Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
ba-xr8

Default Reliability

hey everyone, i hope i can manage to keep this thread open as my ford/holden thread got closed.

i read alot on here and see alot of opinions. it seems that the Boss260 engine really isnt very popular amunst forum members. is there a particular reason for this? i am only asking as i am not overly technically minded.
am i right in thinking that a $1500 ecu update can put 240rwkw? is that correct? that seems almost too good to be true. is it possible to get that kind of figure from the Boss without TOO much money being involved?

Im looking at 2nd hand BA XR6 Turbo's and XR8's at the moment. Im a fan of V8's and love the bulge, but i am really looking for some cheap performance as bad as that sounds. are the xr6t really THAT much better than xr8's?
also ive been looking into turbo cars before in the past (300zx, skyline etc.) are the xr6t a "reliable" car? like ive heard some horror stories about the 300zx and repair costs.

ive tried searches and have looked alot of places on this forum but cant find too much info on this matter.
thanks in advance

Old 18-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Go the XR8, you won't look back, they are an awsome car, 240rwkw sounds a little optimistic with just an edit, but it can be done with a combination of mods, just look at Chris from Bluepower, his XR8 runs 12's unopened, see here :
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=26231
Old 18-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba-xr8
hey everyone, i hope i can manage to keep this thread open as my ford/holden thread got closed.

i read alot on here and see alot of opinions. it seems that the Boss260 engine really isnt very popular amunst forum members. is there a particular reason for this? i am only asking as i am not overly technically minded.
am i right in thinking that a $1500 ecu update can put 240rwkw? is that correct? that seems almost too good to be true. is it possible to get that kind of figure from the Boss without TOO much money being involved?

Im looking at 2nd hand BA XR6 Turbo's and XR8's at the moment. Im a fan of V8's and love the bulge, but i am really looking for some cheap performance as bad as that sounds. are the xr6t really THAT much better than xr8's?
also ive been looking into turbo cars before in the past (300zx, skyline etc.) are the xr6t a "reliable" car? like ive heard some horror stories about the 300zx and repair costs.

ive tried searches and have looked alot of places on this forum but cant find too much info on this matter.
thanks in advance
Mate if you want cheap power the XR6T wins hands down, to get those sort of numbers out of a 260 you will need atleast exaust,cai,edit (around $3500) and you would come close, spend the same on the XR6T you will have a wepon. But mate as you said the bulge sold me and the V8 of corse.
Old 18-11-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

If you want better sound and the bonnet bulge go the XR8. But it is an anchor compared to the Turbo. You can spend much less to get the Turbo moving. In my case uses less fuel, handles better and cost me less through RACV to insure.

But in the end drive both and what ever you like best, buy. Each person is different.
Old 18-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably would be better to ask this question on a forum not quite as biased as FFAU.

I know the motor mag staffers prefer the ls1 over the boss.
Old 19-11-2005, 12:54 AM   #6
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know the motor mag staffers prefer the ls1 over the boss.[/QUOTE]

Guess theres no accounting for some peoples taste eh? :hihi:
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
Old 19-11-2005, 02:05 AM   #7
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

i dont think there is anything wrong with the boss motor, its probably more the weight of the engine and car the lets the performance down in general....couple that with the fact that its cheaper and easier to get more performance from an ls1/2....but you would be better off taking the xr8 and xr6t for a drive and weigh them up, but remember, from most accounts, its cheaper to modify the xr6t to extract a few more ponies...so if you can live without the bonnet bulge and burble of a V8 i would go the xr6t....but those are big things to give up, so it would be a hard decision i know...theres a bloke running around here somewhere that has posted on 'H' forums before, his name is Adam or something, his xr6t does some very low 1/4 mile times but like most things, i guess its how much money you want to throw at it? Hell i dunno, tough choice but i would prefer an xr6t! Blueprint thanks!
Old 19-11-2005, 06:20 AM   #8
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

If all you want is sound, power, and the bulge, and not pay too much.I suggest the following:......................

: Grrrrr TC - TD 250 4 speed Cortina Grrrr :

My first car and had all the above and for the price, well.

As original from showroom floor with all options
Additions - Pacemakers turbo400 3" exhaust
Custom cai prototype No 4
Stage 1 shift kit with neck brace
Still to come DIVORCE
Old 19-11-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
ba-xr8

as far as the xr8 goes, i was going to replace the intake and get some headers and new mufflers.. i know next to nothing about ecu updates and dyno's and what not. would the extractors and intake really make a noticable difference?
Old 20-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
as far as the xr8 goes, i was going to replace the intake and get some headers and new mufflers.. i know next to nothing about ecu updates and dyno's and what not. would the extractors and intake really make a noticable difference?
Not a ground breaking difference by themselves but add them with an ECU edit and you are taliknig some really good power. Exhaust will really capitalise on the sweet V8 sound and induction will give it more throttle response and induction sound. With intelligent induction work and exhaust you should be able to get on the plus side of 220rwkw, add edit onto that and you are looking at 240-250rwkw. Not bad power gains for reasonably small cash and will sound very tough.
Old 20-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #11
ba-xr8

wow that much gain? what does an ecu edit usually run at price wise?
ive never even seen a dyno let alone use one haha
Old 20-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Save full, get more power cheaper with bigger turbos (and all that jazz).
And then get an XR8 bonet so you have that bulge! :
Old 20-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #13
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

I think you will find that just about all the people on this web site who are bagging the the Boss260 are ones that havent even been in a BA XR8 let alone drove one, and are just quoting magazine finigures - sad really. Dont listen to these people, drive one for yourself and then make your own decision
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #14
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
I think you will find that just about all the people on this web site who are bagging the the Boss260 are ones that havent even been in a BA XR8 let alone drove one, and are just quoting magazine finigures - sad really. Dont listen to these people, drive one for yourself and then make your own decision
But his original post was about which one we would choose (V8 or 6T) to help him pick. He loves the XR8's bonet bulge, but prefers the XR6T's reponse. Go for the best of both worlds!
Old 20-11-2005, 05:03 PM   #15
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
That sounds right, my mates Blueprint XR8 looks absolutely HORN, and it goes very well for a stocker.
Old 20-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #16
Dilan

Quote:
like ive heard some horror stories about the 300zx and repair costs.
Keep in mind it is a very old engine, compared to the Barra thus of course it will be a spender of monies. But yes the 300ZX have had overheating issues due to the cramped engine bay rubber hoses becoming old and brittle, and causing things like coolant leaks (leading to things like warped heads etc).
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #17
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilan
Keep in mind it is a very old engine, compared to the Barra thus of course it will be a spender of monies. But yes the 300ZX have had overheating issues due to the cramped engine bay rubber hoses becoming old and brittle, and causing things like coolant leaks (leading to things like warped heads etc).
exactly what the above said

300zx are purely class and awesome but have over heating issues etc
they are plagued with problems i hear about em all the time..

best bet xr8 for sure or go the turbo route
imports aint worth it imho
Old 21-11-2005, 12:38 AM   #18
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the 8 you will smile every time you drop the boot and yes the bulge on the front looks hot but a mate has a T6 and just bought a bonnet and put on (got it for 600 )
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Reliability

8 year old thread mine, well done. That must surely be close to a record I think.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #20
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Its always the new guys
Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #21
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

thread split the question being asked has its own thread.
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11392782

closed

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Closed Thread