Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-02-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
AUIIIvctUTE
Starter Motor

Question Question About My Au Iii Xr6 Vct Ute!

I have just recently aquired a very tidy completly stock AU series 3 Xr6 VCT Ute in Blueprint color. One of the first things i heard is that they VCT is a little bit more fussy to mod then your standard engine, but has great potential if modded properly. my first mod being a throwing on a simple 2.5" cat back. my question is, should i be aiming for aparticular brand, i had redback on my old VR commodore, and that served me wel and was relatively cheap too ($350 fitted with big tip) anyone one else with a VCT got a certain brand u reccomend that sounds good? And one last question.. To get the resonator.. or to get single muffler with stright through pipe at the back? the commodore was single muffler and sounded loud as **** but was drony at highway travelling. my mate has a BA XR6 Sedan with a redback 2.5" mandrel bent with a resonator, and it is only a little bit louder then stock, but put your foot down reaching 4000rpm and over and it sounds great real crisp and sporty! was it just drony cos it was an old commodore? or does having just one muffler have that effect on alot of cars? would mine sound similar to my mates XR6 or completely different cos its VCT? any advise on this matter is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading

AUIIIvctUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
aye you
The Origional, The Best

you'll find most people are running RedBack or Lukey systems here. Depending on your tastes, its about a 50/50 split for having a rear resonator on it, some will say have it some will say not. I personally don't have it and love the sounds i get from it, but thats personal preference
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

i have a lukey system with a lukey muffler and mercury hot dog.

sound a lot better and louder than the redback system with rear ressy on my mum's VCT.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

I have a 2.5" lukey system as well. I have a single muffler and mine does sound a little drony, but i don't mind it. One way to find out... _2:

I think you'll find it will sound quite different to what your commodore did anyway.

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have a redback 2.5 with rear resonator. Because it's a ute, I'd personally go the resonator, as there's not much to a ute to muffle the sound without it!

It depends on how acute your hearing is. Some people can put up with a drone, as they want to hear the engine all the time. Me, I have a fussy ear, so the drone would simply be too much.

Your call though, and aye you is right, it will be about a 50/50 split! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
AUIIIvctUTE
Starter Motor

ok... so im thinking i might give lukey a try, much diference in price between the red back and lukey systems? also, say i went the one muffler system.. i know it will be a bit drony, but you would think no where to the extent of an old commodore? cheers
AUIIIvctUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

I have a magnaflow system with rear hotdog, nice note

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIIvctUTE
ok... so im thinking i might give lukey a try, much diference in price between the red back and lukey systems? also, say i went the one muffler system.. i know it will be a bit drony, but you would think no where to the extent of an old commodore? cheers
i went to a carline, and they qouted me 450 for a lukey system and to put my herrod tips on that i had, would have been a custom job,

then i went to muffler man and he quoted 420 for a redback system with off the shelf chrome tips.

then i went to my mate who i forgot ran a carline shop and he did it for 270 :

im not sure why exhausts cost so much in sydney, but i think it was something to do with me being a young kid and the guys quoting me saw $$$$ thinking that i was clueless.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I had to get a custom made up system ... there's no off-the-shelf Factory LPG systems (due to the twin tanks) .... so I just have Pacie 4499 headers ... metalcat cat-convertor ... 2.5" piping all the way to the back ... and a single straight through muffler on the rear (I think it is a metalcat brand as well) ... mine was done at Carline at Mt Druitt ages ago as well.

It is loud ... but i like it that way ... it can be a tad droney on the highway ... but it doesn't bother me .... also sounds great at idle too .. but that's due to the cam I have in it as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think one other thing the sound of the exhaust will depend on too is the driveline. Is the ute auto or manual? If it is manual, then you will have no problem going straight through, because as far as I know, manual Falcons do not suffer drone. At least mine doesn't anyway, but I also have a rear muffler. To tell you the truth, even with the muffler at the rear it still sounds quite good. I have even had a few people who don't know any better ask me if I have a V8 under the bonnet!

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a manual I6 ute, and currently have a redback 2.5in catback system it has the redback sports muffler in the center - the one in between the tranny and diff, then a Xforce Cannon style resonator at the back, no real drone till the 110km/h mark in 4th, but then who drives that fast constantly in 4th anyway. I've had a few people ask if mine is a v8 even a mechanic.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post