Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-02-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
NC_Steve
She needs premium dude...

Default My car eats belts!

My NC has started to eat belts. I know it's the harmonic balancer but does anyone know what causes them to get misaligned? Is it worth getting a second hand balancer? It breaks when I need to spend a few hundred on uni books :
NC_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
neb
hibernating

i think theres a rubber part in the balancer that goes... probably best off to buy a new one rather then second hand
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
InitialD
Low and Loud

Heres my 5c worth
I found my old motor was eating Alternator belts thanks to the Balancer being misalligned cause some peanut cracked it a while back and siliconed it back on.
Maybe its cracked where it sits on the crank?

A Reco Harmonic Balancer cost me $70 in total from a Auto place near me. Most places were asking $80 - $90 like autobarn and repco.

Id recomend a new one since they stuff up when you take them off.

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 02:00 AM   #4
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

Haha! Welcome to my world Steve, now you know how I feel when I tell you that my belt for my A/C gets chewed up.
ned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 02:12 AM   #5
NZ
~~~

least when your balancers slip on your TQE's your injuns dont start vibrating. Us windsor men HAVE to replace ours as soon as they slip
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 04:33 AM   #6
STOKEB
NOS Induction pssssshhhhh

ive got the same problem with my car if it doesnt eat the belt it throws it off but theres nothing wrong with my balancer its brand new. the only one i`m having problems with is the power steering belt.
STOKEB - 3:7 diff gears, 3inch zorst, JMM Race Series Extractors, Custom Bottom end to suit N20, AU DEV 6 Head and Cam, Cold Air Intake, ED XR6 Manual Computer with Flash Tunner, ED XR6 Fuel reg, C10 Auto, 2800stall .
---------------------------------------------------
I LiVe My LiFe A bOtTlE aT a TiMe, FoR tHoSe 200 sQuIrTs I fEeL fReE.........pssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh
STOKEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

I had the same problem before doing the serpentine conversion...

What i had to do was pack the power steering pump forward with some washers, as the belt was SLIGHTLY mis-aligned. It was very difficult to notice, as you had to be on the perfect angle to be able to see it (and have a very good eye!). But my car would throw a belt every couple of weeks, and this fixed it right up.

As for the balancer, does it move in and out as the engine is running? If so then it could be one of a few things:
1. As said earlier, the rubber damper in the middle can be broken, causing the outer ring to move - Replace balancer (you can get change-over ones from most auto stores)
2. Crack or break in the part that sits around the crank. Less likely. - Replace Balancer.
3. Crank Float - Replace bearings and caps in the bottom end.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #8
niko
likes falcon's

trade price there going for 60 odd bux
Old 23-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
oneredED
need more boost

Umm, i have a weird problem, mine does fan (alternator) belts quite often, but it's because i cant get it tight enough and the belt starts to slip. Although not audible at first, it heats the belt up and makes it weak, it then starts to screech and i've got about 5 minutes left before she goes bang.

With the adjustment on the alternator, the large nut just spins freely after a certain point, and the teeth don't bite into the bracket, hence no more adjustment, and the belt is too loose unless i use a crowbar to jimmy the alternator down. Anyone else have this problem?
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #10
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

I've already replaced my balancer with another one, and that didn't fix my problem.
ned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 05:29 PM   #11
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
Umm, i have a weird problem, mine does fan (alternator) belts quite often, but it's because i cant get it tight enough and the belt starts to slip. Although not audible at first, it heats the belt up and makes it weak, it then starts to screech and i've got about 5 minutes left before she goes bang.

With the adjustment on the alternator, the large nut just spins freely after a certain point, and the teeth don't bite into the bracket, hence no more adjustment, and the belt is too loose unless i use a crowbar to jimmy the alternator down. Anyone else have this problem?
You'll either have to replace the bracket and adjusting nut, or just use a bar to lever the alternator until the belt is tight. Mine used to be the same...
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
neb
hibernating

my alternator bracket is the same.. i use a small crowbar to push mine into place.. and then tighten the nut with a bit of locktight so it doesn't move.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 11:27 PM   #13
InitialD
Low and Loud

I had the same problem, the teeth on the Nut come off.
I just got a couple at Pinchies.

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #14
MrLandau

The best bet (but certainly not the cheapest option) is to convert to the later EF/EF style serpentine system. Never have belts turning inside out with them.
Shane

Growing old is inevitable
:eclipsee_ Growing up is optional :eclipsee_
MrLandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2005, 01:00 AM   #15
NC_Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLandau
The best bet (but certainly not the cheapest option) is to convert to the later EF/EF style serpentine system. Never have belts turning inside out with them.
Shane
I would consider a serpentine system if my car wasn't missing the air con compressor. Anyway it should be all fixed tommorow. I didn't realise that balancers were only $70.
Old 24-02-2005, 04:41 PM   #16
NC_Steve

Well I pulled my car apart today and it has about 0.3 to 0.5mm of crankshaft end float. Are they acceptable values?
Old 24-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #17
NZ
~~~

It's borderkline .05 - .35 is max
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post