Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
BlueXr8

Default Surfing

So who here surf's?

im starting up this summer and would like to know some hints and tips to help me along the way so its open for discussion

i wanna know what board you got?
pics?
where you surf?
where are the best breaks for begginers/intermedites/semi pro's

and any thing else you wanna talk about

Me im 18 in a month and will be putting most my time into surfing ill be quiting my apprenticeship for a couple of months to have some fun surf my ar$e off and make the most of being young (being a chef you dont get much time for things in life) go to schoolies in QLD this year so when im not drunk ill be taking my board down the beach and ripping it up.

i have a massive back round in water skiing been doing it since i was 7 or 8 slalom, kneeboarding etc so im hoping that ill be good at surfing due to my water histroy.

for my first board im going for a shortboard 6 10''-19-2 5/8th billabong maybe some graphic's if it come with any but im not to fussed.

so post up guys

Cheers Tim

EF Series2 XR8 Manual - Pacemakers- 2.5inch Exhaust System With Dump Tip- Steeda Short Throw Shifter-Yella Terra Light Weight Non Explodeable Flywheel-Creamic Cushion Button Clutch- Dropped 50mm From The Ground-
BlueXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Blue xr8;
I used to surf back in the sixties and loved it...although when the carve up boards came in could'nt handle them...just a suggestion maybe start off with something around the nine foot get used to the action and maybe cut to a shorter board later(the bigger the board the more flotation and easier to master).

Goodluck and enjoy.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

yeah, like MO suggested, maybe try the longboard first. I have both a long board and a shortboard, and for just out and out fun I prefer the longboard. I suggest some weekends training first; training is just paddling, but you may be surprised as to how tiring it can be.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
BlueXr8

wow two resposes there must be more surfers out there

thanks for the advice guys yer alot of people have told me to go big 1st but i cant afford to have a longboard then a short board so i would rather buy a shortboard now give it a stab on a shorty see how i go and if need be hire a longboard for the 1st couple of times untill i got it down pat that way im saving some money

anyone else out there?

cheers boys
EF Series2 XR8 Manual - Pacemakers- 2.5inch Exhaust System With Dump Tip- Steeda Short Throw Shifter-Yella Terra Light Weight Non Explodeable Flywheel-Creamic Cushion Button Clutch- Dropped 50mm From The Ground-
Old 08-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
dan.76
always reading posts

stay away from burleigh ,kirra and snapper and probably dbah too. not the places to learn at. go to a surf school at the goldie and they will start you off in the right direction. also buy some surfing mags and read up. stay away from the flags as the clubbies have the power to confiscate boards.

dont drop in on anyone lol
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
davro_xr6
HRN13 (formerly X-Rated)

Yeah I gave up on the idea of a thruster - I'm far too big and heavy - long boarded it for about 6 years and then decided to become a speed bump (booger rider) - Anyway, start with a big board, they're like standing on the ground, they don't move. And pick light surf - I know you're probably gonna feel like a gimp nailing 2-3 footers while the rest are chasing 6-8 footers and carving up, but its better for style, confidence and personal safety that you start small... After that, it doesn't take too long to get the hang of it. Then if you're game head for bigger surf on the long board. You know the board, its just bigger waves. Once you're pretty accomplished then step down in size of your board - but just remember (unlike the good ol movie Point Break) it does take a while to get used to it and then become a decent rider... You're not gonna be an Occy over night, so stick with it and head out as often as you can...
Upgrades so far... : 2003 BA XT n/a 6 - Lowered 3" - Lovell Lowered Race Springs front & Rear - Pedders Sports Rider Shocks front and Rear - 18" x 8.5" AMG Akuza Mags - Pacemaker Headers - 2.5" Redback exhaust system - High flow cat - cat back - no muffler - Quck shifter kit - Typhoon CAI - custom stereo & boot install - Bonnet decal :
davro_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
davro_xr6
HRN13 (formerly X-Rated)

P.s. Wear a rashy while you're still getting used to the wax... Otherwise your nipples can do some interesting things...
Upgrades so far... : 2003 BA XT n/a 6 - Lowered 3" - Lovell Lowered Race Springs front & Rear - Pedders Sports Rider Shocks front and Rear - 18" x 8.5" AMG Akuza Mags - Pacemaker Headers - 2.5" Redback exhaust system - High flow cat - cat back - no muffler - Quck shifter kit - Typhoon CAI - custom stereo & boot install - Bonnet decal :
davro_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mini -mal is the go for beginers, that way you can surf when the surf is *****
I grew out of my wetsuit and haven't surfed in the last two years.
Raffs (Ocean Grove) is good, 13th Beach and Jan Juc are great as well. I grew up in Barwon Heads and there is a few places that go nuts with the right wind! get to know a few of the locals and they point you in the right direction on the best waves.
Be careful you don't cut in on other surfers otherwise you will be owned by the locals! I know I use to stir up the tourists myself.
The surf is best around easter around Barwon Heads/Torquay

Cheers Adam
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
BlueXr8

cheers boys yer in know all about the surfers code studied it nice and hard i think ill head down to torguay for the first couple of months then have a stab at surfers (QLD) while im up there in novermer/december and yer ill take the 2ft mush till im good enough dont wanna be known a kook lol

so no one still surfs huh? you guys should get back into it would be fun to surf in a group unfortuatly all my friends are to poor to buy a board or not interested enough so im by my self for now.

i know its dangrous but untill i joing a club school its a single surfer here...
Old 09-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
VSSII

Don't drag your back foot and make sure both feet hit the board at the same time. And like riding a bike, don't look straight in front of your board. Look where you want to go. For further info crack out your copy of Point Break and you and Keanu can practice on the beach together! Pop!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
BlueXr8

really dont drag your back foot i thought it was front foot 1st then back foot ok both at the same time then thanks for that
Old 11-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

I havnt surfs for years, i need to get back into it. Dad has an 8ft mini mal from the cutloose guys here in adelaide with a timber deck on it. Looks awesome, i sold my old 6ft board to a mate years ago. Just waiting for some time to head down when there is some swell. Also need a ute, got no racks on any of the cars anymore. Anyone wanna buy a VN HSV? lol

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Doctor Sodways is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
BlueXr8

hahaha yer i have a ef xr8 and im starting to get temped to sell it and buy a sandman lol but i dont think i would

are maurcie cole boards any good?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Just get out there and enjoy it, practise in the shore break for a while, most imporantly learn the "rules" and don't drop in on the locals.

Edit, i posted this up last year, you will need to work your way up to it

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=25615

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 11-09-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #15
Nevermind
Goodbye XR8

I've been bodyboarding for the last 13 or 14 years. Never looked back. Only tips I can give is watch for others catching the same waves (on the inside of you). Start in small surf, especially till you get paddling and duckdiving skills under your belt. Hell, i'd even spend the first day just paddling out and learning to dive under the waves and learning to paddle into a wave, the correct distance to sit out to sea, how to read the surf, how to read how the wave is going to break, how to spot rips and sweeps and how the tide's affect the surf.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #16
boost4.0L

good advice nevermind , you wouldn't believe how many beginner surfers get in trouble at bondi and manly i've had problems with beginners (got hit in head with fin gnarly cut ) lol just get used to the duck diving or rolling(longboard) , and paddling then when start surfing following unwritten rules . then you'll be sweet as . you shouldn't have much trouble with feet cordination and balance since you used to do waterskiing .good luck
now auto with jim mock 3000stall

sold argh shouldn't have now got start new project in 2010
boost4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #17
ssb2005
Scrubber Racing Team

im a speedbump (bodyboarder) from Kangaroo island, theres some pretty good spots over hewre but due to animal lovers they are getting over run by seals and sharks
1984 AB GSR Cordia tidy up time. DASH is here!! future track weapon
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer
ssb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #18
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nevermind some good point there mate also watch other surfers how they take there lines on the waves what part of the wave they do there turns etc. Be patient as it will take you a few years to be any good. Once you suss taking off you will have to learn how to do a bottom hand turn most important getting the right lines off the bottom as it will set you up coming off the top of the wave.
Boards a mini mal is the best for beginners around 7' and not to thin (in width and thickness, will help for stability) and one thing which kills most people these days is jumping on a thruster straight away try riding a single fin as it will help you learn to get good lines off the bottom othe wise like most people you will have no style and look like a mong like most people that think they can jump straight onto a pro board and think there ripping lol.
Where to surf stock to the beachies not to big at first build your self up in progression.

Mate PM me if you like Ive been surfing for about 27yrs surf at North Narrabeen and have a few mates that are national surf coaches and could maybe teach you a thing or two.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #19
BlueXr8

yer man that would be wicked where abouts you from state?
Old 13-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #20
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueXr8
yer man that would be wicked where abouts you from state?
Mate I live in Sydney have mates here that have surf schools and mates in the Gold coast that have surf schools also.
Old 13-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #21
BlueXr8

yer brah ill be up in QLD from the 25th of november till 2 december so you will have to hook me up it wo0uld be awsome bro i ended up getting a new board

its a Billabong 6 10''-19-2 5/8th so its nice and wide thick and long got 2 blocks of wax a carry bag and a traction pad all for $560 the board retails for $680 alone so wicked deal
ill post pics up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4d_1.jpg (18.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg f3_1_b.jpg (19.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 14-09-2006, 12:00 AM   #22
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

watch sports tonight now(soon) for BIG waves.

QuadC,whats thew name of the surf school down in sydney?
do they travel up to byron stopping at a few surfing spots along the way?

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #23
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

That looks like a nice board you have got yourself there. I surf and have done since I was about 12. I'm now 23 and looking at getting a board custom made for me by a bloke in Ulladulla (NSW south coast). I have a 6.2" 2.1/4" 18 1/4" at the moment and looking to go a little bit smaller for more manouverability (sp). Its going to cost $550 to get a custom one with custom graphics so you got yourself a really good deal on yours. Where did you get it from?
Old 14-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #24
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 5ltr
watch sports tonight now(soon) for BIG waves.

QuadC,whats thew name of the surf school down in sydney?
do they travel up to byron stopping at a few surfing spots along the way?
Manly surf school, mainly based in manly.
Old 15-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #25
PJ_SR_AUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueXr8
yer brah ill be up in QLD from the 25th of november till 2 december so you will have to hook me up it wo0uld be awsome bro i ended up getting a new board

its a Billabong 6 10''-19-2 5/8th so its nice and wide thick and long got 2 blocks of wax a carry bag and a traction pad all for $560 the board retails for $680 alone so wicked deal
ill post pics up
Just one thing. When u paddle out into your first line up can the words "Brah, Bro, wicked" and so forth because local surfers hate nothing more than begginers talking like they belong on the north shore. So unless you are a desendent of Da Hui cut out the lingo
:voldar02: