Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Default What to do?

i am looking to slightly upgrade my sound system in the eb. i have already purchased front splits, rear 6'' and i have a cd player 45W - which is pritty crap with no pre-outs.

i have $600 which i can spend (yes i know its not much) but i was wondering should i:

1. Buy a good head unit eg.400 (mp3, usb) and get a cheapish 4 channel amp (or no amp)
2. I wait to buy head unit + amp + sub
3. Run a amp which does not require rca's (strathfield sells 1 i am told)
4. Other opinions

which is the best way to do it.
i was thinking to wait because of the new inbuilt 1gig hard drive that is starting to be sold (strathfield) and it will be cheaper later on

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

600 bucks should get you a 12" sub in a box and a decent 4 channel amp with hi-level inputs (heaps of amps have them these days). Then run the front splits and the subwoofer from the amp and the rear speakers off the deck. Try and get an amp with a remote bass controller as well then you will have a seperate sub control. Have a look at some Jaycar, Coustic and possibly Cadence for bang for buck and remote bass controllers. Stay away from the Boss Audio and crap like that that Strathfield sells.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 03:10 AM   #3
penrith_panther
EB II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphell
600 bucks should get you a 12" sub in a box and a decent 4 channel amp with hi-level inputs (heaps of amps have them these days). Then run the front splits and the subwoofer from the amp and the rear speakers off the deck. Try and get an amp with a remote bass controller as well then you will have a seperate sub control. Have a look at some Jaycar, Coustic and possibly Cadence for bang for buck and remote bass controllers. Stay away from the Boss Audio and crap like that that Strathfield sells.
yeh Boss from strathfield is ****...I played a CD in my mate's boss system (amp & sub) last weekend and the bass was distorted as...even my standard system without amp/sub didnt play the song that bad
penrith_panther is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Screw Strathfield...

Head to JB Hi Fi if you want something reasonable that won't send you broke. I have my eye on a Kenwood 4x50/MP3/WMA/AAC/3 RCA/ for $299, but there are Pioneer, and other Kenwood, or Sony and Alpine to choose from.

As for amps, Pioneer, Kenwood, Cadence, Kicker, JL Audio, and more. Speaker selection is huge and you should be able to put together a good package that you can build on later when you have more cash.

Victorian stores are listed here:

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/stores/stat....php?store=VIC
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Screw strathfield And JB... I think they all sell crap...
IMO if you want bang for your buck go with clarion... Yes I know its not the best gear but it goes hard for the price...(excluding that I brought the most expensive one on the self) clarion H/U can be had for about $300 easy and look for sale's were they are trying to flog off last years gear,but there is nothing wrong with older gear...Then buy some jaycar 6" splits with a small 4xchannel response amp to run them off...

Infact I am thinking of upgrading my H/U so I might be selling mine...
My H/U is the clarion one that you can save Music on the H/U and it is 52x4W

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cylEA
Infact I am thinking of upgrading my H/U so I might be selling mine...
My H/U is the clarion one that you can save Music on the H/U and it is 52x4W
thanks everyone for the feedback.
if you decide to sell this send me a pm

i think i might go down to jb and speak to the guy and see what he recommends.

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Yeah I just find there prices a little high...

Like the $900 90W kicker speakers...

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post