Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-02-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
frenzal
EF XR6

Default Odometer

On my way home this afternoon i noticed that my odometer in my ef wasnt lit up anymore.
what could be the cause of this.
Is it simply a fuse, or a globe, and would it be connected to any other warning lights that may be out?

Cheers.

frenzal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
crannersEL
Banned

Mine has done the same, i mentioned it to the mechanic and he didnt seem to know how to fix the blown globe.

If you do find out how to change them please contact me with some instructions.

Cheers Paul
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry to tel you guys this but to fix the light out on speedo you need to remove the cluster this varies to each model i think

i had the same prob with the el but i was lucky i only had it for about 4 hrs when i noticed it and took it back to the yard i got it from and they fixed it under warranty

cranners ......... ill find out for ya what had to be done and let ya know

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
frenzal
EF XR6

I had a feeling it wouldnt be a simple little thing, haha.
i would love some info on it to.
Thanks for the replys.
frenzal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

its easy, the hardest thing is actualy un plugging the loom from the cluster, patience is the key. theres like 8 of the little globes (can get from autobarn or where ever) it seems odd that they all went at once. id check the fuse before pulling the facia off.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
crannersEL
Banned

Where is the fuse, is there two seperate fuses for the dash lights and the odometer display?
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dunno bout the E series, but when the AU one doesnt light up I just beat this ИИИИ out of the thing until it does
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #8
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

If it was the fuse, all the cluster lights would be off....its the easiest job to do...there are 3 screws to undo that are along the top of the dash cluster just above where the dials are,

2 screws under the dash, either side of the steering wheel,

then remove the radio surround (pull out the drawer, theres a screw behind it on the left, remove that, then pull that off, it unclips from the right).
Also behind the radio surround on the top left, there is one more screw holding the dash surround on, remove that. Now just pull the dash surround away from the main dash...
unplug all the wires (behind clock/trip computer, central locking button, and boot / fuel flap buttons)
now you can undo the 4 screws that hold the cluster in, then pull it out, which I find easier to do if you tilt the top forward and pull it towards you (remember to loosen the steering wheel adjust and pull it down and out, out of the way). Then unplug the 2 connectors on the bottom, they are usualy bloody tight!

NOW you can find the globe behing the ODO, just twist it to remove, swap, then reverse whole procedure!

This should take all of ten minutes...very easy...
Old 03-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Found your post a bit vague, and having been in a situation like this there is two answer depending on what you actually meant.

Does your dash light up when you put the lights on, and its just a case that reagardless of the lights being on or off the odometer is not visible (but backlighting is still coming on)?

If this is the case, in an EL there is a fuse in the fuse box that is responsible, from memory it is a 15A fuse, though I could be wrong, just go through with a tester and see which fuse it is (or yank em out one by one and see which has blown).

If it is a case of the when you put the lights on the dash itself doesnt light up then you MAY have a bulb problem. This is a bit more complicated, it involves removing the facia, then the dash, then the loooms all up takes about an hour when you're being careful, then its just a matter of getting the bulbs, swapping them over and testing the lighting before you put it all back together.

As was said before though it would be odd if every bulb in your dash went at once, and perhaps its something a slight bit more sinister, hope this helps, I've had both the above problems in the last month, both where cheap and easy to fix, poviding care and time is taken!
Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows
Tinted Windows, Pioneer MP3 Player and Audio System
K&N High Flow Air Filter Mounted in Original Air Box
Trip Computer
NGK Sports Performance Leads
NGK Sports Plugs
Autotecnica Oil Catch Can
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

You make it sound like removing the dash surround is a big deal...as I said above, it only takes 10-20 minutes easy...but yea....
Old 03-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #11
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzal
On my way home this afternoon i noticed that my odometer in my ef wasnt lit up anymore.
what could be the cause of this.
Is it simply a fuse, or a globe, and would it be connected to any other warning lights that may be out?

Cheers.
While your at it, change the rest of the bulbs to blue LEDs
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post