Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Rexy74

Question EB Falcon

As the proud new owner of a very used EB series 2 falcon gli sedan and a ford convert (as i have had Holdens in the past and had nothing but trouble with them!) does anyone out there have any recommondations on what oil,coolant,spark plugs to use to ensure a relatively trouble free life?

So far i have changed the oil using Shell Helix Plus, and the spark plugs using Champion RN13LYC, i have only had the car a couple of weeks and i would like some information on the best brands to use.

Cheers

Rexy74

Rexy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
CruizinEB
Banned

start with some platinum plugs (They Cost around $20-$30 Ea) ;)
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
Rexy74

Question EB Falcon

What about fuels? my missus has got a VN Dunnydore that she just started running on Vortex and it seems to have improved the power somewhat, what do you reckon? start running the falcon on that?
Rexy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
CruizinEB
Banned

Use any Premium unleaded its better for the car because it cleans the injectors and cleans the carbon out of the engine, it costs 5% more but you get 10% more Kms. so yeah put that in your Eb ;)
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
BuuBox

How many km's has the car travelled? How good/bad is the engine? Seriously though, if it's running ok, your oil and spark plug choice is fine. Stuff spending $180 for a set of sparkplugs when you don't really need 'em...

As for fuel, if you advance the timing a smidge, you get a bigger benifit from high octane fuel. Otherwise it's usefulness is limited in an engine designed to be run purely on 91 octane fuel. That said, try a few tanks of each and record what mileage you get.

As for coolant, I usually stick with Castrol, and change it every second service or so. That said, for the last 10,000kms, my EB's been running on strait water... Sick of seeing that horrible bright green color wash down my driveway when I change anything!

Lastly, I'd recommend a gearbox service if it's an auto, and you aren't sure when it was last serviced. At any rate, it's cheaper than a new auto or a rebuild.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wouldnt change the coolant every 2nd service... a bit to often. I would say every 12 months, and make sure you do it, even if the coolant says, 5 years, 250,000k's. change the oil every 5,000k's and for the auto, keep an eye on it... If its not red, change the fluid. You could even put an extra tranny cooler on it.

as for fuel, advance the ignition timing a little to get a little more benefit from the fuel, but you will have to make sure you ALWAYS put in premium. dont forget to change the diff oil now and then too...