Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 07-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Help: Engine swaps hints and tricks?!?

This weekend Im going to attempt my first engine swap. It was going to be the mini that devirginated me but heathcote it too close and I need more power! :

I will be attempting to take out my EB engine and clutch fan setup, keep the EB intake manifold and turbo and replace it with an EL engine with a serpentine belt conversion and thermofans.

It should sound heaps better with no clutch fan and hopefully there will be benefits from running the serpentine belt as well not sure as to what yet other than my power steering belt wont let go as often when the car gets thrashed hard. It should make slightly more power too hopefully.

What should I be looking out for? What are the obvious things that will cause me trouble when doing this conversion?
Will I need an XH tensioner pulley because Im running my EB manifold. Will the wreckers know this when I get all the gear?

Does the new dizzy connect straight up to the wiring connectors I have now?

Thanks guys
Dan

Watch for new thread 'have new engine dont know where to start' on friday night lol.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Have you killed the EB motor already lol?

Basically I think it should be straight forward but havent ever done it myself. I havent looked under the bonnet for ages but i think if you directly swap the EA and EL motor you shouldnt have any problems with pulleys or tensioners, its only when you wanna run non EL ancillaries (like power steer, alternator etc). actually power steer may be similar, I dont know. Unless my past week of drunken stupor has totally ruined me, I dont think swapping inlet manifolds is going to cause any dramas?

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah its not completely dead but its running low compression on 3 cylinders.

An EL engine should give me a bit more power too and I would love a theremofan and serp belt setup.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

You WILL need an XH tensioner if you're running the EB manifold.

I would highly doubt that the wreckers would know that, as most of them don't even know the XH one is different! Speaking of which, it's actually the XH1 tensioner that you want, as the XH2 has the BBM and just uses the normal ef/el tensioner.

Start hunting now, as they can be a pain to find! :P
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Gunns
Banned

You will also need a Ef/El radiator, as I believe that the hose sizes to the water pump is different.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunns
You will also need a Ef/El radiator, as I believe that the hose sizes to the water pump is different.

there is something that I didnt know. I will have to look into that.

Thanks thanatos, I told him I needed an XH tensioner so I could run my EB manifold and he said he will give me everything I need so hopefully they come through with the goods.

It turns out I may have a slight oil pressure issue now as well so it is all happening just in time. The light now stays on longer when starting and after hard acceleration is comes on especially when turning quickly.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:35 PM   #7
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah dan ur better off with ef/l radiator for clutch fans also they got the holes and inserts on the bottom whereas ea/b u have to make your own
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 12:33 AM   #8
old_mate
Smash the Boost

can someone point out the bleedingly obvious as to why you need a XH tensioner? Im a stupid person

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:08 AM   #9
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint_ED
yeah dan ur better off with ef/l radiator for clutch fans also they got the holes and inserts on the bottom whereas ea/b u have to make your own

My radiator already has holes for mounting the thermos, Its a new radiator so hopefully I wont need another one.

Old mate, I think the XH tensioner is needed as its in a different spot to the normal one allowing me to use the ED manifold, the other tensioner doesnt allow enough room and only suits the BBM as far as Im aware. Ive never actually looked at one though.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:04 AM   #10
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
can someone point out the bleedingly obvious as to why you need a XH tensioner? Im a stupid person
if u use the EB manifold then you can't use the EF/EL mountings for the air con compressor as it gets in teh way, there for u use the EB mountings and it sits lower, the tensioner needs to be different to make up for the air con being in a different location.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #11
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
My radiator already has holes for mounting the thermos, Its a new radiator so hopefully I wont need another one.

Old mate, I think the XH tensioner is needed as its in a different spot to the normal one allowing me to use the ED manifold, the other tensioner doesnt allow enough room and only suits the BBM as far as Im aware. Ive never actually looked at one though.
You will need the ef/el radiator. The hose that connects to the water pump is A LOT smaller on the ef/el. so small, in fact, that it will fit INSIDE the ea-ed one! lol

You can try using the EA hose on the EF water pump (i have done it in the past, on steve's car) but it requires a full tube of silicon (which takes more than 2 days to dry!) and three hose clamps. And even though it didn't leak, i doubt it would've lasted all that long! :P

The XH tensioner mounts exactly the same as the ef/el one, but the top idler pulley (the one that doesn't swing) sits a little more to the passenger side of the car, which stops the belt from rubbing on the rest of the tensioner when you use the EA-ED air con position.

You will also need to buy an XH belt as they are different to the EF/EL ones.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:41 AM   #12
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats sucks about the radiator seeing mine is only 6 months old but oh well.

Im a bit worried that my oil light lights up regulary now so the change must be done.

If I run into trouble on the weekend,which no doubt I will, expect another thread!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Quote:
Thats sucks about the radiator seeing mine is only 6 months old but oh well.

Im a bit worried that my oil light lights up regulary now so the change must be done.

If I run into trouble on the weekend,which no doubt I will, expect another thread!
If you get stuck, i could probably come down to lend a hand ;)
Old 08-03-2005, 08:55 AM   #14
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet thanks dave! Hopefully we will be okay though. A mate and I both have got friday off work and Sunny is coming round on Saturday to finish it off. Sunday and Monday are scheduled for what will go wrong!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #15
neb
hibernating

hope it goes well dan!
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #16
Yagz
Banned

I have an EF Radiator, brand new, out of an EF XR6. they go for around $220 new, so you can have this one for $150.

Let me know, i could probably come down and lend a hand as well. As long as there is red rooster and VB available..
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #17
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me too, I think we are doing it at a mates house so we need to be out of there before the weekend is out.
My garage is too small :(

Anyone know where I can borrow an engine crane from? I sent a SMS to steve yesterday but no answer.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:34 AM   #18
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
I have an EF Radiator, brand new, out of an EF XR6. they go for around $220 new, so you can have this one for $150.

Let me know, i could probably come down and lend a hand as well. As long as there is red rooster and VB available..

You cant drink on your P's!!! :baby bott

Ill get back to you on the radiator, I think Ill be able to swap mine for one from Just falcons for not much cash. I have bought a reco 3 core radiator for my V8 from there for $120 before so an EF one shouldnt be too much more.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #19
Yagz
Banned

Quote:
You cant drink on your P's!!! :baby bott

Ill get back to you on the radiator, I think Ill be able to swap mine for one from Just falcons for not much cash. I have bought a reco 3 core radiator for my V8 from there for $120 before so an EF one shouldnt be too much more.
Ok mate.. Just lettin ya know, it's brand new. Let us know..

I can drink on my P's Have you seen me lately? I can have 5 beers in 3 mins and not register! :tosser1:
Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 AM   #20
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am now thinking about not doing the serpentine conversion and saving the cash to put towards a cam.

What are the benefits of the serpentine setup? Is it worth the hassle and the extra $250

How much is serpentine belt to buy? Can you buy these from places like repco?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #21
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Ok mate.. Just lettin ya know, it's brand new. Let us know..

I can drink on my P's Have you seen me lately? I can have 5 beers in 3 mins and not register! :tosser1:

I didnt see the brand new part. Ill keep you in mind. Let you know friday.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #22
Yagz
Banned

Quote:
I am now thinking about not doing the serpentine conversion and saving the cash to put towards a cam.

What are the benefits of the serpentine setup? Is it worth the hassle and the extra $250

Yeah man, it's a standard belt.. I've got all the serpentine bits too, so if you wanna wait, you could always do it later..

Yeah, the radiator is brand new, was in the car for 100kilomters before it got hit by the tree. No sooner had we put it in that we had to rip it out again :( My mate paid $250 for it at the time..
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #23
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Quote:

The only advantage to serpentine setup is the bigger alternator and the fact that you don't slip belts. There aren't any performance gains at all...

I paid $54.xx for my XH belt from Ford at trade price. ;)

As far as the engine crane is concerned, Steve may reply to your sms later (when he wakes up! :P), but the crane itself is at John's place.

I know steve won't be needing the engine crane anytime soon, but it's probably still best to ask. ;)

I also know that Chad (brockfordsrule) is in dire need of an engine crane either tonight or tomorrow for something, so i expect he will be trying to organise something as well.

Last edited by Thanatos; 08-03-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:56 AM   #24
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, I sms'd him yesterday morning so I he either didnt get it or isnt going to reply.
If I do it at my mates house we can use a block and tackle but it will be a pain if something goes wrong as I wont be able to work on it cos he will be at work.
I was going to start lifting things on saturday.

Thanks for the help guys, I might go without the serp conversion and gather the parts later on and use the cash for other things now.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #25
Sundeep
Banned

BTW I forgot to add in your PM, when some places reco radiators they put the later style end tanks on with the thermo mounts, but ehy have the earlier size outlets etc.

I had a EF radiator a while ago which I sold cheap as to Spope. It was also like new!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #26
old_mate
Smash the Boost

mmm what would be the fuss about the serpentine conversion? If you were going to bolt a EL motor in it should already be all there? (unless of course your buying a donk minus ancillaries)

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Old 08-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #27
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only thing is its going to cost an extra $300 for all the ancillaries, They want $220 for a air con compressor when I only need it to fit the belt. I dont have air con! Then Ill need a new radiator as well.

I can spend that cash on more mods and use my old water pump as Sunny has just pointed out.

Dan
Old 08-03-2005, 02:49 PM   #28
Yagz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
BTW I forgot to add in your PM, when some places reco radiators they put the later style end tanks on with the thermo mounts, but ehy have the earlier size outlets etc.

I had a EF radiator a while ago which I sold cheap as to Spope. It was also like new!

Sundeep
Like new and actually new are two COMPLETELY different things ;) I don't deal in dodgy equipment from taxi's :P
Old 08-03-2005, 02:53 PM   #29
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually if your was used for 100kms then it isnt new at all. Its a used radiator.

Im going to keep my one and change the water pumps over instead. Should save a few dollars that way. My water pump was replaced when the turbo went in anyway so its 'new' too.

I cant wait to get it all in and retuned!!
I better pull higher numbers!!
Old 08-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #30
niko
likes falcon's

yagz u said actually new, its done 100k's, thats 100k's that have made it not new :P