Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #1
Steve_T

Default XR Headlight Covers - Fitting

For all of you who have headlight covers on your XR6/8 - how do you go about getting 'em to fit properly?

The shape/curve of my covers doesn't match the shape of the body (headlight cutouts) so no matter how you position them there's always gaps around the edge where it doesn't seat/seal properly. Most ones I've seen seem to be like this (which is a bit dodgey!)

Possible to heat 'em and re-shape 'em to fit?? I was thinking maybe I could just take the rubber seals off 'em and trim/file the edges of the plastic where they actually contact the body so after enough trimming they should sit down neatly all round (with rubber seals back on). Only other thing I can think is to seal 'em with a bead of black silicone but that'd make it a pain to get 'em off again etc.

What did you guys do??

Thanks.

Steve.

Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
Rob
Living the dream

dont they have them little bubble thingers......... arg me englushwd sxux when im dinkin
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
Steve_T

used:

Bubble thingers??

If you mean what the covers themselves are like, then yeah, they are four individual round 'bubble-like' covers which go over each light.
Old 22-01-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Mine seem to be allright, they seal quite well.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Was yours factory fitted? A lot of people try to fit them themselves and stuff up. The holes have to be drilled in exactly the right spots or they'll look shiphouse.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 01:30 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Mine were 100% on my AUII, but i wished i never ordered it with them as they ruined the car i thought...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 01:41 AM   #7
XR6Stu

Red face

My AU1 came with covers, but i hated them so took them off, then put a series 3 front bar on my car. If you decide to file, and stuff it up, let me know, and I'l sell ya my covers!
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 03:08 AM   #8
Steve_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
Was yours factory fitted? A lot of people try to fit them themselves and stuff up. The holes have to be drilled in exactly the right spots or they'll look shiphouse.
Mine aren't fitted at all yet - I'm in the process of doing it. There's no way you can mark the holes accuratly unless you do it from behind the front bar while holding the covers in place. Ford do have a template for it which is the only other way, but when I asked my local dealer for it they didn't have one - theirs had been broken apparently. I took my bar off for some other work (including replacing busted headlight) so had a chance to mark 'em from behind and do it properly. That's when I was trying to position them for marking and found after trying to mount and orient them every way possible, they just won't line up quite right. It's slightly possible I could've drilled the holes such that the the covers would have to be pulled/twisted to line up when bolting them and this may get a better fit, but would place undue stress on the less-than-strong mounting hardware so I wasn't gonna do that.

I agree that I think the car probably looks better without covers, but I need 'em for practicality - I've already busted one headlight from a rock (as mentioned above) and having to pull the whole front off the car just to replace a light is a major PITA.

XR6Stu, I'll keep it in mind
Old 22-01-2006, 08:36 AM   #9
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

mine fittted relatively easy (AU11) how ever a mate had a set that didn"t quiet do it turned out were mixed up series 1 inners + 2 outters, Saw some place flogging clear plastic coating that goes over just the glass lenses but haven"t heard any reports if its any good or not

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Steve, when the dealers fitted these covers, they used templates to ensure the holes were drilled in the correct positions.
Old 22-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #11
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It may not be an option now, but I would invest in the self adhesive covers that attach directly to the headlight glass (as Whoosha mentioned), all you gotsta do is make sure you cut em properly, use a template, say a tin/jar lid etc or better still a "compass" (the little tool the kids use at school with the spike in the end). The kits are available at (dare I say it....Supa Cheap Auto). They are an excellent way to protect the glass without compromising the look of the front. :
Old 22-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those films are a great idea, but after a while those films tend to go yellow! Not a good look for a AU falcon!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #13
Steve_T

Hmmm, so the covers were different shape between AU1 and AU2??? If that's so, combined with the fact a few of you guys all seem to have no probs with yours then that makes me wonder... I'll have to dig through the parts database etc. and see what I can find out.

Dark Horse, yeah, that's what I was saying above - tried to get the templates to use but my dealer didn't have 'em and I ended up pulling the whole front bar off anyway so was able to mark as accuratly as possible.

I have seen those adhesive films before and quite like the idea of 'em. Seeing as I have the holes drilled already I may still try and get the covers on properly and then see what I think of 'em re. looks etc. (I think they look alright on some coloured cars but not so good on others I've seen etc. so I'll have to see how they look on mine) but yeah, otherwise if I can find that adhesive stuff (haven't seen it in the local Super Cheap but have seen it around somewhere) I may go for that. Bugger if it goes yellow though, but then again if its easily replaceable and lasts for a while between yellowing maybe it'd be ok.