Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
XRated
Shoot.

Default My incident with a speed camera operator

Well not much of an exciting story, but it made my day :yeees:

I arrived at my girlfriend's house this afternoon (3pm) and parked out the front on the opposite side of the street. I was in front of a little Rav4, and just reversed backwards not thinking much about it.

As I hopped out, a guy wearing a fluoro vest came up to me asking if I was going to be long... I thought he was a council worker or something important. Anyway, I was a little weary about this character and I said that I was unsure how long I was going to be. Then he proceeded to tell me he was "setting up a speed camera, will you be long? Which house do you live in?," and then all of a sudden I thought a little payback was in order... "Uhm, I don't know. I'm going to my friends." Again he kept asking and I was like, "um, dunno. Depends on my mate..." and I just walked off.

So he stood there thinking I'd come back (I waited outside my girlfriend's house giving him some hope that I wouldn't be too long) but in the end he had to move on :thebirds: I was going to pester him and keep parking in front of him where ever he went, but I'm not that much of an ar$ehole!

Well it made my day! I know it's only his job, but stiff shit - $128 for doing 3km/h over the limit for some people is a day's (or two day's) work.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #2
EFFalcon
Last warning

Bwhaahahah
GOod stuff ;)
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
BIGKEV

Talking

top stuff I had similar thoughts today as i driving up 3chain rd in ptpirie there was a maroon Ba xt parked on the side of the road with a unmanned camera on the frontof it .and the memories of a thread posted a couple weeks ago came flooding back...
should I pull the plates off put them on my car and do 6 or 7 runs past 20 kays over and then put them back before they got back to check the camera.

but i didnt bit jeeze it was tempting.. :newangel:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

love it. sadly, it is against the law to a) run over the cameras and b) run over the operators. these people are scum who deserve all the abuse they get (and i have been known to use some unfriendly sign language to them).
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 12:54 AM   #5
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

ahhh just then something like that happened, i'm pretty lucky...anyways I had to go pick up my sister from a voleyball camp thing (9pm, sunday night , no one on the road) and on the way I had to go down Hindmarsh drive (very wide, 3 lanes). Anyways, pretty much straight, no one around...I thought I might give it some. However, right then, my favourite song (Ayu - Fly High) came on, so i thought i'd just chill and listen to her wonderful voice. good thing too, cause at the bottom was a white mercedes van with a "your speed has been checked" sign on top of it.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 02:27 AM   #6
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSgerry
love it. sadly, it is against the law to a) run over the cameras and b) run over the operators. these people are scum who deserve all the abuse they get (and i have been known to use some unfriendly sign language to them).
they are just doing a job, earning their money....i saw an ad for a speed camera operator job, and was thinking about taking it.....

you can abuse the operator all you want, but they are just doing their job at the end of the day.
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 03:05 AM   #7
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
they are just doing a job, earning their money....i saw an ad for a speed camera operator job, and was thinking about taking it.....

you can abuse the operator all you want, but they are just doing their job at the end of the day.
They make money by helping run a program that has caused a steady increase in the road toll. I don't know how anyone could find allowing innocent people to die for cash acceptable.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 03:29 AM   #8
Bayvu
Clevo LTDs rule

They may be doing their jobs and as an ex blue uniform wearer I just find it impossible to agree with speed cameras, especially getting booked for doing less than 10% more than the speed limit.

I was taught at the police academy that stopping the continuation of the offence is paramount. Someone is speeding, they get pulled over, counselled or fined and they then think about what they are doing and hopefully slow down. Speed cameras promote speeding; get photo'd, continue speeding for the next few weeks and magically a fine appears in the mail. Probably gone past another camera or two over that time.

And in Victoria you can be booked for less kph than our speedos have to be accurate for. Aust Design Rules require speedos to be within 10% accuracy and we get booked for 3kph in a 50k zone.

Bullshit.

Climbing off soapbox.........
99 AU Ltd 5.0W : Gone....
98 DL LTD 5.0W
04 BA LTD coming next week.....
Bayvu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 07:59 AM   #9
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
They make money by helping run a program that has caused a steady increase in the road toll. I don't know how anyone could find allowing innocent people to die for cash acceptable.
You're kidding right?

I work for a global IT company who supply and service servers that the US defence department use. Therefore I'm allowing innocent people to be killed by the US military? :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez

So were the SS.

XRated, you deserve a reward for public service. Give it to them whenever you can I say.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #11
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

hahaha thats some pretty funny stuff lol

although i wouldnt be game enough to do it, prolly end up getting defected for it hahahahaha

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #12
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
So were the SS.
SS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
can you explain how speed cameras increase the road toll? they may not decrease it, but i dont really see how you can attribute any deaths to them....

rodp, spot on _2:

Bayvu, I dont agree with the speed camera system either, I was just saying that the operators are doing a job, so that they can feed their families. In the thread about the war etc, we all agree that the soldiers may not agree with what they are fighting for, but do it because its their job....this is no different
Old 28-02-2005, 11:44 AM   #13
neb
hibernating

I think because everyone's concentrating on not going over the limit and watching their speedos rather then the road.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
I think because everyone's concentrating on not going over the limit and watching their speedos rather then the road.
i'm only an in-experienced hoon p plater, and i seem to be able to stay on a speed without staring at my speedo....surely all the experienced non hoon drivers can do this to
Old 28-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #15
-AL-
Knuckle Head

Dez I think the reference by Casper to the "SS" is in relation the the German Army in WW2.
-AL- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 11:50 AM   #16
Dez
Banned

in that case, they are no different to our soldiers, or american soldiers....they are following orders that they may or may not agree with.
Old 28-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Speed camera operators are just doing their job 'eh?

Whats that job? Knowingly fleecing the pockets of their fellow citizens by setting up their cameras on downhill slopes where there hasn't been an accident in 20 years, but still claiming its a danger zone? Forcing people to spend longer looking at their speedo's and slamming on their brakes to aviod being fined, because everyone knows that their speedo can be within design rules specifications but still earn them a fine?

They are scum and along with parking officers and crooked cops, should be run out of the country never to return.

70% of fines issued are one pointers, that do NOTHING but fine people foolish enough to look where they're going instead of their speedo on a slight slope and getting pinged by a camera... and we all know the cameras are collecting these fines because real police would not bother fining someone for a crime their speedo wasn't even telling them they were committing. Just doing their job is a bullshit excuse and doesn't hold one ounce of credibility. Reason? If you know what your doing is wrong, then why accept blood money for it? Your wages are some kids clothing, some elderly couples heating bills, some young guys job. Until our laws are brought back to comply with the ADR's all cars were built to comply with, there IS NO EXCUSE.

If anyone wants to see how much more we spend watching our speedo's try this. Get in a car with cruise control and set the cruise to 90kmh in a 100 zone, where there is no chance of being fined (this is important, you have to be 100% sure that there is no need to look at the speedo) and just drive. Its the first time in about 5 years that i've been able to do this and I was genuinely amazed at how much time I spend watching my speedo in my cars, time better spent looking for that kid on a bike that the TAC ads are so quick to point the finger at speed... and further promote a culture that you can't be blamed for doing anything wrong unless you were speeding, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited by xdc351; 28-02-2005 at 12:31 PM.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #18
Dez
Banned

i am not saying i agree with the speed cameras themselves, the laws, the way we can get done for tedious amounts over the limit etc, and the fact that our speedos are aloud to be out 10% but we can get booked for doing less than that over the limit....

all im saying is that they are just workers! im sure there are some that take pleasure in what they do....those are the 1's that my comments dont apply to.

as for the placing of cameras at the bottoms of hills, its wrong, no doubt about that, but again, the workers dont just get given a camera and get told to go get soem cash off people, they set up where they are told. they are no different in that respect to soldiers in an army. following orders.
Old 28-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #19
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
in that case, they are no different to our soldiers, or american soldiers....they are following orders that they may or may not agree with.
Your joking right? You want to compare the Nazi SS butcher to a soldier?

Doing their job.. right. If its wrong and they know its wrong then "I'm just doing my job, I need the money" is a pathetic excuse. I would rather not work than do a job that I knew (and 90% of the population knows) is morally and ethically wrong.

Nothing will ever change my mind on it.

Old 28-02-2005, 01:33 PM   #20
Schmaigz
Starter Motor

Well don't soldiers who don't do what their told get lined up and shot? Therefore its a completely different arguement.
Schmaigz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #21
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmaigz
Well don't soldiers who don't do what their told get lined up and shot? Therefore its a completely different arguement.
thats where i was heading with my next post.....fortunately for our soldiers, they do have a choice. Back in the hitler days, they weren't so lucky...
Old 28-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #22
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
all im saying is that they are just workers! im sure there are some that take pleasure in what they do....those are the 1's that my comments dont apply to.
Dez - I think you are spot on - we all know the cameras are BS ect but at the end of the day calling someone "scum" just beacuse they are performing a job to make a living is a bit harsh - (especially if they are doing their job ethically, i.e. not setting em up at the bottom of hills)

Would we prefer them to be on the dole instead?

The "scum" (I would prefer the word misguided) are the people who make the decisions to employ the operators in the first place.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #23
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate of mine is a speed camera operator. His goal isn't to see how many cars he can catch, it's to just set up and then read or play his Atari Lynx. I always joke with him by asking him "How much do they pay you to sell your soul?". He's an imported Nissan enthusiast and I'm sure doesn't religiously stick to the speed limit. It's just a way for him to easily earn $700+ a week gross
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #24
Dez
Banned

yeah thanks merlin, ill just summarise now

i'm not a nazi
i'm not making money from speed cameras....
i just feel we are being to harsh on the wrong people, the people doing their jobs are not at fault....and even though they may put them in places that aim to catch people off guard, they are still just doing what they've been told to do.

I looked at the ad for the job and was seriously thinking about it....it would be fairly easy work i'd imagine. I think i'd carry some form of protection, just for the more spirited guys out there :P
Old 28-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #25
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
thats where i was heading with my next post.....fortunately for our soldiers, they do have a choice. Back in the hitler days, they weren't so lucky...
Dez, your knowledge of "the Hitler days" is minimal...at best.
The SS were the elite Hitler Body guard (lets just ignore the army SS who were more of a tactical elite like the rangers or SAS for the sake of this argument)
Generally, they were ALL VOLENTEERS and ALL FANATICAL. They did the most horrible, dispicable actsa of crualty and genocide (yup, they ran the death camps). The were all quite happy to do it, living out their fanatical dreams until the end of the war came.
During the Nuremberg trials they were (those that were caught) were put up on trail. Do you know what most of them said?

"I was only doing my Job"

Wrong is wrong. In the case of the SS it was to the extreme but it doesnt change the fact.
Wrong IS WRONG.
These people (camera operators)activly support and participte in what I see as general theft and extortion. To just say "Its my job, I didnt make the laws" is as pathetic as claiming "I just gassed them, I didnt make the law" or "I just poured the fuel, I didnt light the match".

I have asked almost every person I have ever met in the last 2 years..."Do you agree with speed cameras fineing you for going 3kph over the limit?". Without expection, 100% of all the people (including rabid Bracks supporters) said it was wrong and blatent revenue raising.

So I will never, ever support these people who participate in what is clearly a wrong law (some can even put up a good case that it is illegal). I personally think that speed camera operators are morally and ethically bankrupt, I will continue to go out of my way to make them feel as uncomfortable and disliked as I possibly can.

Old 28-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #26
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
A mate of mine is a speed camera operator. His goal isn't to see how many cars he can catch, it's to just set up and then read or play his Atari Lynx. I always joke with him by asking him "How much do they pay you to sell your soul?". He's an imported Nissan enthusiast and I'm sure doesn't religiously stick to the speed limit. It's just a way for him to easily earn $700+ a week gross
I hope he sleeps well at night.

There is no comparison between a soldier and a camera monkey. Its an insult to our troops to draw that comparison. I'm not going to get into Iraq, this thread has gone far enough of course as it is. Fact is our troops are supposed to be able to tell the difference betwwen right and wrong on their various assignments. Speed camera operators should already know what they do is (for the most part) wrong and the few serious speeders they catch is not worth the pain they cause to thousands of honest people just going about their business. Wether the powers that made the law are wrong or not (clearly they are), choosing to be a tool of the devil is something they must live with.
Old 28-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #27
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

okay guys, take a step back here.

A speed camera operator does not equal the Gestapo.

By any length of the imagination. Period. As a person with Jews in my family, I feel atleast somewhat qualified to speak to that point. If speed camera operators executed every person they caught speeding without trial, you might be close. This is not happening though, and to compare it isnt justified nor warranted.

Are speed cameras causing more road fatalities? Maybe. But there is very little hard data to support that. The same statistics you could use to support a theory that drivers are just becomming more stupid, or that poor driver testing and pointless logbook licensing is allowing more and more morons behind the wheel. Simply saying we have more speed cameras, and we have more road fatalities, does not equal a conclusion. There are hundreds of variables, and every accident is unique and has to be considered individually.

Should speed camera operators do their job? Absolutely. Like it or not, it serves as a deterrant to excess speed in many cases(obviously not all), to argue that it doesnt wouldnt lend any credibility to your claim that people are having accidents because they are continually looking at their speedo, trying not to speed.

Lets face the facts though, your true objection is to the legislation that sets the criminal tolerance for that speed where an infringment is incurred, not the operator who is certainly ONLY doing their job.

If the limits get raised tomorrow to 10%, will you still object to them having a job and feeding their family? That type of branding of an entire group of people as guilty for your woes, IS Nazism at its core, that is the only comparison that could be made.

Should they quit in disgust at what the legislation is? Absolutely not. At the end of the day if they dont do it, someone else will. And at the end of the week consider that the government writes legislation, and can enforce it as strictly as they wish, even so far as zero tolerance.

What the counter balance is to that, is you the people. If you have a gripe, protest, complain, write letters, get the automotive industry and associations in line with your way of thinking, involve media, apply pressure to the government, and get the bloody law changed.

I saw someone write something about speedo error above. If the car industry produces a speedo that reads incorrectly to the point of criminal infringement, have you considered that they might start having to worry about liability?

Ma and Pa kettle dont know jack about speedo error, if Pa kettle is doing 60 in his brand new under warranty camry and he gets a ticket, who is he going to blame. Where should he send his ticket and ask that it be paid? Where should he send his lawyers? If the product is defective from the factory to the point of being the cause of criminal offenses, there is liability.

Theres plenty of angles to this to get big players thinking alike, what we need is a concerted effort, not a hissy fit.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #28
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sourbastard - agree 100% mate.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 28-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #29
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Sorry sourbastard, I'm going to have to disagree with you on some points there, leaving the soldier element out of this. Regardless of the job being filled by someone else if they left it, they are not 'victims' of their own decision. I continue to oppose the entire revenue camera system as a whole and if they choose to be a part of it then so be it. Fact is if the tolerance was raised tomorrow they would not have a job because the majority of revenue comes from the smallest speed limit infringements. Without that revenue there is no financial insentive to run all the cameras, so they would all be made redundant anyway.

As far as the speedo tolerance goes I have raised this point before, but only receivied non legally binding replies mostly along the lines of: the ADR design rules are set at a federal level and the car manufacturers are required to comply with the published ADR's and not individual state regluations where they have not been ammended in the ADR's.

To the best of my knowledge the victorian government has not even lodged a request for the ADR's to be ammended. I mean, why would they? that means that they would either have to provide some way for all cars made prior to the ammendment either immune to the 3kmh tolerance or provide means for all vehicles to have their speedo recalibrated which is a lot more work than simply changing the law, earning hundreds of millions of dollars from it and waiting for the public to put together a suitably good case to challenge it in the courts. We also have the most imcompetent opposition party possible and no chance of getting bracksie to abandon his cash cow anytime soon.

Last edited by xdc351; 28-02-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 28-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #30
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
I continue to oppose the entire revenue camera system as a whole
As do I - I dont see how the camera operator should be the target of our offensive though - I think we should be aiming higher...