Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Default XR6 STs, BAs & strange car yard cars

I'm looking around at Falcons - it won't be my first, by the way, but certainly my first in many years - and have been looking at getting a stock BA XT for around $13K. But, at the same time, I sometimes see AU XR6's around the same price. Sometimes they're even the VCT models. And I think "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..."

Anyway, I recently saw an XR in a caryard. It was green, and missing all its badges besides the blue oval on the front. You know how some people like to clean all the badges off? Assuming its not an XR8, I have concluded it might be an XR6 ST like the guy's here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=69615

The main reason for thinking this is that the rear bumper was the same style, with the mesh grille. Is this what's known as a Rebel bodykit? Of course, being de-badged, there's not even an ST sticker down the side of the car and I couldn't climb the fence to see if it was a leather interior, which might have provided another clue.

I'd point you guys at this online, if I could find it online. However, I have searched across HEAPS of car sites and I can't see it. Yet it's down there, very much for sale, right now.

Of course, the sensible thing will be to get back to that caryard ASAP and have a proper look. I don't really want to be calling and asking them to check all this stuff and tipping them off to the fact they might be selling a VCT for cheap! Some random questions that come to mind in the meantime:

* Is it common for people to whack an ST rear bumper on stock XR6s? Could be one explanation.

* Would any of you be put off by the car being de-badged? Not in an aesthetic sense, but more in the sense that if a car had to be repsprayed, for example, that might be another reason it's badgeless?

* Why should I go for the XR6 and not a BA XT (or even Futura)? To my reading, the standard BA engine is pretty darn good, and generates a nice amount of kw on its lonesome. Would I be buying an AU XR6 more for its looks and getting a few things, like alloys, straight off the bat? Any other reasons?

All thoughts appreciated! :

XR Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

The AUIII XR6 VCT ST only came in four colours. Green was NOT one of them.

It may not even be an XR - base model AU with the XR front and FTR skirting and rear bar ala Rebel.

Why go for the AUIII XR6 over the BA XT? Over 150 years of Tickford heritage.
Old 23-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
The AUIII XR6 VCT ST only came in four colours. Green was NOT one of them.
Gotcha. So that now narrows things down from the start

Quote:
It may not even be an XR - base model AU with the XR front and FTR skirting and rear bar ala Rebel.
Really? Are they very common? I guess I always thought re-doing the front would be a pain in the ****, but I guess some people will do anything. Would be interesting to see the engine...

Quote:
Why go for the AUIII XR6 over the BA XT? Over 100 years of Tickford heritage.
*Nod* that's kind of what I was thinking. Picking up the last of the AU Tickfords.

Thanks for the fast reply too, mate!
Old 23-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

AU VCT models are a nice piece of kit for staters they are probably faster than a BA XT, due to weight and superior diff ration, Secondly they already have the goodies like LSD, bodykit mags, colour coding and reasonable interior (ok some people dont like the look, but it isnt as plastic fantastic as BA), plus they have superior IRS in the VCT model

And as stated before they have a hundred years of tickford heritage and will have infinately better resale compared to EA Gl/AU I Forte of the future the future, that the XT will one day be

If you can afford the dosh for a nice BA XR/Mont/FPV model and want an exclusive piece of kit the XR6 VCT/ AU Fairmont Ghia VCT would have to be the way to go

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Doesnt have to be a VCT. The VCT has come along way as most people will tell you, depends wat u want to do with it there are plenty of nice HP XR's around aswell and they are a little ahead in the mods dept if u find an S3 HP it more then likely will have factory bodykit and all the goods. But as has been said VCT has the supeior IRS which is much better ( i had an HP XR6 then onto T series) the T is a much better ride. Do u want a V8 that is another question if u can stretch abit (not that much) an XR8 could be in the equation.
If not id go an S3 XR6 VCT/or ST if u can find one
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Rob
Really? Are they very common? I guess I always thought re-doing the front would be a pain in the ****, but I guess some people will do anything. Would be interesting to see the engine...
Putting XR bumpers/lights/bonnet on a Forte is certainly not unusual. Plenty of instances of owners doing this on these forums.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

^ I agree with Fairlane. AU Quality over BA POS.
Old 23-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Putting XR bumpers/lights/bonnet on a Forte is certainly not unusual. Plenty of instances of owners doing this on these forums.
Who does that? lol.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't say the BA is a total peice of smelly stuff. I drove a BF XT on friday with around 25,000 on the clock. It didn't handle well and there were a few things wrong with the car, but overall it was ok. What i noticed is that compared to my AU, it was terrible. I think purely based on the fact is that my car is an XR, it got a few things base models didn't. The XT was a base model, no frills, and of course they seem to wear and date quicker than an XR model, and they are common.

I would always think being an XR, no matter from which series or model, it will always be better than a base model falcon. You pay for what you get.

If it was me, I'd go the AU. At the end of the day, it will be an XR and it will have a few nice things, compared to a high K BA XT. I just think on the models such as the XR, it will always be built with a little quality in mind. The base Models tend to turn into Taxi's when they have High K's.

I know the tide has turned since the BA. They are mass produced now, where as earlier models, or tickford models were taken to Tickford for a health Spa. Just my 2c worth
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I wouldn't say the BA is a total peice of smelly stuff. I drove a BF XT on friday with around 25,000 on the clock. It didn't handle well and there were a few things wrong with the car, but overall it was ok. What i noticed is that compared to my AU, it was terrible. I think purely based on the fact is that my car is an XR, it got a few things base models didn't. The XT was a base model, no frills, and of course they seem to wear and date quicker than an XR model, and they are common.

I would always think being an XR, no matter from which series or model, it will always be better than a base model falcon. You pay for what you get.

If it was me, I'd go the AU. At the end of the day, it will be an XR and it will have a few nice things, compared to a high K BA XT. I just think on the models such as the XR, it will always be built with a little quality in mind. The base Models tend to turn into Taxi's when they have High K's.

I know the tide has turned since the BA. They are mass produced now, where as earlier models, or tickford models were taken to Tickford for a health Spa. Just my 2c worth
Nice theory bucky, but there is no build quality difference between a base model and an XR, or a high series model. There are build quality differences between cars in the same model (Monday/Friday cars, etc). Tickford only really added the body kits to the XRs, so don't think that means their build quality is any better - in fact, ever noticed how the front bar doesn't quite sit flush? I would say all models tend to turn into "taxis", as you put it, when they get into high kms, unless all wear and tear items (shocks, bushes, etc) are replaced to keep things tight. Also, the BA base model comes with control blade suspension and IRS - a hell of a lot better system than any suspension setup on the AUs.

Still, if I could get a 2003 BA XT for $13k, or a 2002 AU3 XR6 for the same money, I'd go the XR any day, unless the XT was a 5.4
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 23-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id go the au. Its so damn sexy.
Old 23-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #12
SVR73
Mr Polish

[QUOTE=JC]Nice theory bucky, but there is no build quality difference between a base model and an XR, or a high series model. There are build quality differences between cars in the same model (Monday/Friday cars, etc). Tickford only really added the body kits to the XRs, so don't think that means their build quality is any better - in fact, ever noticed how the front bar doesn't quite sit flush?

Mine does.

I liked that BA POS post.
The spastic plastic BA-BF interiors are just about the worst of any falcon.
Old 23-01-2007, 08:23 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

The Rebel bodykit was available on 6's and 8's wasnt it? I know there's an XR6 HP here with one, has the 16" rims too.
Old 23-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
Mine does.
Look again - I'm betting it doesn't. None of them do. The shape of the plastic is different to the metal guards, and they all buckle at the grille area. Quality? No. Good looking? Yes.

Old 23-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Still, if I could get a 2003 BA XT for $13k, or a 2002 AU3 XR6 for the same money, I'd go the XR any day, unless the XT was a 5.4
Agree 100%. I really regret (read really, really, really, really regret) not buying an AU XR6 or 8.

The XT would have to be an 8 to swing the 13K deal for me. Manual would be nice too!

But a base model, I'd take the XR for sure!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #16
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Ha! I actually found this car... and it's listed as a Forte. But you can see the changes I mentioned (like the Rebel rear bumper), in these pics. Case closed.

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/FO...&pp=8&d=0&nv=1
Old 24-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #17
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

They've mixed up the photos - there are two different cars featured there!
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #18
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Yeah, the last two shots seem to belong to another entry.
Old 24-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #19
Sapper
Back to the AU

XR Rob, after owning the ST you mentioned in your first post and driving a number of BA's (MkI Futura Sedan, MkI Futura Wagon, MkI XR6 Manual, MkII XT LPG Wagon) I'd say an AU II/III XR6 is the go. Unless you plan on doing some serious engine work, I'd recommend getting one with VCT. The IRS in it is fantastic and the VCT motor revs out well. I wouldn't worry about looking for an ST as there are only 125 of them and many people are asking in excess of $20K for one. I was lucky in that I got mine for a good price.

As for people putting ST badges on XR6's or Forte's, you don't wanna know what would happen to them....:
Old 24-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #20
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Thanks hot xr6.

I have my eye on a AUII XR6 VCT as we speak, actually...!