Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
frost
Banned

Default LPG Why do people complain about it

I have this discussion with alot of people about LPG, people keep telling me its bad and I should get rid of it, its like people tell us ethonal is bad, and it is to an extent. But I see a few pros and cons with lpg

PROS
1. Cheap to run
2. Keeps your motor clean
3. Result in more power depending on equipment

CONS
1.Expensive to get setup these days
2. Can result in a minor loss of power
3. Wears out valve steams if they are not upgraded

I could keep going on and on and on and on and on and on

But I look at it this way, i do about 1000-1200km a week, i fill up twice, once friday afternoon once monday morning (or sunday night) and get relativly 500-600km per tank. for less than $40 im not complaining.

What do you guys think about this?

frost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
niko
likes falcon's

number plate time man "ongas"
Old 24-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

it is horses for courses...
Some people don't have the 3k to outlay for a decent set-up
Some people have had terrible experiences in the past and that taints their perception of all LPG vehicles
Some people hate the fact that you can fill up for $30
Some people just dont like the 'extra' maintainence required to keep a LPg system top notch
Some people dont like the range, and hate filling up every 350-400 klms
Some people don't like the unreliable gauges and the tow to go idea if you run-out

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
niko
likes falcon's

ive tried both now and like both, gas was abit cheaper at the bowzer, but what can ya do. i aint forking out 3k for another research setup, i had a good run out of research its a dam good setup behaves almost as good as petrol even with fuel timing.. lol

happy with 10L/100 outa the el's so not really up for such an outlay.
Old 24-06-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

i only dont like it as ive had massive problems with my XF that was on gas....
but that was only a mixer ring setup... and lpg systems have changed HEAPS since the system that was fitted on my XF when it was new

i'll probably get an lpg car in the future as a daily driver (EA / EB wagon, LPG, AU 6).... but i wont be converting the NC
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Simple.....

Too many bodgy economy only TAXI pack style conversions that make most LPG cars run like the proverbial.

Most people experience these style of conversions on poor old run down 600,000K plus Falcons and Holdens and then colour their experiences for LPG based on this.

Everyone I've taken for a spin in the ESP has been "converted"........ ( sorry bout that......had to say it...)

Only problem is consumption and a real lack of performance upgrades and knowledgeable workshops when you start to get real serious about Big HP.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

my daily driver = ZK 'Lane, 351/4spd, on gas. only problem i've had is when i over heated it, lost lots of coolant, so my convertor froze up. more water in the radiator, problem solved. that car's running the sprint hat style mixer.

My wifes daily = XC GXL 351/toploader, on gas. thats running a GRA twin TB setup. i fitted the bigger convertor and TB's, the old system was also the sprint hat style.
the only problem with that is i didnt upgrade the wiring when i fitted the new gear, and the old wiring was dodgy. so i'm replacing that this weekend.

as for power, the XC has the same power as when i fitted the 750hp holley from my coupe onto it. and the ZK goes hard too. so no major complaints from me.
My XB ute will be running straight gas too when finished.
Old 24-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Headsex
headsexTuned

Cons: Backfires

I'm sure everyone with a gas setup has experianced that at least once :>
Headsex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
frost
Banned

yep sorry I forgot to add that!
frost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
Cons: Backfires

I'm sure everyone with a gas setup has experianced that at least once :>
Shouldn't do it if the car's tuned properly. I had an XE on gas for 18 months, didn't backfire once, and my parents XD V8 on gas didn't backfire once in 3 years either.

Saying that, our old Bedford used to do it almost every day hehe :P

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
ZEDAYE
20 INCH 100 SPOKES

I drove a bedford (186/2 spd) van doing deliveries for a stationary/office supplies company, mainly city area on straight gas. The only prob was having to shove a comb under pedal for a fast idle to warm it up every morning! Mate I thrashed that thing every day I drove it, and it always used the same amount of gas day in day out! I hated that thing with a vengance but it had been at the company since new!
ZEDAYE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #12
89 S-PACK

i run a gra gas setup... and ive had no issues apart finding people to tune it properly in the ballarat area (all of the ones up here are W#NKERS!) so i get it dynoed in melbourne and it still makes good power and the majority of ks i do are on lpg.... the only backfires ive had was due to a gas mixer that had deid and was over fueling but thats how the gra setup found its way on the car

last time i had it on the dyno was 6 months ago... with stuffed leads,plugs,dizzy.clutch, mixer and partially blocked converter it made

108rwkw on lpg
109rwkw on pet
i know this doesnt sound like much but its got more power at the treads than it did when it left the factory!

.... so gas isnt bad after all! but i am dying to know what it will do when i get it dynoed again to see what the difference is
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 08:16 AM   #13
Devious Jet
Devious Motorsports

My last 3 cars have been on LPG. My First was my 1965 Pontiac which was straight LPG through a Impco 450 mixer, it went hard (For a car that weighed just iver 2000 KG!) and from 55l with a 350 chev engine, was getting 230 kms.

My second was an 1989 R31 skyline sedan that was running dual fuel. It had an Impco 200 mixer and had a 60l useable tank and was getting 400 kms on LPG and 430 kms to 55l of petrol, so economy hardly got affected, and power....I gained 1rwkw on LPG!

Currently my EB runs dual fuel. From 58l I am lucky to get 270 kms, But it does need plugs and a tune...Eventually.....I will like to do LPG injection....No intake restriction.
Old 25-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #14
DJ1979
and then some

350k from 60ish litres of gas, city or hwy, seems to do the same no matter what.
In all honesty I have no idea what "type" of lgp it's running, it's whatever Ford put in em factory. (ED 6cyl)
Having a chopped tank (42l) petrol means my long distance travels need to be considered, 550 - 600 accross 2 tanks.
DJ1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #15
Devious Jet
Devious Motorsports

I have a half petrol tank on my wagon...bloody thing is useless.

I am considering going back to a full size fuel tank and fitting the scuba tanks for the LPG...
Old 26-06-2006, 10:55 AM   #16
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious Jet
I have a half petrol tank on my wagon...bloody thing is useless.

I am considering going back to a full size fuel tank and fitting the scuba tanks for the LPG...
if you use lpg all the time the half tank is good for just start up and occasional use to keep the system functioning....
but yes, for range its far better to have the full tank and scubas...

let me know when you're considdering selling your half tank and lpg tank.... i'm very much considering getting an ea - ed wagon as a daily....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post