Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

Default Fixed Limp Mode!

as some may be aware, i was having MAJOR problems with my car. would drop cylynders, cut out fuel pump while driving, wouldnt change gears, and then suddenly go into limp mode. well the problem was a VERy simple fix.

my chiptorque chip had shi t itself. so one it was removed, car hasnt skipped a beat. also, becuase i havent had it a year yet, its covered by warantee. and when i get my new chip back, its goin to be tuned to my new crow cam i have sitting here. the ru-tune wont cost me a cent.

so if anyone is having and running issues with thier car, especially limmp mode, and they have a chiptorque chip, i suggest they take it out and then see how they go. apparently chiptorque have made a faulty batch of around 100 units. was due to the proccessor.

cheers,
John

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

Sweeeeeeeet John. It all worked out for the best. Minus all the trouble and heartache you have endured trying to find the problem :P
Old 05-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
SwarvJarv
Ea Falcon S

very nice.....BTW how much was the chiptorque chip and was that with a tune prigrammed in??.....
5 speed Manual
Motivator Headers with 2.1/2" RedBack system
XR x GT Hybrid Body
15" 'Snowflakes'
90' GL Interior
Custom Black Vinyl Roof
Custom Console Lid
9" LCD + PS2
Boss CD/MP3 head unit 50x4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
I was considering chucking on a full Kappa tracksuit but reconsidered :P
SwarvJarv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

chip cost me 540 bucks with a custom tune brand new

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Old 13-11-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
rossi
Extremely Covered

I think I may have the same problem. It's intermittent, but happens every now and then. When I start it, revs low, like it's running on 2 cylinders, temp light on with guage at zero, sometimes it'll go into limp mode, no power, and basically runs like a dog.

However, if I pull over, turn the car off and restart, it's fine. Runs like a beauty. It's a 96 Fairmont with the chiptorque. Did a diagnostic check on it and came back with a " 511 - Internal EEC Fault".

I'm guessing that If I pull the Chiptorque out it should run sweet?
rossi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

yer give it a go. its as simple as pulling the chip.

Old 14-11-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
rossi
Extremely Covered

Yep, was the chip. Ended up getting it to run like crap. Pulled the chip and all was fine again. Except now I have to stop the idle from surging.
Old 14-11-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

did u buy ya chip over 12 months ago??

also, what cam u running??

Old 14-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
rossi
Extremely Covered

Well had a bit of luck today. Rung Chiptorque regarding the intermittent probs with the chip. I didn't actually buy the chip however we traced it back to being JULY last year. Anyway the chick said that because it was intermittent it doesn't actually sound like a prob with the chip, rather a connection somewhere.

So, after closer inspection of the chip, I noticed that a couple of the tongues on the connector, were bent below the plastic stops. It seemed also that a lot of the probs were also happening when it was hot. Maybe resulting in the pins not connecting. Anyway fixed a $600 chip with a 0.5c pin by bending the tongues so that there would be pressure applied to the board.

Guess what,- problem solved. Haven't had any intermittency probs so far. As for the cam, according to the chip it would be XR6 equivalent, however according to Chiptorque, it's a fairly aggressive cam. PM4 or xx4 something or other.

So I'm quite happy that I don't have to fork out for another cam or tickford computer now!
Old 15-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
rossi
Extremely Covered

Well looks like spoke too soon. Happened again on the way to work. However I've noticed that it doesn't happen when it's cold. So the drive to work was my test (about a 40min drive).

About 20mins in it starts coughin and splutterin so I took the Chiptorque chip out. Car runs fine again. Did this a couple times to make sure that I had isolated the problem. Noticed that the ECU gets pretty darn hot.

Got the digital temp and strapped it to the case of the ECU. 3 times at 37degs the car started to run like crap. Prognosis is that the chip shuts down (limits it operation) I suppose at roughly 37degrees.

All I have to do now is to run some sort of piping somehow to the ECU to keep it cool.
Old 16-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #11
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

well i sent my chip back and they confirmed it was a faulty CPU in the chip and fixed it under warantee