Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Hellebore

Default Insurance, what to do?

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you all do about insuring your cars once they are modified?

My problem is I have an EA falcon with an AU 6 and a supra gearbox.... and as far is im aware/have been told by insurance companys, they wont pay out on even 3rd pary insurance if the car has been altered (rego says its a 3.9 auto, when its really a 4.0 manual).

I have also heard that there is only a 10% difference in power allowed when transplanting an engine if you want to be able ot take it over the pits (may be a load of bs).

What do people do when they get a manual conversion??
just want to be able to drive my car, cuz at the moment im freakin out about hitting a BMW etc.

Thanks

Cam

Hellebore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
rhysy_boi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what company are you with? try justcar or shannons, i haven't had any experience with your situation but they'd be the first i'd call.

Rhyso
rhysy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

If you've already modified your car, you have no choice but to tell your insurer. If you don't and you get into a prang later on and they find out you have mods they don't know about, they won't pay out. If you tell them and they say no, at least you can go find yourself another insurer.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Hellebore

So it doesnt matter that it says auto on the rego and its really a manual??

just up to insurers discretion?
Old 19-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
One Drone
Lane HO

Just cars is really your only hope. Otherwise look for an insurance broker to find someone for you.
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Has the AU engine been modified? Is it running the AU ECU with the BBM manifold or did you just throw the old manifold & accessories on it? That would affect whether it was more than 10% up on a 3.9MPI or not.

If it is just the AU engine installed and the manual conversion you might find that many of the mainstream insurance companies will cover it, if the engine is modified they will be less cooperative. If they have been fully informed of the modifications and the car is still legal, they should cover it.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
Hellebore

Its the entire engine acc radiator ecu wiring loom everything.... goes pretty hard
lol but yeah.... back to insurance
Old 19-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
EB 2 XR8
Traino!

i insured my car through RACQ, i was 17 and had a EB SXR 5 speed, extractors, pod filter, exhaust, lowered and they insured me (3rd party) cost me $38 a month, cheap stuff

EB 2 XR8 - 5 Speed, All Black, SSV Bodykit,

EF 2 XR6 - 5 Speed, XR Kit, Sunroof,

Current Car:

EL GLI - Straight As!
EB 2 XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
fordxrtfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellebore
So it doesnt matter that it says auto on the rego and its really a manual??

just up to insurers discretion?
Need to let your insurance company know about it. Try a broker to find someone for you or give Shannons a call (Shannons dont deal with brokers as far as I know so need to call yourself)
Also could be wrong hear so someone please correct me, but doesnt the car need to be re-certified or something to say manual on rego papers? (just to make it all legal)
fordxrtfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post