Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Default Extractors not a go for fords...

Went to my mechanic last night and we were talking about cars (Duuurr), apparenlty he was telling me that his mate put extractors on this falcon and he acutaly lost power, i find it hard to belive but he was explaining and tell me about it, the mainifold for a ford is about as good as it gets, and making it breathe to much via extractors to much heat is generated due to the pipes, Just something to think about, ....It was about 15- 20hp loss i think from memory, anyone else heard of this????

3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
EDXR6T

Sounds like a load of crap.
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Possibly he was talking about an XF, and I have heard plenty of stories in relation to that, but also heard/seen plenty of proof to say its not true.

But on an EA onwards it will give you more power, I have not heard of anyone losing power over a stock manifold at all.

EDIT: Did his mate who put extractors on also put a stupid 3" exhaust as well so he had no back pressure what so ever, that will kill power and could cause the problem described.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Yeah I find this hard to beleive. Like Jason said maybe he had a 3" exhaust too which has already been explained.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

I just put my Brand New 2.5" sports on the EB (daily) with Hi Tech extractors and I have noticed a huge increase in power. I was keeping up with Grechie last night. The only thing that I have noticed is that since I have put it on my average fuel/100kms has gone from 7.6litres to 11.2litres
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_TD
I just put my Brand New 2.5" sports on the EB daily with Hi Tech extractors and I have noticed a huge increase in power. I was keeping up with Grechie last night. The only thing that I have noticed is that since I have put it on my average fuel/100kms has gone from 7.6litres to 11.2litres
I think thats just a right foot problem not exactly a direct result as such

Old 08-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
BigDaddy
Tampered Motorsport

You gotta be able to hear it or else there is no point putting the system on the car!! lol
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Extractors will always give more power as long as the car:

- Has a suitable sized exhaust
- Is tuned properly
- Has no intake restriction.

The better an engine flows (intake air + combustion + exhaust gas), the more potential there is for power, with big cams, bigger exhaust valves, more compression, etc.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34
Went to my mechanic last night and we were talking about cars (Duuurr), apparenlty he was telling me that his mate put extractors on this falcon and he acutaly lost power, i find it hard to belive but he was explaining and tell me about it, the mainifold for a ford is about as good as it gets, and making it breathe to much via extractors to much heat is generated due to the pipes, Just something to think about, ....It was about 15- 20hp loss i think from memory, anyone else heard of this????
B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T!

Either his mate is lying to him, or his mate (or whoever fitted them) has by some miracle cocked it up and has a serious vacuum leak, or some other reason, but if he is saying this he needs to be smacked up the back of the head.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Yeah look im not putting down extractors for one second, but the mech. was telling me about it how he took him n his friend down to the dyno and all, maby somthing wrong witht the car:S?, oh by the way have you guys heard of this speical tape that you wrap around the exctractors so that the heat doesn't get in your engine bay? its around $50 for it, and apparnlty really affective.
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
Sundeep
Banned

Extractors are definitely crap.

Anyone with JMM Streetfighters feel free to PM me I will come get rid of yours they're useless.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #12
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

extractors are crap? why you say this Sundeep?
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The tape does work but it can also cause your extractors to get too hot inside and crack or rot essentially, getting them coated like jethot coating is a much better idea.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Quote:
Yeah look im not putting down extractors for one second, but the mech. was telling me about it how he took him n his friend down to the dyno and all, maby somthing wrong witht the car:S?, oh by the way have you guys heard of this speical tape that you wrap around the exctractors so that the heat doesn't get in your engine bay? its around $50 for it, and apparnlty really affective.
I was told yesterday when I got my exhaust fitted that the heatproof tape is not good. I was told that with everyday cars the tape shouldn't be used as it burns out the extractors. It should be used for more high powered cars. Does this sound right to anyone? I had the tape on mine so I took it off
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

Old 08-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #15
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
The tape does work but it can also cause your extractors to get too hot inside and crack or rot essentially, getting them coated like jethot coating is a much better idea.
Plus that tape looks ugly as...

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Quote:
I think thats just a right foot problem not exactly a direct result as such
LOL. I don't know. I was driving normal on the freeway and the INST LITRES was 9-10, usually it sits at 6-7.

Quote:
There is the answer I was after. We must have posted at the same time LOL

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)

Old 08-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #17
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
oh by the way have you guys heard of this speical tape that you wrap around the exctractors so that the heat doesn't get in your engine bay? its around $50 for it, and apparnlty really affective.
Thermal wrap, yeah been around for years mate.....mostly used on drag cars and that sort of thing. It does a descent job, but not really necessary on normal street cars (unless you also have a 7 foot rear wing and neons underneath ).
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #18
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Extractors aren't a magic power pill BUT a well considered aftermarket exhaust will always be better than what it came from the factory with (on a Falcon.) There is such a thing as too big an exhaust that affects back pressure but I'd be surprised if extractors were such a negative on their own.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #19
frd_crzer
:D:D

that is bullshit then y did they put extrators an some cars from factory like mark_td LTD its got factory extractors
Old 08-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #20
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd_crzer
that is bullshit then y did they put extrators an some cars from factory like mark_td LTD its got factory extractors
Errr.. those pressbent pieces of garbage that E-Series Windsor motors have aren't what you'd call "extractors", they are a terrible exhaust manifold.

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #21
webby_191189
low wagooon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Thermal wrap, yeah been around for years mate.....mostly used on drag cars and that sort of thing. It does a descent job, but not really necessary on normal street cars (unless you also have a 7 foot rear wing and neons underneath ).

I belive the proper name for that is RICE

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #22
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyXR6Turbo
Errr.. those pressbent pieces of garbage that E-Series Windsor motors have aren't what you'd call "extractors", they are a terrible exhaust manifold.
Agreed! press bent pieces of crap :P

Any proper tuned length exhaust manifold will be far better than any cast iron manifold.

The lengths and diameters of the primary and secondary pipes have to be carefully chosen to suit the pulse of the exhaust, to give you the optimum amount of back pressure.

A lot of people buy a set of extractors off the shelf, thinking that it will do wonders... Sure lots of R&D have gone into them, but they aren't tailored to your individual engine...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #23
burkie_21
wild xr8

thats true, my genie system cost around $2500, makes it sound unreal. glad i didn't pay for it
burkie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #24
Rollin
Banned

As others have said, the mechanic had no clue. First dyno was probably done at JMM and the 'after' dyno was probably done somewhere accurate...

Also, heat tape is bad if you want any kind of life from your exhaust - the metal gets too hot, cools down too fast, gets brittle and then cracks.

Hybrid: Sundeep = sarcasm
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #25
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

haha, so outta all of this the mech i was talking to could be right and not bull shittin?
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Old 08-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #26
gngtho
Banned

I had pacemakers on mine, and found that the car got slugish with better noise, and alot of heat, changed to factory man, with a nice exhaust and its much better, and less fuel is used.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
haha, so outta all of this the mech i was talking to could be right and not bull shittin?
Um, no. The only car I know of that lost power when extractors were fitted was my AU1 XR6 VCT. But it gained around 10% torque, and for that it dropped 1rwkw peak power (still better power thorough the rev range though). It's torque that gets you moving anyway.

Extractors will beat a cast manifold each and every time.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngtho
I had pacemakers on mine, and found that the car got slugish with better noise, and alot of heat, changed to factory man, with a nice exhaust and its much better, and less fuel is used.
Sounds like a manifold leak to me, rather than an actual problem with the extractors. How can a restrictive system be better than a free flowing system? It can't.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #29
Rollin
Banned

Quote:
No....sundeep said that extractors were crap and specificly stated he would relieve anyone of their JMM streetfighters if they so desired because he wants a set...it was a joke.

Extractors > cast iron
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post