Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
lotto

Cool mercedes supercharge,diesel turbo?

guys ,just thinking,

In the future what do you think will be more common,more used,better perfomance!

mercedes,seem to have gone down the supercharged road as opposed to turbo?
(i dont like most mercs)I have been in a supercharged one that was an expensive piece of ****!

I know this is a ford site,but why do you think or know,HOLEDEN,got rid of there supercharged one?

seems a lot of smaller cars are going to be turbo diesel,obviously for a bit of performance plus economy.

Most turbo cars especially japanese seem to be twin turbo? like the soarer I had!

Do you think a typhoon ,xr6t in a twin turbo would be any good?

when holeden did the vl Turbo it was short lived?

do you think FORD will stop making the Turbo model after a couple of years?

DAMN hope not?
your thoughts cheers lotto

lotto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
SirJuggsalot

my head hurts
Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
lotto

why,just throwing some things up in the air,

Main question is,Do you think that ford will do the turbo falcons for a while?
and will they change in time to a twin turbo diesel?

these ford turbos are world class! if they did a diesel model it would teke of in some othr countries as well ,and would be a great export for them,outselling holedens overseas!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
Imagine_
Master Tech

As for the mercedes.... alot of vehicles here are supercharged.... but the top end of the vehicles... most are v12 twin turbo's.... mmm love it

the top end v8 supercharge vehicles.... are the quickest production vehicle ever made.... as far as i know to this point.... also weighing over 2t....

most benz models are turbo diesel's... and i know that mercedes also did a deal with garratt... and now we are seeing alot more v6 single turbo's coming through....

either way its all the manufactures that make deals with turbo/supercharger companies all money... i reackon

Imagine_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am I right in saying the VL Turbo came out due to the Holden partnership with Nissan, when that ended so did the Turbo Commodores.

Ford has the Turbo falcon using it’s own engine and own engineering team so my guess is the XR6T is hear for a wile longer.

Who cares what the top end companies do, we are talking about a Turbo Ford falcons hear $43,000+ Government Bullshit. The next closest thing from a top end manufactures is like 80+ Grand.

Why did Holden ditch the supercharged V6 well 171Kw might have something to do with it. Dump $6000 of mods on it wile-running 16PSI and you can have 280KW at the fly, Staked up along side a XR6T it’s got nothing, kinda like sticking a 220KW XR8 up alongside a LS2 SS.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
lotto

good comments,yes agree why pay $80,000 or more just for a name,I well Know the turbo falcons are bloody good cars,

yes thats right i think when the partnership ended with nissan thats when holedens turbo stopped after one model.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Sledgehammer
Banned

Thread moved to the pub for greater responce due to topic
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
FPVTurboTaxi

from memory the only reason holden stopped with the nissan motor was the exchange rate was to high ,the rb 30 was a great motor and i really cant believe after its success it took ford so long to turbo a straight 6 ... it had to be a winner

The supercharged v6 commys were easier to supercharge than turbo so they went down that track , they were an absoloute rockeship off the mark . there wasnt much that could catch it to the first jump off the mark then it was all over .. as dead as above 3500 revs ,a real disapointment after the initial surge ... and no manuals

i havent driven a compressor merc but my mates supercharged 4agze powered mr2 is a bundle of fun and is a lot more predictable ona skid pan under power than a turbo

re twin turbo-ing
i drove a twin turbo soarer for 3 years . 2 smalll turbos start making boost a lot faster than 1 big turbo , having said that the the falcon makes plenty of low down power off boost anyway so i dont see a need to double the mooving parts . the soarer had ceramic ct12's and i did 250 000 kms in it running 14 lb and i never had a prob with it

For Sale QLD Number Plates 06-XRF $550 PM me

Last edited by FPVTurboTaxi; 11-04-2007 at 10:40 AM.
FPVTurboTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
lotto

Red face

yes thats what i had a twin turbo soarer,loved it best car i had ,totally stock i did 14.7 qurter with 100kg passenger in it,

anyway thats gone now ,insurance too high when i changed states,

so after having the soarer i want another turbo car,do you think i would be happy with a ford turbo falcon?

cheers mark
Old 12-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
lotto

p.s whats the advantages,disadvantages turbo vs super charged?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
FPVTurboTaxi

Honestly u will be stoked with an xr6t in the power and comfort stakes

reliability is another thing but realistically a xr6t or phoon is the only current production car that comes close to the soarer .
I traded the soarer on the xr6t and have jsut traded the xr6t on the phoon

For Sale QLD Number Plates 06-XRF $550 PM me
FPVTurboTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
lotto

cool fpv,you have had some nice cars then,yes i have had a few over the years,had a 74' xb fairmont gs 302 in the early eighties loved it, had a mint 71'chev camaro ,it was a classic,but i prefered the newer turbo soarer,technology has come a long way ,how does your phoon compare to your xr6t in your opinion??

yes i think your right as i have two kids ,the soarer wouldnt be pratical anyway,so four door turbo 4 is looking good,if i can afford it!!ha ha