Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Ian Sharpe
Starter Motor

Default Odd problem with climate control

Hi guys,

I havent posted here for a couple of years since I bought my EDGhia. Had to re register

Anyway got rid of that & have bought an EL Fairmont Wagon.

Have a really odd problem with the Climate Control. ( I have done search).
Problem is with the heating side.

It works great & in fact will almost burn my feet off UNTIL the vehicle gets up to operating temp. Then it gradually gets colder (even though I have heating cranked right up) until its stone cold (almost like on 16deg). Makes no difference if in auto or manual mode, either.

Diagnosis test reveals no codes. I replaced thermostat but didnt make any diff. I also replaced the coolant temperature sensor.

Ford tech reckons its the blend door motor & as you all know , big bucks for repair & labour. I'm not convinced though .

I reckon its related to coolant temperature or eng temp. 2 reasons why.

1. Works great until coolant or engine gets to a certain temp.

2. Tested on a big long (1k) steep incline near my place. heat mode Works OK at start, I gun it up the incline so that the temp rises (near mid way level), heater goes cool but comes back again when temp needle drops back .

Tell me thats not related to temp.

Ford guy reckons just coincidence.

Could it be any other sensors etc??

I know this subject has been done to death, but I want to be sure before I give them the go ahead for a new blend door motor.

cheers

Ian Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Did you do a diagnostic test, or reset by holding 'Mode' and 'Off' buttons?? Give the following test a go - http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=9

If you do that test, you will be able to see if the blend door is opening/closing, and if the heater tap is doing its job, among other things. It doesn't really sound like the blend door motor, because you say it still gets hot, and doing the system reset will almost always pick up a faulty blend door motor (code E2), even when its working fine.

Just out of curiousity, how much did Ford quote to fit the blend door motor? The part itself is $170 or so.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
Ian Sharpe
Starter Motor

HI,

YEAH,

I've done that reset test, didnt show any codes, & didnt fix problem.

Ford guy said it was about 5 hrs labour plus parts, so I am guessing at least $500-600 bucks.

But I may have to bite the bullet unless someone can come up with an alternative

cheers
Old 23-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #4
raiki

I would check the engine temp sensor and it's connections. If it goes open circuit (or high resistance) with the heat, the air con will go into low fan cold air only (called cold engine lockout).

Can you here the blend door move when you do a diagnostic check. If you can then I'd say there is nothing wrong with that.

EF Fairmont, V8, Pacemaker Headers, hiflow sports cats, redback muffler, DBA Gold rotors, Tickford body styling kit, suspension and rims, heritage green, JVC MP3.

XB Coupe, 351C, +30 Speed-Pro hyper pistons, closed chamber heads, BlueRacer cam, Crane lifters, manley pushrods, crane roller rockers, double valve springs, Street Torker manifold, 650 holley squarebore, 4 into 1 headers, twin 2.25" exhaust, 16" thermo, tricked C4, B&M starshifter, LSD 9", discs all round.
raiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 01:28 AM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Replace the heater tap (i dont think the self test actually checks that) also check the vacuum lines related to it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.

Last edited by XR Martin; 23-02-2006 at 01:34 AM.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
efgiar
rofl copter

raiki sounds spot on the money there, itll be a sensor or a bad connection somwere, well thats what it sounds like from what you have described

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
dansince86

hey huys, i also have problems with my climate control, the self diagnose told me "E3" which is a cabin sensor problem, can anyone tell me where i can find the cabin sensor, i have little to no knolage on working with A/c

Cheers Dan

[CENTER]88 EA Fairmont Ghia
- Super lows (all corners) - Shortened Shocks - Custom CAI - Clear Indicators - EF XR8 LSD - EL XR 6 Head - Jim Mock XR6 cam re-ground - BF XR6 17's - Advance Extractor's - Redback 2.5" sports exhaust -
dansince86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
NZ
~~~

its behind the panel where the trip computer is. you'll see a small grill with a few gaps in it. right behind that.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
Ian Sharpe
Starter Motor

Ok I solved the problem.

I soon worked out that the standard Ford thermostat has the tail bit on it to block off the flow to the heater in the event that the motor overheats. Ford reckons they have done that so all of the coolant is available in an overheat situation, rather than have some flowing to the heater core.

SO I replaced the Ford type thermostat with one that didnt have the tail bit on it. result it works great now at all times becasue there is no bit that stops the flow to the heater core.

Obviously Ford reckon that when the needle gets to 1/2 way mode then its running too hot.!!

maybe I have uncovered another problem now , in that the radiator needs attention.

What do others reckon?? Is it normal for the needle to get to 1/2 way on the guage??

cheers
Old 23-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id say you've got other problems though, and the thermostat is just masking the problem.

No properly running Falcon should sit on half way, the temp they should sit on is normally around 1/4 and a 1/3. Unless its 40C+ out and you're running the A/C, but even then it shouldnt go over half.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 07:23 AM   #11
Ian Sharpe
Starter Motor

yeah , methinks too,

thanks