Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #1
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Default Are these Really XR Springs?

I'm getting rid of the superlows on the Ghia and raising it to a more sensible height. I really don't want it to be any lower than XR height.

I bought what are supposed to be XR springs on eBay. Trouble is, they still look very short compared to the standard springs:

From left to right, XR Front, Standard Front, XR Rear, Standard Rear.

The heights of the springs, measured from the top edge of the top coil to the bottom edge of the bottom coil, are as follows:

XR Front: 380mm

Standard Front: 495mm.

XR Rear: 325mm

Standard Rear: 380mm

I wasn't expecting there to be such a big difference between the heights of the XR springs and the standard springs.

Do these so-called XR springs really look like XR springs, or have I now got myself a second set of superlows?

Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Look about right to me. Don't forget that the XR spring won't compress up as much as your old Ghia ones as they are "heavier" spring.
Old 20-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
Look about right to me. Don't forget that the XR spring won't compress up as much as your old Ghia ones as they are "heavier" spring.

Look like the real thing to me. Here are pics from when I did mine earlier in the year.

These are fronts.

These are rears.

From your pics the fronts are right, the back probaby also. My rears were the same, so perhaps the guy had XR spec rear springs becuase of the towbar. That might explain why I've got auto, diff and tailshaft issues. Mongrel!

Also, are you sure they are real Ford springs or Kings? I don't see any paint dobs on either of the new springs and the rear spring has a coil thats tapered as opposed to the flat look of my rear item.

JC will be able to shed more light on this I reckon.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Also, are you sure they are real Ford springs or Kings? I don't see any paint dobs on either of the new springs and the rear spring has a coil thats tapered as opposed to the flat look of my rear item.

JC will be able to shed more light on this I reckon.

GK
Thanks GK. The "new" springs have grey paint dobs on them that haven't come out in the photo. They must have been on the other side of the springs. Seeing the paint dobs on yours, they seem to be the same colour as mine, so I'm feeling a bit more relaxed and comfortable about them.

What is really interesting though is the springs currently on my car. I also bought those off eBay, and they were supposed to be XR8 springs. With these springs on the car it sits about 640mm from the floor to the tops of the wheel arches, so they obviously aren't XR springs, they are superlows of some sort.

Anyway, to make sure I wasn't getting trapped into putting superlows on again, I pulled the wheels off to compare the "new" springs with the ones on the car. The ones on the car don't have paint dobs of any kind. But what I did find attached to one of the front springs was this:

Now, the FFL-57SL seems to be a variation of a Kings Springs code for lowered XR8 springs, or superlows. I'm guessing Kings provided springs to Herrods for their suspension packages.

So it's no wonder the car is riding a bit lower and harder than an old fart like me would truly like. I'm expecting the genuine XR springs to be a bit higher and a bit more compliant.....(If anybody thinks this won't be the case, please let me know...).

The superlows also came with shocks, and the part number ends with 18010-EA which seems to be a T-series number. The shocks are blue in colour and have a Ford stamp.

I'll have the suspension change done in the next two weeks, and then I'll be selling the stuff currently on the car. That stuff seems to be a set of Herrod-spec King superlows with what might be T-series shocks, travelled only 5,000km. If anybody wants them, PM me, else you can find them on eBay on early December.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post