Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Default Attn: Those installing new head units...

G'day e-series riders, heres a tale, a tale of woe. But just before we start I'm not bad mouthing this auto electrician, who we'll call Ian from Goulburn.

I work on the weekends for a large auto-parts store which is Cheap and has a Super range, a couple of weekends ago I picked up an ace looking Sony head unit complete with detacheable face, remote, aux in, sub out and a face cover. Mind you this was ex-display with nothing more than a single scratch on the display, its biggest feature is that the screen changes colour on demand. The saving was so massive it was a must buy.

Here I'm stuck with this top-notch Sony unit and with no time to install it, I go to College in Goulburn and I don't work in Goulburn and I don't come from there so it narrows it down to what I do during the week.

So I shop around in Goulburn and find a nice little place run by Ian in Goulburn and I ask whether he can install this fine head unit. He says yeah and I also get him to bung in a ace manual antenna to replace the POS electric antenna. I leave the car on Wednesday and come back the next day...

Half an hour from close I rock up and they break the devestating news, she won't start. The head units in, but she cranks but doesn't want to fire up. The crew expected some sort of hidden kill switch or a fancy way of starting it, I throw up my hands, "She was fine yesterday now... I have no idea."
At closer inspection the Smart-Lock jewel is not flashing, eureka. I explain this to the crew but they continue prodding probing, ripping out fuses, leads, checking battery power, I direct them to call Ford, one call later a mechanic is on his way after knocking off and we listen for a click in the engine bay.

Mr Ford comes, but to no avail, the electrics are fine after a touch n go with a wild accusation that the coil packed it in, this is coming from Ford: "These cars are notorious for packing it in after something as simple as a oil change".

I leave empty handed, we have to wait till tomorrow to pick up the Monty. Ford will come back with a Smart-Lock computer.

Day 3: I get a call from Ian, THE SMART-LOCK LEAD WAS PULLED OUT DURING THE STEREO INSTALLATION. So if your beloved E-Series won't start after a the installation of a head-unit, tell them to make sure all the leads are plugged in. This will save alot of worry and stress, plus get them to make sure all the leads are properly installed so the speakers all work. The front ones were dead as even with full bias towards them...

As I said I'm not bad mouthing Ian and his Goulburn shop, s*** happens and it happened to happen to me. This is a post to tell all ye faithful about my adventure so we can all be more wiser.

Plus apparently a mechanic told me the BTR 4 Speeds need their oil changed every 18,000kms plus a new gasket and filter. My bad boy hasn't been changed since it rolled out of Broadmeadows in 1993.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords

My bad boy hasn't been changed since it rolled out of Broadmeadows in 1993.
hmmmm wise do you think mate.. Id be changing it soon....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
Ozfords

Not a worry she's all booked in for a refill and filter change. I'm hoping for a comment like, "mate looks like you got one of those bullet proof ones" that'd be nice. Because all I got was, "its a s*** gear box I had to replace my tranny 3 times." this coming from the mechanic who drives a EB.

- XH Snorkel
Old 24-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Strange? Never heard of 4speed autos needing their oil chnaged that often? and obviously the person who said 4speed autos are crap has NEVER driven a holden with a traumatic?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
Ozfords

See that got my thinking, my BeeTeeaRrr hasn't missed a beat, except once, but that only lasted seconds, maybe this fella was suffering from a form of LeadiusFootus.

- XH Snorkel
Old 24-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
Dezza
Parts bin special

Well, my car did 210,000 kms over 15 and a half years without a transmission service. I had it serviced and the mechanic discovered it still had the original filter! No wonder it clunks so badly between gears.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
efgiar
rofl copter

the smart lock thing in the eb2/ed have 2 wires going to the HU, 1 is constant power, and the other is the power wire to the smart lock module, they would have left it out not knowing what it is, i did the same thing and after replacing the coil i cracked it and called an auto elec and then remember about this wire. in my ef there are 2 wires, one is constant and the other goes were? its not connected but smart lock still works... so meh

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 03:12 AM   #8
Obriza
Banned

efgiar, unless im thinking of the wrong thing i think that second wire would be your backup power. Im pretty sure that also goes to the head unit just like the eb2/eds. Again i might be thinking of something else, someone correct/confirm this for me.
Obriza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 03:28 AM   #9
5L
[ 5L ]

i dont know i just put my deck in using the same wires as my eb series 1 used but i included the dimmer so when the deck dims when u put the lights on, and all my smartlock works fine.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 03:35 AM   #10
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Haha at least i'm not the only one, i did the same in my ED when i installed the new HU, ended up changing the coil and TFI module aswell, got the car towed home (was installing at friends house). The next day I noticed the smartlock jewel wasn't flashing, so decided to check my wiring again and, well you know the rest. At least my car has nice new ignition system :/

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post