Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-03-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Default Well Im Screwed

Ok,

I was taking the head off to get some work done to it and heres the story....

Exhaust, turbo, dump pipe, cooler piping and vacuum and wires off in half an hour.

Inlet manifold out in an hour...

rocker covr and cam sprocket 5 mins..

i get to the 3rd last head bolt to find that its rounded from the previous owner............. You have no idea how far i threw the tools that were in my hand(lucky they were sidchrome)....

Well what do i do??? This car has so many suss ИИИИ in places you dont see... I swear, NEVER BUY A 2ND HAND CAR FROM A DEALER.... They got me with chemiseal, and now they got me with this....(first time the rocker cover has been off)..

Anyhow, what can i do.... Im sure someone else has had this problem as the bolts are VERY tight... (90Nm of torque)..

I havent attempted it yet but it is definately severly rounded. God knows how they could round it putting it back on.

So i was thinking, could a tac weld an old socket to it??? would mild steel welding rods do this????

Other than that, i have no idea what i can do... Anyone have any suggestions..

Sorry about the frustrated post, was going so sweet until now :(

- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

can you whack a impact socket over it?
otherwise its a weld on jobbie mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Impact socket?? thanks for suggestion.

will an arc welder with mild steel rods do it??? i dont wanna stuff it up..

otherwise im engine shopping :(:(
- XB Coupe Project
Old 09-03-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
John_LS1

dont worry you will get it off. i had the same problem. get a good 14mm single hex (ie impact socket) from a quality tool shop. dont get the chrome coated ones either. the black ones are very good. probably be around $10-$15 for one socket but its worth it.

if its very badly stripped you can get a single hex 13mm and you will have to file the sides of the bolt to make it fit. make sure you put alot of pressure on top of the bolt to so the socket doesnt slip off.

also unless you are are very good welder chances are all you will do is keep breaking the welds when you try to undo it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it isn't done up too tight and you're not too game welding it as above, you could cut a groove in it with a hacksaw, and get a good slot head screwdriver with a hole in the handle to put a bar though for torque. That or get a large easy out plus shifter.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:20 AM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

make sure the bolt is clean or the weld will break, if that didnt work you might possibly grind the head off the bolt CAREFULLY (last resort) but filling all the nooks and crannys with wet rag too stop metal filings getting were they shouldnt will be a pain. mild steel rods will work fine, if you dont wanna weld a socket get another old bolt weld them head to head put 2 locknuts on the bolt you have just welded and unscrew it with your socket or spanner.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:44 AM   #7
old_mate
Smash the Boost

i have done the welding of an old socket a few times now using a arc welder

works perfectly each time.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #8
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

aahhh thanks guys.... my hearts beating normally now after the replies.... The reason i love forums :P:P

i reckon ill try the impact with one of those black sockets(cant break it any more lol)...

Then try the welder...

And surely, if i get to this stage, i will cut the top of it and then deal with it...

Thanks guys....

PS... For anyone who just cant stop chasing power, just think.... A 13 SECOND QTR IS GOOD ENOUGH... "hangs head with greed"...
- XB Coupe Project
Old 09-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #9
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donno
you could cut a groove in it with a hacksaw, and get a good slot head screwdriver with a hole in the handle to put a bar though for torque.
Have done almost exactly that before, but had an attachment to get a socket wrench onto the back of the screw driver handle, and a dirty great big breaker bar.. and viola lol.
If you do it this way, carefull you dont break the screwdriver handle.

Impact sockets also work wonders... get one thats just a touch smaller that the bolt and whack it on with a hammer, you'll have all sorts of fun getting the bolt out of the socket once its out, but it will get it out.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 02:07 AM   #10
NEG
Diabolus

Iv had the same problem, only it was my own fault : it was so tight i almost complely rounded it off with a socket (dont buy cheap tools :P) good quality impact socket and a very long breaker bar did the trick ;)
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 02:11 AM   #11
neb
hibernating

i agree get an impact socket it should do the trick
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 02:34 AM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It be worried about using an arc welder on a head, because depending on where you put the work lead, you could end up ИИИИing a whole lot of components.
Just be sure to put the lead as far away as you can, with it still in direct contact with where your welding. Because if you connect it to the chassis, the arc has to travel throughout the car to that point, and that could be through quite a few parts that you dont want 150amps going through.

A Mig welding is probably a better idea.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
It be worried about using an arc welder on a head, because depending on where you put the work lead, you could end up ИИИИing a whole lot of components.
Just be sure to put the lead as far away as you can, with it still in direct contact with where your welding. Because if you connect it to the chassis, the arc has to travel throughout the car to that point, and that could be through quite a few parts that you dont want 150amps going through.

A Mig welding is probably a better idea.
I was actually gonna hold the socket up with the clamp while i position it on the bolt...

But that option is after the impact socket.. Thanks.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 09-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

We had the same problem with my car, first one of the rocker pedestal bolts were rounded, so we had to grind it off, only to find that one of the head bolts were rounded aswell. Before we took a grinder to it, we tried an impact socket. Had the goodz put all his weight onto the socket while i turned it with a two meter long pole on the end of the breaker bar. She came off nicely

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #15
Barry_v
rocknrolla

just grind the head off with an angle grinder.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #16
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Yup, if you're any good with a grinder just grind the head off.

If you're like me just grind the head off then go get some new metal welded in and machined flat.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #17
Rollin
Banned

rather than risk buggering a perfectly good socket, get a cheap POS one from supercheap and hammer it on instead - if you bash it on good and proper it will deform the socket but grab the head of the bolt nicely, and you can then undo it.

if you decide to weld it putting the earth lead on the socket is a good idea....
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #18
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's fully rounded then an impact socket won't help. I wouldn't bother welding either. I've been there before and the only way is to grind it off...it's easy. Just fill the holes in the head with rags so u don't get metal filings in them, and aim the grinder down between the valve springs. Just do it a bit at a time and eventually it will pop off as it won't be able to hold anymore. Then you can just undo it with your hand.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #19
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Impact socket didnt work... shes a round one now :(:(

i think ill give the welder a go, as i cant make it any worse lol

I dont think i will give the griner a go haha.. I will do anything before that.

Surely you would wreck the head?? I mean scraping the head wouldnt be healthy would it??

Lucky shes still a stock motor thats for sure :P:P:P.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 09-03-2006, 11:54 PM   #20
Damo
Banned

if you grind the head a bit new metal can be welded in and decked clean. Crack out the welder.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 01:19 AM   #21
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

got it with the old arc.... 3 sockets later however(lets not talk about my welding ability)

All this effort to finnally get the Gfs approval to get a new head :P:P

After opening up the rocker cover for the first time and seeing what condition its all in, i think im just gonna go get an AU head or something.

The bottom end looks a lot better than i thought... But it looks like im gonna get another head anyways lol

all the rocker gear was loose, things falling out everywhere... Coolant ports corroded.. Just dont think shes gonna handle 12psi and full engine/fuel management haha

Looks like im head hunting...

Thanks heaps for the help fellas.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 10-03-2006, 08:32 AM   #22
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

You should try what our mechs at work do, GRIND the top of the bolt off?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #23
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

Had this same situation on a mates EF, we tried everything mentioned above and the only thing that work was 'Clean the bolt and weld another high tensile bolt to it'.

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post