Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
xygthop3
SIR DOOF DOOF =D

Unhappy New P Plate Laws

hey gues just wanted to know if ne1 knows for sure wat is excatly going on with these laws.. I ahve called vicroads and i have spoken to poilice officers and i have cheked that arrive alive thing....no1 seems to hve thier mind made up on waht is going on..
I am building a Xe fairmont Ghia and i have so for 7 months and i love cars to the bare metal and have grown up with building and restoring them..If these laws cum out its gonna ge a hardride for me and most of my mates that love cars...

Old 22-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
XzLr8
Banned

well to the best of my knowledge as off july 1st this year any getting there license after this date will only basically be able to drive 4/6 cylinders without any modifications that affect power to weight ratios.
v8s,turbo/supercharged cars are out of the question and as far as i know you are limited to 1 person in the car for the first year of your license. but im also curious about these laws as ive just lost my license for 6 months and am curious to see if it affects me when i get my license back in september.
XzLr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xygthop3
hey gues just wanted to know if ne1 knows for sure wat is excatly going on with these laws.. I ahve called vicroads and i have spoken to poilice officers and i have cheked that arrive alive thing....no1 seems to hve thier mind made up on waht is going on..
I am building a Xe fairmont Ghia and i have so for 7 months and i love cars to the bare metal and have grown up with building and restoring them..If these laws cum out its gonna ge a hardride for me and most of my mates that love cars...
Can you say that again in english please?

Old 22-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Can you say that again in english please?
:
Old 22-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah, no disrespect to you mate, but that message looks like a giant SMS !

Punctuation, Caps, & correct spelling make a post a lot easier to read....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
yabby6
The Convert

I looked into this a while ago, I found all the information on websites I found through the vicroads website. From that, it seemed to me that it will work this way; the new laws will only affect those who get their licenses issued after the laws come into force. If your license is suspended and you get it back after the laws come in, it doesn't affect you. If your license is cancelled and you get it back after the laws come in, it affects you.

Edit: The laws have already started coming in, one introduced this year was related to drink driving, not really sure what it involved didn't look into it.

Some other changes coming in later will include passenger restrictions, v8s, turbos, superchargers and some specified v6 cars will be banned from p platers, and towing restrictions (unless for work or under supervision). There were others but I can't remember them right now.
yabby6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

wasn't it once mentioned that.... if you have a.. for some examples, v8 302/308 .. or car with a turbo.. than the restrictions do not affect you ... unless you were to put the car under your name after the restrictions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabby6
towing restrictions (unless for work or under supervision).
If I read the site correctly, it said something like.. P1's are not to tow unless they are being supervised but can tow for work related things without being supervised.

P2's can Tow without the above restrictions
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
How do you get Babel Fish to work in here ?
Old 22-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I found them !! no link for source though

Quote:
For P1 drivers, towing not permitted except for work or when under instruction. Towing adds complexity to the driving task, and new drivers are more likely to be affected by this. New drivers need to consolidate their driving skills without additional distractions.

also:
New high powered vehicle restriction will prevent probationary drivers from driving vehicles with:

* engines with eight or more cylinders
* turbocharged or supercharged engines
* nominated high performance six cylinder engines
* engines that have been modified to increase the vehicle’s performance.
It doesn't pacifically say current probationary drivers for power restriction though..

Also.....May as well throw the rest in here whilst I'm at it...
Quote:

P1 Probationary Drivers
One year minimum
Safer transition to solo driving:

* reduce high risk activities
* encourage safe driving

New P1 Requirements

* No mobile phone use, hands free or hands held, or any messaging of any kind.
* No towing (unless for work or if under instruction).
* Restrictions on driving high powered vehicles such as eight cylinder cars, cars with turbocharged or supercharged engines, and nominated high performance six-cylinder cars. Offences will attract a fine and three demerit points.
* Drink-driving offenders will have to fit an alcohol ignition interlock for a minimum of six months when re-licensed.
* Any licence suspension, drink-driving offence with a BAC up to 0.05, or drug driving offence, will result in an extension of the P1 period for six months, plus the period of suspension. A passenger limit will apply for the balance of the P1 period.
* Existing P provisions will apply: Zero BAC; display P Plates; compulsory carriage of P licence; if tested in an automatic vehicle, can only drive a vehicle with automatic transmission; and five or more demerit points in any 12 month period may result in licence suspension.
Also....
Quote:

P2 Probationary Drivers
Three year minimum
Consolidate safe driving skills and encourage safe driving
New P2 Requirements

* Restrictions on driving high powered vehicles such as eight cylinder cars, cars with turbocharged or supercharged engines, and nominated high performance six-cylinder cars. Offences will attract a fine and three demerit points.
* Drink-driving offenders will have to fit an alcohol ignition interlock for a minimum of six months when re-licensed.
* Any licence suspension, drink-driving offence with a BAC up to 0.05, or drug driving offence, will result in an extension of the P2 period for six months, plus the period of suspension.
* Existing P provisions will apply: Zero BAC; display P Plates; compulsory carriage of P licence; if tested in an automatic vehicle, can only drive a vehicle with automatic transmission; and five or more demerit points in any 12 month period may result in licence suspension.

Also....
Quote:
Applying for a probationary licence test when under 21 years of age
Must have at least 120 hours of driving experience, including 10 hours at night
No requirement for minimum amounts of driving experienceInexperience is the most significant crash factor for young drivers.
Research shows that learners who practise more are safer as newly licensed drivers.
Learners with 120 hours supervised practice have a 30 per cent lower crash risk in the first two years of licensed driving than learners with only 40 hours of supervised practice.
Must have held a learner permit for at least 12 monthsMust hold a learner permit for at least six months (or three months if 25 years or older)New learners who complete a short learner period are estimated to have had less practice and have an increased crash risk.
Spreading practice over longer time periods improves skill development.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Won't be changing my licence to Victorian any time soon then...

On another note it's funny a mate of mine asked about these laws while over at Vicroads the other day and nobody in the office knew if they were coming in, what a great help...

Just like when i was going to Buy my parents AUII XR8, called Vicroads to see if it were legal and the guy on the phone told me...

"Im on my P's and drive a worked skyline, evan if the XR8 is over the power to weight (He didn't know) don't worry about it because they (police) never pull you up"

Thats the sort of advice they give you No joke!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
xygthop3
SIR DOOF DOOF =D

SORRY GUYS
i have a habbit of typing like that. It's not a good one.
All i was asking if that anybody knew about the new p plate laws that were going to be inforced.

sorry guys..lol
Old 23-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
xygthop3
SIR DOOF DOOF =D

i called up VICROADS today and they told me that thier not 100% sure if the laws are going to be in
The guy was a p'plater himself and he said
"They postponed the Green P plates for 5 years and alot of people have complained about it"
he goes not 2 worry as thier is only a 40% chance of them bringing in the law
WAT A JOKE...lol
Old 28-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what if the only cars ur parents own are v8's can you drive it then if so ill be puttin my car in there name
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #14
kocho
The Futuriser

No, philxy. It doesnt work that way.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

actually as a matter of fact it does work if the only cars in the family are V8's or high powered things, check the RTA website. its under exepmtions
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #16
kocho
The Futuriser

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...erVehicles.htm

"Probationary driver licence holders must not drive high powered vehicles except when driving the motor vehicle in the course of his or her employment and at the request of his or her employer. The penalties for driving a high powered motor vehicle include a heavy fine and may result in licence suspension."

So, unless you are employed by your parents....

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #17
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Im pretty sure from memory, that if your parents say owned a GT-P at 290Kw and a XR8 at 260Kw and that is all that they owned and registered to that adress, you can legally drive the XR8.

Allthough it was only a Police officer who told me, so you might have to check the web site _
Old 28-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
Force6

Quote:
Originally Posted by philxy351
what if the only cars ur parents own are v8's can you drive it then if so ill be puttin my car in there name
It doesn't matter whos name the car is under. You can't drive any of the prohibited cars, unless you apply for an exception (work purposes, etc). It's the same in NSW. Not sure if the parent car thing is a valid exception...
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #19
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

funny how these laws are only for P plates and not Learner drivers (in NSW)
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #20
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn cause the old man and i bought an xy with a 351 a few years back and i was devo when these laws were brought in. my parents cars are an ed xr8 and a xb gt rep now this means i have to buy sumthin else possibly a motobike.
thanks anyway !
Old 28-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose10
funny how these laws are only for P plates and not Learner drivers (in NSW)
I'd say the thinking behind this is that a Learner has a (supposedly) competent driver beside them. P platers are solo.
Old 28-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #22
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

me fail english thats unpossible

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #23
Force6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I'd say the thinking behind this is that a Learner has a (supposedly) competent driver beside them. P platers are solo.
Exactly. Although I don't agree with the speed restrictions. I used to go down the M4 at exactly the same speeds as everyone else (110+), and I don't really think it would have made much of a difference if I encountered trouble as if I was going at 90.

I'm not sure what the justification for the speed limits is. A young, mentally alert person who is at the near peak of their reflexes, won't react as fast as an experienced driver? I suppose you might say full-licensed drivers would know how to react better, but I don't know many people who have experienced high speed disasters (blown tires, crashes etc).

Just my two cents.
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #24
SXCXR6
Banned

I say get rid of p plates and bring in O plates coz old people are the worst drivers on the road.
SXCXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #25
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For NSW from http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...onditions.html :

"A limited exemption from the prohibited vehicle condition may be granted if:

More powerful vehicles are required for genuine employment purposes (the RTA application requires a statutory declaration to be provided by an employer/registered operator).
Eight or more cylinder 4WD vehicles are required by country drivers who have no practical alternative.
The provisional driver can prove direct ownership of a prohibited vehicle prior to the start of the scheme or before an overseas/interstate licence transfer.
The provisional holder is disqualified and can prove direct ownership of their current vehicle at the time of the offence that led to the disqualification.
The principal family vehicle is a moderate performance turbo/supercharged engine vehicle."

The exemption form doesn't list a family car. That seems to come under "Other reason". All exemptions are for "exceptional circumstances" so nobody is guaranteed. Ownership prior to teh introduction of these rules is a possible exemption.

Now, this is for NSW but I'd be amazed if Vic didn't have the same exemptions.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #26
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers mate!
thanks for that
Old 28-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #27
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
The provisional driver can prove direct ownership of a prohibited vehicle prior to the start of the scheme or before an overseas/interstate licence transfer.
Hrrm, can anyone confirm whether this is stated on the Vicroads site, or the same rule applys in Victoria, i might change my Licence over yet...

I'll be making a phone call tommorow...
Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 AM   #28
nawid

well that suxs doesnt it?
lol
feel sorry for the new P platers.
got mine last year

nawid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #29
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXCXR6
I say get rid of p plates and bring in O plates coz old people are the worst drivers on the road.
After that comment I assume that you've made out your Will?
Old 02-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #30
-=FoRdEseries=-

Well what i have gathered is that the p1 and p2 licence's come in on the 1st july 2008 and the high performance rules come in july 1st 2007(100% sure on that one), that their are classes of mods (not 100% sure on this one) but its high mods eg superchargers, turbos arent allowed unless stock, no v8s ect, medium mods include engine mods like aftermarket stuff, and finally low mods including 2 n 2.5" exhausts. The low mods you can most probally get away with and also engine mods. i got this of nsw ppl because thats how some ppl see it over there.
-=FoRdEseries=- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post