Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default Manufactuer to offer $100 service?

Heard on the grape vine that a manufacturer is going to be offering $100 per service for the first 3 years of ownership on a new vehicle they are releasing?

Is this actually cheap, and a selling point? Or is it really not something to be impressed about?

p.s. I do know what manufacturer it is, I just didn't want people to say it's worth **** because of who/what it is.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I believe it, but is it a good thing i doubt it.

In the AU days, Ford offered, 60K of free servicing, but it only covered really basic stuff, pretty much oil/filter only

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gotta love the Mazda 3 year Free scheduled servicing sleep:
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess you've got to look into it a bit more. A service says nothing. Is it a comprehensive service, or a undetailed 20 minute one?

If it is a complete service, then that's very good. At our local Mobil garage (who do a goob job), we normally fork down around 300 for a full service which has a few thingies done. VTII Acclaim.

But once again, you've got to read the fine print and know exactly what you are getting. Business is not an honest thing. And neither are people

Exploration is the key.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

it will be simply built back into the price of the vehicle, or the manufacturer will subsidise the dealer carrying out the service. It is simply about getting more of their carson the road. Nothing is free, especially from the auto industry.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Batman's Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSgerry
it will be simply built back into the price of the vehicle, or the manufacturer will subsidise the dealer carrying out the service. It is simply about getting more of their carson the road. Nothing is free, especially from the auto industry.
I guess once again, you've got to shop around and compare prices. I guess get the cost of the same car(s) before the 100 buck servicing and compare it to today.

If there's a gain or no loss, then that is ok because you are no worse off. I find it advantageous because once you fork the big bucks down on the car to purchase, servicing will cost a fraction of what it would normally in the first three years, meaning a little more cash in the pocket when you need it.

But true, nothing is free, as reflected in the price. Except when I got my Panasonic TV from TV Week. I didn't buy the mag, but won the prize. But that's a rare exception.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Heard on the grape vine that a manufacturer is going to be offering $100 per service for the first 3 years of ownership on a new vehicle they are releasing?

Is this actually cheap, and a selling point? Or is it really not something to be impressed about?

p.s. I do know what manufacturer it is, I just didn't want people to say it's worth **** because of who/what it is.
I'm sure the servicing fees would be subtly increased to eat up most of this "discount". Most dealers charge a premium as it is. Few have the desire to provide a service that matches that extra cost.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
paulvdb

The main prob is how much effort will be put in. If the manufacturer says the service only will take 45 min plus x parts and fixes the price at $100 then that's all the dealer will provide. If the service looks like it's taking longer than normal then they'll do a rush-job to get the car back together and out of the door. That could mean that some items haven't been changed - which happens at dealer servicing teams.

I'd be more comfortable with paying real $/hr and parts and getting an honest breakdown of time used. I don't want my service guy missing stuff just because he's only paid a fixed $100 per car.
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.
Dead right. Our local mechanic says he isn't bothered by the "full services" for $99, as he KNOWS they will be sub-standard compared to what he offers at his garage, which I will say is always booked out solid.

People are prepared to pay for good quality service.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #11
anakha

My friend took his Accord Euro in for a 25k service today (to the Honda dealership he bought the car at) and they tried to scam him on the unnecessary options but he wouldn't have a bar of it. They wanted $155 for an injector clean, over $300 a tyre to replace all four (not required) and an unknown amount for some unnecessary servicing for his ventilation system. He told them to stick to the book service and do a wheel alignment as he's a bit careless on his parking and thinks he's hit a few too many gutters.

Imagine how many poor shmos get sold on all the unnecessary extras and pay a packet when they only need a simple service.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 12:02 AM   #12
rushing on acid

im a mechanic and work for a chain of repairers, ( not a dealership and i wont mention who) and i see it all day everyday people who get ripped and ripped hard by dealerships, dodgy servo mechanics and other servicing chains including the one i work for just to make an extra buck. its true nothing is for free no matter what industry and charging an injection flush at 25k is too extreme for me. i recommend them at 100k and even then its not worth it at times. about that 100 dollar service id like to see the dealership do a 100/150 k service depending on manufacturer which includes cambelts and all sorts of filters and **** for that much money, even a 80k service on a new diesel landcruiser is over a grand!
rushing on acid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post