Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

Default AU 5LTR into EB XR8

hy guys,

i was at the wreckers today and i was eyeing off this AUII XR8 5LTR that was for sale, and i was told that putting it into my car (EBI XR8) would only reauire me to swap over my dizzy instead of the coil pack and get it tuned, is this true?
how easy would it be to get done?

thanks

Juz

JUZXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

I looked at this swap for quite a while, but the money ended up not being there.

As far as I know it's a pretty straight forward engine swap, except for the obvious things, such as engine management computer, etc.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 22-01-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

you aint picked up this bar yet? Do the conversion AU XR motor's are good?

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

AU2, I can't remember if that was the 200kw motor or 185kw motor..... Yours is 165 or something now.. I think :|
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
AU2, I can't remember if that was the 200kw motor or 185kw motor..... Yours is 165 or something now.. I think :|
EB = 165kW
AU1 = 185kW
AU2 = 200kW
Late AU2 =220kW
AU3 = 220kW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU 1 Non XR8 was 175 as well. (unless you are just talking xr8's here?) :O
Old 22-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

You don't need to change the ECU, just drop your distributor in as you said, and get a set of extractors that fit GT40P heads. Use your injectors, MAF, ECU, sensors etc and she'll run fine.

[Edit] - If you want it to run properly you'll need to tap a thread in the valley cover for the ACT (Ambient Charge Temp) sensor. You can put it in the intake pipe, but the ECU will think the air is colder coming into the motor and over-fuel to compensate.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Last edited by Aaron_EF8; 22-01-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added extra info
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
and get a set of extractors that fit GT40P heads
I'm not sure on the port specs, but would a set of Pacemaker competition headers suit those heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
You can put it in the intake pipe, but the ECU will think the air is colder coming into the motor and over-fuel to compensate.
Couldn't this be balanced out with tuning?
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I'm currently fitting an AU 5L Bottom end in my ED and its a straight swap, Drop the dizzy in and keep your current ecu.

The only differences are the water pump as it has no thread for the clutch fan and its a different shape and the harmonic balancer is different but it will still use the same belt and line up with all the auxileries.

I'm keeping my current heads and bolting them up to the AU bottom end so i can't offer advice in that respect but it should be all good except you will need different headers to suit if you use the GT-40p's. Hope this helps.
Old 22-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #10
Psycho Chicken
Banned

If I were doing it again I'd pull the EB engine out, bolt on all the ancillaries from the EB donk, drop the dizzy in and slap it all back together. I'd also look at changing the cam while it's all easy to get to.

I went the hard way though. Stripped an AU engine, slapped the manifolds and TB on. Heads are currently getting a hobo port job waiting for all the cam gear to be collected.

And you don't need different headers for the GT40Ps. Number 5 and 6 spark plugs will be hard to get at, worst case chuck long life plugs in it and unbolt the header when you need to change them. You will need new plug leads though.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post