Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-08-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default I'm worried about the ute......

Had a bit of a worrying experience on the way home tonight - ute really didnt want to go over about 3000rpm unless it was pushed very hard - a lot harder than usual. It also felt like it was losing power steering ability as the steering became a bit "harder" around the same time.

The only thing it has had done to it was an oil change yesterday which was done with correct oil and filter - nothing else was touched. Ive checked the drive belt - is fine, power steering fluis level is fine, and the rack isnt making any unusual noises when i turn it. There's also no drips of fluid anywhere that I can see, although I am going to leave it in the same spot overnight and see if there is anything underneath tomorrow.

When I got home I parked it and just gradually increased throttle, and it did rev freely. No unusual noises or behaviour either.

Not quite sure what to do now, but if it is still the same in the morning I will get it checked out ASAP. In the meantime, any suggestions on what it might be, or what I should do/check?

Thanks

Old 17-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

coil packs? blocked filters? maf hotwire dirty?

maybe try resetting ecu and see what happens???
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Actually one more thing I should mention. When we did the oil change yesterday, I had a look at the undercarriage, and it was clean as a die except for one thing - around the speedo gear it had a very small leak of transmission fluid. Not by any means huge, and as I mentioned above, there havent been any puddles showing up under the ute when its parked. My mechanic reckons it was probably just overflow from the box being a little overfull? Not sure, but is there any way to check the fluid level of the box?
Old 17-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to check the fluid you need to take out the filler plug, it should be level with the bottom of the hole, just stick your finger in a little bit. also about the power problem, im not sure if the 8's have them, although i imagine they would, try checking the tps? if its faulty then this could cause sluggishness
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Check the connection to your battery ... maybe a loose connection cause power drop.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Well, after today Im wondering if the battery is on the way out.

I checked all fluid levels this morning and they were spot on, power steering was a little low after a topup it was fine as well. Also checked battery water levels which were fine.
I had a bit of a look around the bay and underneath the car, and couldnt find any fluid leaks - I thought it might have been losing power steering fluid somewhere resulting in heavier steering, but its not losing any from anywhere I can see. Im keeping an eye on the power steering fluid levels over the next few days though.

Battery connections were fine, nice and tight, and the ute started easily first time, however Im noticing a bit of a drop in the voltage levels, it starts off around 10-12 and then as I drive it increases - never used to do this, used to just go to one level and stay there all the time.

So does this mean its on the way out?

Its not having any starting issues, and doesnt stall etc. And Im also unsure of whether this would explain the heavier feeling in the steering?

Im getting it all checked out on Monday just to be sure.
Old 18-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Hey champ how are you.It was nice talking to you the other day at the all ford day.

Did you suspect stuffed leads?Cracked spark plugs? Please mention the symptoms again.Did the car backfire?Did it shudder?Did it just cut out?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Hey champ how are you.It was nice talking to you the other day at the all ford day.

Did you suspect stuffed leads?Cracked spark plugs? Please mention the symptoms again.Did the car backfire?Did it shudder?Did it just cut out?
Hi Stav,

symptoms - basically it feels like its lost power, wont go over 3000rpm without being pushed really hard, and has gotten heavier in the steering.

I didnt check plugs or leads but I dont think it would be that - this stuff has all literally appeared overnight - I drove it yesterday afternoon, parked it for a few hours and then drove it home last night. Thats the first time it appeared, and has been that way since.
Old 18-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Fuel filter?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

hmmmmm .... interesting indeed ... it sounds like the alternator is doing it's job as well ... as the voltage does rise after a little while ... strange that it is starting off low though.

You still getting the problems????
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post