Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #61
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I dove past Nundah mitsubishi in Brisbane yesterday and what do I see out the front... black 380 with GT stripes. I guess they think if we chuck some ford stripes on its bound to sell better. I tried to get a pic but my friend wouldnt stop cause he didnt want to go near a mitsubishi yard. Its still out there out the front hogging the space all the evo's use to take.. They should sell them evo's for 30k now that would be sweet but 60k is too expensive
Old 26-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #62
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
black 380 with GT stripes. I guess they think if we chuck some ford stripes on its bound to sell better.
Despite it probably is a "copy" of the fords, Ford doesnt have exclusive right to stripes.

Quote:
They should sell them evo's for 30k now that would be sweet but 60k is too expensive
Why on earth do that - it's priced against the Subaru STi.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #63
Aeron
DJR Fan

I quite like the 380. To me it looks much better than the Fagna.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #64
EL_futuraistic

I think ppl are right when they said the Sigma, Colt and early "door chock" magna's and the early 1990/92 TR i think it was with the same ashmatic and smokey 2.6L only they threw Fuel Injection on it did destroy mitsubishi's reputation. A lot of prospective 380 buyers would be of the 25+ age bracket and would have shuddering memories of such vehicles.

Unforunately its an AUSSIE thing to drive a Ford or a Holden, none of that FWD jap crap. Well despite the head in the sand attitude it is true most Jap cars are build a #@%^ load better than any oz car will ever be. And not to start trouble..... but for anyone who wanted to argue about ur XR6T being new Technowizardry.... Turbo charging and VVT are nothing new, Japs have been doing it since the 80's.

I personally didnt minde the performance of the previous magna's... with the 3.5L V6 and Tiptronic, NVH levels were excellent, little too much torque steer but eh...

The 380, i love the interior, love the performance, not a huge fan of exterior except for the VRX.... just needs to be lowered.

Its sad to see the 380 not sell, it did come out with a lot of Hype, and nothing behind it after launch. Those Adverts where they move the piece of road to suit the car were fantastic.... however they seemed to have vanished after the launch. All those 3 page adverts Mitsubishi run in the newspaper.... LANCER, OUTLANDER, TRITON and on tv the same deal. What happened to the 380???

I guess its hard to try and market a Vehicle that the public have already rejected....... I hope mitsubishi do stay in the large car arena..... I think your Joe Average with 2.1 kids needs alternatives such as the Camry and 380 to your Commodore and Falcon.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #65
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

So the No.1 Mitsubishi dealer in Australia sold as many 380's as you can count on one hand to private buyers last month, and barely sells to fleet buyers. What does MMAL do about that? Does a fully funded fun week in South Africa for a big handfull of dealer management and MMAL management and their partners sound right? They may have cost cut on the 380 but some things never change at Mitsubishi.

MMAL will be around for a while yet, but everyone knows its fate has been signed off already. Its really dissapointing.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #66
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Despite it probably is a "copy" of the fords, Ford doesnt have exclusive right to stripes.

Why on earth do that - it's priced against the Subaru STi.
Of course they don't have rights but im sure most people would recognised them as ford gt stripes. Ford have though managed to make those stripes damn popular.

Why price it cheaper? Because its damn expensive. Isnt the evo they sell here the car that competes with the standard wrx overseas while a evo (csr)? competes with the sti. A 40k evo to compete with the wrx and a 60k evo to compete with the sti would be a much nicer setup.
Old 26-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #67
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:

Why price it cheaper? Because its damn expensive. Isnt the evo they sell here the car that competes with the standard wrx overseas while a evo (csr)? competes with the sti. A 40k evo to compete with the wrx and a 60k evo to compete with the sti would be a much nicer setup.
A Typhoon costs around $60k. So does a Clubsport. The Evo would probably outperform both so I dont think there is any reason to price it down to $40k. Its easily worth the money.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #68
Aeron
DJR Fan

If I had the money for an EVO, i'd have the EVO over a Typhoon or Clubsport.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #69
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

What I mean is they need to work on a 'cheaper' evo. Most people who love these cars simply cant affoard a 60k price tag that comes with them. A cheaper less optioned model for around 40k without all the gizmos of the evo and still turbo would be a good start. Just like they have a xr6t and typhoon mitsubishi should do the same thing with the evo.
Old 26-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #70
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They are bringing out a detuned Evo with the next spec around 40k to compete with WRX

And the Evo we have now is the edition that does compete with the STi.
Old 26-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #71
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
So the No.1 Mitsubishi dealer in Australia sold as many 380's as you can count on one hand to private buyers last month, and barely sells to fleet buyers.
Apparenbtly they just sold 900 units to Comfleet so it will look a bit better for february than the previous months.
Old 26-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #72
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Apparenbtly they just sold 900 units to Comfleet so it will look a bit better for february than the previous months.
The fact that its destined to really only sell with fleets is nothing to get excited about but atleast it stops the lines from being completely idle..
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #73
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
The fact that its destined to really only sell with fleets is nothing to get excited about but atleast it stops the lines from being completely idle..
Oh yeah, but needless to say, Falcon and Commodore rely mostly on fleets too - although I would expect to find that Mitsubishi relies on fleet sales a whole lot more than the other three.

Probably make for a great value second hand car.
Old 27-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #74
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

[Off topic]
I saw your avitar and thought - that looks just like the XB that I see cruising around Gawler all the time. Then I saw just below the picture and realised it IS the XB that lives in Gawler.

Neat car mate.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 02:04 AM   #75
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Meat
Then I saw just below the picture and realised it IS the XB that lives in Gawler.
Thanks "Joe's Meat" Yep that's me - and you would be?????? I've just lowered it, and redoing interior and brakes that failed in the main street last week.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave AU
Oh yeah, but needless to say, Falcon and Commodore rely mostly on fleets too
Remarkably, Falcon, Commodore, Magna, Camry and Avalon all have about the same numbers of RETAIL sales - its actually the fleet business and government sales that predominantly make up the difference in numbers. Thank god governments are buying colours now, so the flooded used car market isn't all yellow taxis and white g-cars!
And Dave yes the current Evo is on par with the range-topping STi, and I too would like to see the cheaper down-spec version here. For interest sake: The current Evo 9 is 51,990, the Evo 8 at 100 per annum was mid 60s, and the earlier Evo 6.5 Tommi Makkinen's at 100 per annum were from memory 68,990. Definately the new one is priced right - and finally a full production availability. Though I also like the Evo Wagon in Japan, and DID YOU KNOW you can buy a track-ready Evo through Ralliart for only $26,000? Ok so no a/c, interior, or compliance - but a cheap way to get a hot import that's not on its last legs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathurst 77
Ugly ugly ugly
Whilst I see the balleen whale in a stock ES (Exec), I think the TLs and TWs have potential to look awesome. For example, I sold a TL VR-X like the white pic above, in flaming homosexual red, which I dumped on 'super-lows', and fitted deep-dish 19" chrome 'Sabre' or similar wheels. Did I mention it was AWD? And the customer then fitted a supercharger to it. A mind-blowing machine. One of the bosses around the place ALWAYS had a new black GTVi (Calais International or sporty Fmont Ghia equivelant) that rode on superlow fronts, with 'low' rears, to give it that rake and set the wheel arches level with the tyres. Loved his KJ's, loved his KL's, and the KW's automatically got AWD in the GTVi spec, which even with the longer bumpers still looked hot lowered and tinted.
That "Sienna Red" pic you posted, is a TJ series 1 VR-X, before MMAL figured out how to fit 17" wheels without MMJ knowing, and frankely that made a lot of difference. Series 2 also had clear blinkers and far better torque steer/feel/feedback qualities, and an actual turning circle.

Dave AU: your photoshop of the TW with DB-ish headlights is in fact much like what got bandied about the place at MMAL - and the very reason the headlights got colour-coding (as you can clearly see in the original pic) as with that whole guard area in black, it stood out bad.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #76
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
Thanks "Joe's Meat" Yep that's me - and you would be?????? I've just lowered it, and redoing interior and brakes that failed in the main street last week.....
I'm Jake B.T.W. - Joe's Meat Distribution is an old joke of mine taken from the episode of Simpsons where bart says something about Joe's crematorium. Just one of those stupid things that stuck.

I do about 700km a week in Gawler (pizza delivery boy.) So people usually see me in a little white '05 Charade .
Have you noticed how many cars with no plates have been driving around Galwer lately? I think I'm going to invest in some of those 'one-way' screws from the hardware store.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post