Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Default Need advice

sorry for the poor title i couldnt really think of anything else. Ok, so here my problem. I have found an absolutely lovely vehicle i want ( http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=4188186 ) went for an inspection today with my Dad, and it seems extremely nice, entirely original (I hate modifications to vehicles like this) not too many kms, no rust and generally very tidy. But now my Dad is saying that he dosent want me to "blow my money" on something im hardly going to drive (isint that the point of having a pre 1980 vehicle?) And now he saying that because we dont have enough room in the garage or driveway (2 fairmonts and a festiva taking up all the room) he wont let it sit outside and become an EYESORE on the dirt patch. So basically im wondering what i should do, buy it and somehow cover it? (lots of trees with birds crapping all over the place) or let it go? (ive been looking for a ZF-ZG with that 2 tone color for over 2 years)

Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

that isn't an eyesore!! how come he went with you to test drive and then tell you he doesn't want you to have it?? bit rough i think

I say get it and bugger him
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
holmsy
Banned

buy it. its your money. (i assume)
get a car cover. (assuming the cover wont just get stolen or torn up by idiots.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Where can I get a cover that will fit the car?
Old 30-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
holmsy
Banned

supercheap auto or most car places. probably even the nearest servo
Old 30-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Your sure it will fit? i get the feeling the car is either too long or too wide (or both)
Old 30-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

I got a car cover from kmart, well and truly fits all the way around my BA. It also has these straps to tie it down and they are nowhere near at full capacity so it would fit a larger car for sure. I think it said it covers a fairlane also, I imagine it would do so without much trouble. Oh and the car is great!

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
holmsy
Banned

yeh they make them huge to easily go over. plus beacause there is large expensive cars that people want to cover.
Old 30-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After reading your post I have called George and made a holding deposit into his bank account pending an inspection tomorrow.
"Just kidding"
You are lucky your dad didnt say what my dad said when I told him I wanted a new motorbike. "Move out and buy a house first"
Did that, spent all of my money on a house, paid it off, got married, have a wife child and dog now. Wife wont let me have a bike because "I have a family to think of now". One day I WILL get one, even if it just sits there and I look at it. I have to settle for a 1:12 scale for now.
Could have been worse I 'spose, she could have made me sell the GXL.
Nice old Lane by the way, similar colour to my GXL. Good luck with it

Last edited by GXL078; 30-04-2007 at 11:23 PM.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's two Fairmonts ... move one of them outside!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #11
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

hahaha Pedro, The festiva and EL fairmont are in the garage, and my EBII sits outside getting covered in bird poo. Its taking up the driveway, this is why we have storage problems.
Old 30-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #12
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
After reading your post I have called George and made a holding deposit into his bank account pending an inspection tomorrow.
"Just kidding"
You are lucky your dad didnt say what my dad said when I told him I wanted a new motorbike. "Move out and buy a house first"
Did that, spent all of my money on a house, paid it off, got married, have a wife child and dog now. Wife wont let me have a bike because "I have a family to think of now". One day I WILL get one, even if it just sits there and I look at it. I have to settle for a 1:12 scale for now.
Could have been worse I 'spose, she could have made me sell the GXL.
Nice old Lane by the way, similar colour to my GXL. Good luck with it
Sounds like you got it hard lol! But once your boy (hopefully a boy, because that gives you an excuse to buy that bike!)... Um, I kinda finished my sentance in brackets *shrugs*

On the topic of that car - it's a beautiful piece of work. Buy it and keep it for the rest of your life and you'll be sitting on something will be handed down through your family...

It's a brilliant piece of work, a very tidy car... and something I wish I was in :P But at the moment I'm not in anything because my car's in impound, so hey, you'll see my riding my bike
volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Thanks for the advice, i will most likely buy the car soon as well as a cover for it. Dad still thinks that something dramatic will go wrong about 1 month after i buy it. He dosent like it because when we went to see it, it didnt feel "right" to him (all he wants is an XW-XY fairmont with a 351). And needless to say my Mum thinks its totally stupid having a "huge tank" sitting out the front getting driven once a fortnight, and she dosent want me to get it. But and the end of the day its all my money, and its what ive been saving for and its what im going to get (hopefully)
Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #14
Cameronhayward
STR8 6

Just buy it, ill take you there and you can have my car cover, along as i can drive it home :
Cameronhayward is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post