Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
rebornafordman
Starter Motor

Default Oil Change blues

This will be the silliest thread for this week:

I normaly get an old bloke i know to do the lube service on my cars but hes really busy at the moment so i changed the engine oil and filter myself. Didnt have any trouble getting the oil filter off but i found it a challenge getting the new filter on and getting it tight. I can only get one hand in there and i struggled to get it as tight as i would have liked.

Has anyone got any tips or devices they use to overcome this problem?

rebornafordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Jet-Star

You should only do your oil filter up firmly by hand anyways.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

I only do mine hand tight. My old man took the car in to get serviced a few months back, oil, plugs ect. Well, the time i went to change the oil after that, the filter was so tight i had to stab it with a screwdriver and wind it off. They must have done it up with a stilsons pipe wrench or something... :
Blue Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
rebornafordman
Starter Motor

Yeah i must admit the old filter was on VERY tight.
Old 13-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
rebornafordman
Starter Motor

Just while were on the topic of oil filters:

I was told the best filter you can use on the ford engines is the motorcraft type reccomended in the owners manual. Finer micron filter or something.

Anyone have any further input or experiences with oil filters?
Old 13-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebornafordman
Anyone have any further input or experiences with oil filters?
Yep, they're all the same so just buy the one that's cheapest.
That's my philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
Jet-Star

^^ Actually, Cheeper brands like Wesfil/Cooper Aren't as good as say a Ryco, Ryco & other decent brands have an Anti-drain back valve that stops the filter from draining when the engine is off.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

I use hard driver synthetic filters @ $22 a pop
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
Psycho Chicken
Banned

There are filters cheaper than ryco?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

I tend to use the Ryco ones or the Valveoline ones. Seem to work pretty good. Using Shell Helix Ultra for the oil. Done a touch over 4thou k's since i put it in, still a nice colour, only just starting to change.
Old 13-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse06
^^ Actually, Cheeper brands like Wesfil/Cooper Aren't as good as say a Ryco, Ryco & other decent brands have an Anti-drain back valve that stops the filter from draining when the engine is off.
Yes this is correct... I found that out when I took my EL into get its headgasket done and the mechanic informed me that the filter on it was infact a piece of ИИИИ. Old guy before me had been using some generic no-name filters. I ended up with a lot of sludge in the head too...
Old 13-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #12
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Yes this is correct... I found that out when I took my EL into get its headgasket done and the mechanic informed me that the filter on it was infact a piece of ИИИИ. Old guy before me had been using some generic no-name filters. I ended up with a lot of sludge in the head too...

How many kays has your EL done? Mines done around 164thou if i remember correctly. Still pristine alloy in colour in the head.
Old 15-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
GLI-PSI
Boosting

at work you see alot of cars come back for the next service , ones that you have done the previous one too and have done the filter up hand tight yet need a filter remover to get it off. do not know why they stick like it , maybe the heat ect of 10k of driving , 15k in the case of ba's and au2-3 from memory. i only use motorcraft filters on the eb but since i can get them $4.50 a pop anyhow. cheaper then i can go to repco and get one of there filters or supa cheap ect.
GLI-PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #14
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
Yep, they're all the same so just buy the one that's cheapest.
That's my philosophy
lol how wrong you are Kenaz! :
Try a Purolator PureOne oil filter , about $12 a pop but they are just about the best filter money can buy.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #15
moody

gauranteed ryco make 60% of all the oil filters and sell them to other companies lol.......eg...valvoline and toyota genuine
moody is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #16
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Man, ID love to see 2 engines one fitted with a ryco filter one with a dearer type, change the oil and filter every 5-10k , till both engines have done 200,000. I bet if u striped the engines you wouldent be able to tell which engine had had the dearer filter.. i agrea with kenaz... althoug cheaper than ryco may be a worrie... do they even have a filter in side them? or they just a steel can with a seal for that cost
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 01:29 AM   #17
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

I buy Fram filters usually, because I like the look of the NASCAR they sponsor :P

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 06:38 AM   #18
Madhatter
EF Fairmont Ghia

Well, mine has pretty much always used valvoline, pretty much because its the deal we have with suppliers, engine wise its very clean. A well maintained (make sure you stick to the maintenance guides) vehicle with combination of LPG and good oil have resulted in a pretty clean engine. Next to no build up on the head at all, very little carbon inside the engine as the oil is usually still pretty clean when it comes time to change it (im talking still a honey colour).

Spend more time on petrol and that all goes to ИИИИ though Good thing im not one of those people who worry because their oil comes out black
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post