Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Obriza
Banned

Default Central Locking acting weird

A couple of weeks ago i noticed that when i went to unlock my doors, that sometimes it will unlock and lock again. It sometimes even keeps going for ages. This is getting really annoying and just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems? and how to fix it?

Obriza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
sven

haha i was just about to post the same question... my ED has been does it every now and then as well. i'm bloody confused!!
sven is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
5L
[ 5L ]

is one of the poppers(dont know there name) stuck a little bit
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
Tiga_EL
Banned

My mums car does that same thing in the heat, dunno why tho
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
sven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiga_EL
My mums car does that same thing in the heat, dunno why tho
yeah mine mostly does it in the heat. not too bad in the cold weather. also from what i can tell none of the "poppers" are stuck so i dunno :
Old 21-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

Do a search for cycling door locks, or among the smartlock searches. I to have this problem, Ford qouted me $800 to fix it...
needless to say im going to do it myself.
BroncosXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
raiki

Most of the E-Series cars with smartlock do this when the battery voltage gets low. Check your battery.

EF Fairmont, V8, Pacemaker Headers, hiflow sports cats, redback muffler, DBA Gold rotors, Tickford body styling kit, suspension and rims, heritage green, JVC MP3.

XB Coupe, 351C, +30 Speed-Pro hyper pistons, closed chamber heads, BlueRacer cam, Crane lifters, manley pushrods, crane roller rockers, double valve springs, Street Torker manifold, 650 holley squarebore, 4 into 1 headers, twin 2.25" exhaust, 16" thermo, tricked C4, B&M starshifter, LSD 9", discs all round.
raiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 11:24 PM   #8
64compact

first to test the locks and make sure they are all working, check that the exterior door handles are flush with the door if one is sticking a bit it will be holding the micro switch on, then pull the wires out of the bottom of the "B" pillers and you will see a connector in each "B" piller disconnect them and see if they are corroded out. if they are just cut the wires and solder the wires together and shrink wrap them. if not then you have to check each door lock by disconnecting them individuly and trying the remote. MAKE SURE THE WINDOWS ARE DOWN!!!!!! just in case the car locks after you put the keys on the seat and forget them. when you find the troubleing lock replace it, it is more likely to be the micro switch on the lock ....... good luck
64compact is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 11:39 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64compact
MAKE SURE THE WINDOWS ARE DOWN!!!!!! just in case the car locks after you put the keys on the seat and forget them. when you find the troubleing lock replace it, it is more likely to be the micro switch on the lock ....... good luck
Ok I get your reasoning to a certain degree (have stupidly put keys in boot, shut boot and watched doors lock before could get to them.. and no, have never found out how the doors decided to lock themselves ... keep in mind this happened at a car show : ,
and yes RACQ came to the rescue : )

anyway..... back to what I wanted to ask....... 'windows down you say'.... well, my tempermental car wont lock at all if the windows are down more than quarter way..... Im gathering now that that is not anywhere near normal :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
dansince86

it could also be the connection @ ur battery, i had the same problem one time, the door locks were going up and down, and i was happening whilse i was driveing, turns out i had some dodgy wiring to my battery and the imoboliser (spelling*) thought i was being stolen so it turned off car and locked the door etc.

in breif there could be a wire shorting out some where.

cheers

[CENTER]88 EA Fairmont Ghia
- Super lows (all corners) - Shortened Shocks - Custom CAI - Clear Indicators - EF XR8 LSD - EL XR 6 Head - Jim Mock XR6 cam re-ground - BF XR6 17's - Advance Extractor's - Redback 2.5" sports exhaust -
dansince86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
sven

thanx guys, checked my battery and it was getting low... drove for a while with no stereo :( and found out my battery wasnt charging properley because it was nearly dead. so chucked in a spare we had at home. works beautifully now. thanks fellers,

Steve
Old 23-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
Obriza
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiki
Most of the E-Series cars with smartlock do this when the battery voltage gets low. Check your battery.
Thanks for all the help guys, i charged the battery and its fine now .
Obriza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
efgiar
rofl copter

usually its an actuator or a flat battery. with ef/el the drivers and passanger fronts are the same just the braket is turned around the other side (has 3 screws to take the bracket off the actuator)

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #14
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine isnt the battery (its been checked) and they checked some other stuff that is the 'usual' problems... and that wasn't it..
Was basically told would have to live with it unless the problem was stumbled upon... so thats what I have been doing for over 12 months :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

Yeah i have a new battery also, so thats not my problem.
Like I said i took it to my Ford Dealer and they said the front passenger door actuator was the problem, but you cant just stick a new actuator in.... Ford HQ came up with new Actuators, and fixed the problem....... well thats all cool tell they tell you that the new actuators are Incompatable with the old ones, At $150+ an actuator plus labour, this "fix" becomes quite expensive.
So off to the wreckers for me... now i just have to wire it up myself and hope it works.
BroncosXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #16
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I have an EB 8/91 and I have had no trouble changing the Actuators and putting the LATEST ones on? I replaced two of them and the connectors were the same?

One other thing too, make sure that you dont put the knobs on too far? I find that pulling the clip inside the know so that it is almost out makes the knobs press on better? Try checking the Relay for your system and also any connections for the Body Module? never hurts to try
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post