Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XR trim attachment

hey guys, just wondering if there is a particular adhesive i should use to attach some of that red xr-looking trim to my EB. How do i remove the chrome trim underneath first? Any suggestions as to how to not screw this up?

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

You're removing the chrome stripping for XR red stripping?
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i think it'll look nice and the red trim didnt cost me anything.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
Old 13-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

You can give me your chrome striping...

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont think the chrome is worth keeping, starting to peel and bubble in a few locations.
Anyone know good methods for removing the chrome trim without ripping up anything else, and a good adhesive for the new trim?

Former Rides:
Old 13-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

you'll need to replace the whole door moulds inc. the grey bit. just use double sided tape for that. the front and back should just pull out of the bumper and you could proberly just put the red ones in with more double sided tape i guess. or glue!
Old 13-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Holbrookau
OPT 20

Easiest way is to not replace anything - buy the correct size (and color) pin striping tape and apply it over the existing strips. That way if you decide that chrome is better you can simply peel it off.
Polished Wheel Nuts
Holbrookau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Edit:
Ok i went and had a closer look. The trim has its own adhesive backing which i didnt realise so theres one problem solved. After closer inspection, id really rather not remove the door moulds. Is it even possible to remove the door moulds without making a mess of the paint underneath? Ive seen a fair few EA-D's without door moulds which looks nice and clean, but would that require touch-ups or maybe would it have been done before a respray?
Either way, I have one small peice missing from the door moulds around the car which i managed to pick up when my friend wrote off his EB2. Should i just use double-sided tape as mentioned above?

Former Rides:

Last edited by EBTom; 13-11-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 14-11-2006, 12:45 AM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

As mentioned before thick pinstriping will give you red inserts on the doors. Double sided tape will suffice to stck on that small piece.
If you try to remove the door moulds it will make a big mess.
I like the S-Pak/XR orange moulds, I had them on my ED Ghia- nicer than the chrome ones.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #10
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

fishing line will cut through the existing double sided tape, its also the best way to remove badges! then just use metho to clean up the sticky bits!

Inline6: dont know what orange moulds your talking about because S-pack and XR came out with red moulds!
Old 14-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #11
-jjM-
Banned

wow what a steal, you got xr trim....for free, lucky....did you get it off and xr or a gli/spac? cause there all the same.......

boo red, yay chrome!
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #12
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as i know, he got it off ebay. Only done front and back, need more for the sides.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....1534&rd=1&rd=1

Former Rides:
Old 15-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #13
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

i did mine as i have a fairmont and changed them to red, its not hard i just uses double sided tape and liqued nails to glue it on
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post