riginal-cadet/

And the standard Cadet program is currently full.
https://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/join-wa-police/cadet/

Also, don't mix up cadets for "coppers" they are two different beasts.
She can have a crack at being a copper here.
https://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/jo...olice/recruit/

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan

Last edited by Cashie; 31-08-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2016, 11:46 PM   #10
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Whats the difference cashie?
If you read my second post I do say "cadet" I also mentioned shes 17 so she cant be a full fledged cop.
Whats to stop aboriginals applying to the police force in general or any job for that matter,nothing, so why do they need special attention and have positions only for them?
Special attention is not equal opportunity its racism at its best but because its not against indigenous people it doesn't count...
I have aboriginal mates and they do not want to be cops,they hate the police with a passion...
Its puts people out of jobs who really want them,nobody can knock back an aboriginal for a job end of story,can you be knocked back for a job for not being an aboriginal,answer is yes.
The govt is a big racist joke,they are trying to be so politically correct they are being blatently racist against white people in a lot of cases,it sucks..
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 12:16 AM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Don't be too upset.. It will be a curse if things are dwelled upon.. Training in facets that incorporate her intended occupation will go along way next interview..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 01:10 AM   #12
Juicy330

I got failed from wa police over spelling test when I was 19 was my dream job I'd wanted since I was a kid, couple months later scored a job in the mining sector and have never looked back massive pay difference for better conditions

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Juicy330 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #13
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
In an ideal world the colour of ones skin wouldn't matter. But unfortunately racism does still exist. I work in management and I see people of colour getting rejected all the time because of where they come from. And that's why we still have jobs advertised specifically for indigenous Australians. Sometimes it's the only chance they get.
You get it...
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 07:04 AM   #14
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you read my second post I do say "cadet" I also mentioned shes 17 so she cant be a full fledged cop.
Whats to stop aboriginals applying to the police force in general or any job for that matter,nothing, so why do they need special attention and have positions only for them?
Special attention is not equal opportunity its racism at its best but because its not against indigenous people it doesn't count...
I have aboriginal mates and they do not want to be cops,they hate the police with a passion...
Its puts people out of jobs who really want them,nobody can knock back an aboriginal for a job end of story,can you be knocked back for a job for not being an aboriginal,answer is yes.
The govt is a big racist joke,they are trying to be so politically correct they are being blatently racist against white people in a lot of cases,it sucks..
You don't get it...
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure you get in early for the next cadet intake, or as suggested, apply when 18. Certain positions are set aside for ATSI, to encourage them to participate.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
They are using the Equal Opportunity Laws http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/w...84250/s51.html
Probably largely this clause
Quote:
to afford persons of a particular race access to facilities, services or opportunities to meet their special needs in relation to employment, education, training or welfare, or any ancillary benefits.
They do run a specific course for Aboriginals to address cultural difference etc.

Knowing what goes on on our streets and the ratio of Indigenous offenders, WA Police (along with many other Police Services/Forces around the world) are trying to get Indigenous officers on the beat. This weeks riots at Kal certainly highlight the community "problem".
If you have ever dealt with Aboriginal (or any) cultural issues you will understand why it is felt important to get these individuals out on the beat.
Your aboriginal friends who do not want to be cops obviously won't become cops, but there are many who do and go on to make a big impact to communities and metro Perth. They may also assist your mates to hate police a little bit less.
I can see where you are coming from, but unfortunately for your friends niece there are two distinct streams for cadets (read above for reasons).
But to join as a police officer at 18 there is only one main stream (AFAIK), maybe this is an option in 12 months?

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan

Last edited by Cashie; 01-09-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #17
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"I have aboriginal mates and they do not want to be cops,they hate the police with a passion..."

Probably because they're crims or their family are and the Police dare to lock them up.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #18
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last moronic low life Chief of the ADF sure did not want Aussies in the ADF and said there was too many in our Army, but if you are a middle east person he would fall over backwards to get them in.
Then they made him the Aussie of the year.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #19
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
"I have aboriginal mates and they do not want to be cops,they hate the police with a passion..."

Probably because they're crims or their family are and the Police dare to lock them up.
Especially when they claim to own the country you live in all your life, not to mention if they are only part Aboriginal, not full blood. hear hang about the government changed the definition of what was an Aboriginal.

Aboriginal was a Original inhabitant of Australia before Cook, relating to there race being pure, not being tampered with any other races and that's what my pure blood Aboriginal mate I have known for 50 years says is true, not that he says it nowadays to the other part aboriginals, maybe it was because he got attacked many a time for his views and once stabbed in the guts for his opinion on that, so he lives in fear of that type who do not care about the true Aboriginals, but now it's them lot who have taken over the claim of being the aboriginals nowadays and most Australians would not have a clue or care about that, but they sure support some blond haired blue eyed toss pot claiming to be one. the world has gone mad.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #20
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What are your thoughts?
Firstly, you need to understand that the cadet program is a very limited program for under-aged applicants. It is NOT the normal method for entering the Police Force. It is a so-called "entry pathway".

Next, understand that some of the worst postings for cops in WA are to remote regions with substantially indigenous populations. As such, the Police Service has always struggled to get enough suitably qualified Indigenous applicants.
In days past they employed Aboriginal Liaison Officers. However this practice lead to problems because they were often asked to do the same job as regular police, but with less training, less pay, and without guns.
So now they go through the same training as everyone else.

They now have an Aboriginal Cadet program, basically to try and get enough Indigenous people to become Cops.
There is the open Cadet program but places are limited.
Both programs have the same outcome, to get kids a leg-up towards becoming a Cop.
(It may even effectively be the "same" program, except obviously there is an Indigenous quota.)
Presumably the niece has been told that the next openings are in the Indigenous category only.

Just to repeat, this is an underage cadet program only.
She can still apply to be a normal recruit when she is old enough.

And before anybody screams "racism," go spend a "pension night" in Halls Creek, in Summer (there's several reasons they call it "Hells Crack") and tell me how much you'd love to be a Cop there.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #21
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably the Police Academy is just looking for a black guy who can make sound effects with his mouth.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #22
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My workplace has openly said they're targeting female applicants for all levels. I mean, women have always been able to apply for any railway jobs...I work with female drivers...but have they thought maybe, generally, women don't want to do a job like this?

I was almost part of a riot that had to be broken up by police once...I left before The Plod arrived. Late 1980's, saw a job advertised for 10 trainees in gardening/landscaping with the local council...full time work. Myself and maybe fifty or more other guys turned up at the local CES employment mob, and some stooge stood on a chair to address us about the people they wanted. "Five women and five men"...fair enough. "Three aboriginal or Torres Straight Islanders, two disabled people".
The crowd went quiet, and someone yelled out "What about able bodied white males?"
And that's when the fight started, officer...

Positive discrimination is still discrimination...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #23
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly! It's reverse discrimination regardless of what the politically correct term is. Affirmative action, equal opportunity, etc.....it's reverse discrimination against the majority.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #24
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

White heterosexual male, the most discriminated against person.

Just tell her to tick the aboriginal box and be done with it, plenty of aboriginals are whiter than me...

QUOTE from AIATSIS web site:

Proof of Aboriginality

Please note: AIATSIS cannot comment on, prove or provide confirmation of anyone’s Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage.

Your Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage is something that is personal to you. You do not need a letter of confirmation to identify as an Indigenous person.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #25
Mooka

Joining the police at 18 with no life skills in my opinion is wrong. Should be atleast 21. Hell most of these kids have not even cooked their own dinner and folded their own washing let alone be in control of public safety.

Tell her to join the military, learn life skills and apply for police when she reaches 3 1/2yrs service if so still desired.
Mooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: