Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
XRated
Shoot.

Default What's the truth about cannons?

I'm hoping to get an honest answer before bagging out ricers....

So... What's the deal with cannon exhausts?

I personally despise them because they look hideous and produce a woeful hollow, echoey drone.

There are plenty of nice Japanese cars that can look exceptional but are spoiled by a silly 6" exhaust that hangs 30mm from the ground. I think I've only seen two modded imports that have a very tasteful and expensive looking exhaust setup (S15 200sx).

Do they aid performance? Are they just supposed to make more noise? Are they meant to look good?

I'd also like to know if the exhaust on "Big Joe's" BA TT GT are cannons.

Cheers

20V Turbo

Old 13-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Big yep, but not cannons.

I think the issue here is fashion more than function, turbo cars seem to gain more hp thorugh an average size pipe than a V8 does.

Old 13-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

They are cannons in the pic - but looks like only the 4" version.

IIRC, the whole cannon thing started with the Porsch 928, and mazda RX7 series 4 - these cars both have twin pipes, and the last bit of the rear section is an integrated muffler/tailpipe (ie cannon). From there, it's just gone silly, with Honda civics and Hyundais all wearing 6" cannons that do nought. They don't even look good.

If a cannon deepened my exhaust note, I would get one - ie for function, not looks. But at around $500 each, there are better ways to get a deep note on a V8.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 13-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How funny I was reading a Street Commodores mag just then and two of the cars had cannons and thought how gay. Cannons on muscle look out of place.

My WRX ideally (I will be buying second hand so might have to go twin tips) will be getting one for noise and function although not overly huge. Boxer burble Although it does sound quite good stock.

More than 4" is pushing it I reckon. If it's well designed it does help performance.

Just adding a cannon onto a stock system won't do anything except for make it sound different.
Old 13-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

absolute ricer crap. 1" pipe into 6" tip, see it all the time, its ridiculous.
Old 13-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think it's like a Exhaust store once advertised

"If your car doesn't go fast, we can make it sound like it does"
Old 13-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
5L
[ 5L ]

in theory putting a jap box (see 'milo tin') on a standard exhuast would loose power because it is one more muffler that you are adding on, we tried to tell this to a mate with a celica but he got it done anyway, along with a supercheap wing, and greedy, apexi, trust stickers on his doors, his car was a laughing matter at many parties. thankgod he brought that wh stato.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 13-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
in theory putting a jap box (see 'milo tin') on a standard exhuast would loose power because it is one more muffler that you are adding on, we tried to tell this to a mate with a celica but he got it done anyway, along with a supercheap wing, and greedy, apexi, trust stickers on his doors, his car was a laughing matter at many parties. thankgod he brought that wh stato.
mate had some of those stupid stickers down the side of his car too, so one day i replaced them all with 'im a ******* ricer' stickers (i work at a signwriting place). i think he finally got a clue after that hehe.
Old 13-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFshep
absolute ricer crap. 1" pipe into 6" tip, see it all the time, its ridiculous.
Agreed. I think if you fit them for noise you need a life. Illusions of being a boy racer. Note that any increase in noise over what was standard for that vehicle is considered defective and is illegal.
Old 13-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
Agreed. I think if you fit them for noise you need a life. Illusions of being a boy racer. Note that any increase in noise over what was standard for that vehicle is considered defective and is illegal.
Depends if it was at the legal noise level in the first place. As long as your exhaust isn't louder then certain dB for where you live then it's legal, noise wise that is.

Emissions are an entirely different story.
Old 13-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Depends if it was at the legal noise level in the first place. As long as your exhaust isn't louder then certain dB for where you live then it's legal, noise wise that is.

Emissions are an entirely different story.
Not in NSW. The regulations are explicit (read up if you like). There is an absolute dB limit PLUS legislation that the noise cannot be more than what was standard for that car. I don't need to qoute RTA again here - been through it before.
Old 13-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not in NSW. The regulations are explicit (read up if you like). There is an absolute dB limit PLUS legislation that the noise cannot be more than what was standard for that car. I don't need to qoute RTA again here - been through it before.
Really, never knew that.
Old 13-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Quote:

It that is the case, then the RTA and Police aren't doing a very good job enforcing that rule! I assume then that the exhaust/muffler shops should be also prosecuted for supply defective parts?
Old 13-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
It that is the case, then the RTA and Police aren't doing a very good job enforcing that rule! I assume then that the exhaust/muffler shops should be also prosecuted for supply defective parts?
Yeah but then the government wouldn't be able to double dip. Allow the sale of illegal parts and get the tax from the sale and then get the revenue raised from the defect.
Old 13-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #15
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I wasnt aware it was that strict, thought it was just a definate dB limit..... something like 97dB or so.
Old 13-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
I wasnt aware it was that strict, thought it was just a definate dB limit..... something like 97dB or so.

From: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/no...hiclenoise.htm

"Defective mufflers

Vehicle owners and operators should ensure that their vehicles are not fitted with defective mufflers (referred to as 'noise control equipment' in Clause 18 of the Regulation). Defective noise control equipment is defined as:

* equipment that allows the emission of more noise than the original noise control equipment fitted by the vehicle manufacturer, or
* equipment that has been modified in a way that makes it less effective than it would have been without the modification, or
* equipment that allows gas to escape from a place other than the intended exhaust outlet, or
* if the equipment concerned comprises a system of mufflers – the system contains fewer mufflers – than the original system fitted by the manufacturer.

Listen to the exhaust system when buying a vehicle. If the vehicle sounds noisier than unmodified vehicles of the same make and model, its system may have been altered. If in doubt, make inquiries. The system should be replaced with a quieter system when:

* the exhaust system has been replaced with an excessively loud system such as a sports system, or
* the baffles have been altered or removed from the muffler so the vehicle is noisier."

There is provision there to fine even if the noise is below the dB limit but above what was standard for that vehicle. The only interpretation might be between "muffler" and "noise control equipment".
Old 13-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #17
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Yeah I just found that the pre-1983 dB limit is 96dB and the post-1983 limit is 90dB.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/vi...2000+first+0+N
Old 13-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #18
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Well I guess the EPA has a lot of work to do.....good luck to them!!
Old 13-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #19
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
I would not say that was true about the Police, RTA and the EPA doing much about noise emissions. The exhaust shop up the road refuses to install any Cannon onto any car.. He is in-fact removing at least 1 cannon a week on riced up cars that have been defected by either the Police, RTA or EPA. He has had as many a 20 in one week after a Police Sting on the Gold Coast...

It is also law that if a exhaust shop (or any performance shop) installs an non-EPA approved product to a new car, they are braking the Law and are subjected to penalties..... I know of one tune shop that had there own exhaust system... One of the cars his exhaust was on was tested by the EPA an it came 1DB over the limit.. It cost the shop ten of thousands of dollars to rectify the problem.... Unfortunately the EPA is a part of life now and we have to learn to live with it, and as time goes by the EPA will be enforced more and more..

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 13-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

It's not so much the RTA that is the problem here it's Laminge's friends the EPA... a couple of snippets from their site.

Defective noise control equipment is defined as:
• equipment that allows the emission of more noise than
the original noise control equipment fitted by the vehicle
manufacturer, or
• equipment that has been modified in a way that makes
it less effective than it would have been without the
modification, or
• equipment that allows gas to escape from a place other
than the intended exhaust outlet, or
• if the equipment concerned comprises a system of
mufflers - the system contains fewer mufflers - than the
original system fitted by the manufacturer.

AND...If Mr Plod wanted to be really strict they could fine most of the 'doof-doof' crowd.

Clauses 17 and 17A of the Regulation contain penalties for
offensive noise produced by vehicle sound systems (see
definition of "offensive noise" under "Noise from off-road
vehicles"). As a guide, if the sound can be clearly heard
outside the vehicle and contains low frequency noise, it is
likely to be offensive.
Under clause 17, a person who causes a motor vehicle
sound system to emit offensive noise can be issued a $150
penalty notice by the council, an authorised DEC officer or
Police. In addition, they can get 2 demerit points on their
driver's licence.

There is more there about pod filters and just about anything else the PC correct fun police can think of. :

Whoops, too slow... Bill_R beat me to it
Old 13-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #21
The Monty
Just slidin'

The truth is, they are noisy and look bad. In my opinion anyway.
Old 13-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #22
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

when i see them installed on an angle they remind me of a tuned pipe on a Go-Kart lol.
Old 13-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
when i see them installed on an angle they remind me of a tuned pipe on a Go-Kart lol.
I reckon they look better when they are angled out rather than straight.
Old 14-01-2007, 03:27 AM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
With what you drive, you would! LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 14-01-2007, 03:31 AM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
With what you drive, you would! LOL.
Yeah but I love my rice! : At least it is not out of place on my car :P
Old 14-01-2007, 03:55 AM   #26
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alot of muscle cars i see around the place have twin cannons on the rear painted matt black..
a few have a droopy type tip from the cannon styled muffler..

im glad people havnt started painting their cannons!!
driving along smelling the terrible smell of cooking paint *puke*

i think cannons look nice on some cars... CRAP on others..
on a turbo car i think they are definatly a performance piece. as the pipe is usually 3" or so and has only a cat and the cannon with no other muffler in place.

but on an excel its just silly
Old 14-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #27
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

They are SHIIT. PERIOD!
Old 14-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #28
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:

meet my friend Dr. Rice. this is what she is pointing at:

she is laughing inside.
Old 14-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #29
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

A friend picked up a second or two around Phillip Island after swapping his "name brand" full jap exhaust back to the factory stock exhaust. Didn't sound or look as tough but it went quicker on the track which is all that matters.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 14-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #30
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v

meet my friend Dr. Rice. this is what she is pointing at:

she is laughing inside.

I dont see it?

How is it rice?

Its a turbo car, fair chance he'd have exhaust, cooler and boost upgrades and rip most other street cars.

IM not sure what sort of mufflers people here think SHOULD be on turbo cars?
Closed Thread