Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-11-2005, 01:44 AM   #1
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Default Cooling system problem

Hi Guys,

I just had an odd but worrying problem with my car. I was at the local RSL competing in the local pool comp which finished about an hour ago.

Got in the car and turned the ignition to on, let the fuel pump do its thing and then started the car. The 'low coolant' warning light stayed on, and went away after about 40 seconds of idling. I checked the egg crate, and sure enough, instead of being about 3/4s to max, it is just under minimum. I squeezed the hose going from the thermostat to the radiator and found no pressure there. I thought this was normal, because the engine was cold and the thermostat was still closed.

I drove the car about 2kms (during which time the car got to just above normal operating temp really quickly but no further than normal) and pulled over again to check the engine bay. The egg crate had a little more coolant in it due to expansion, but the hose that i squeesed before still had no pressure in it. I turned the car off, then turned it back to ON, where the coolant light was on, but when i started it, the coolant light went out instantly.

Considering that the temp was still OK, there was still some coolant in the tank and the knowledge that i have the failsafe cooling system, i drove the car home (20kms) at 80-90km/h even though there was no pressure in the radiator hoses.

I just got home and had a good look at the egg crate, and there is dry coolant on the top that was not there last tuesday when i last checked the car. The coolant level was the same as when i checked it in town. While the engine was running, i checked the water pump which was still spinning, so i would assume that it is not seized inside.

Fearing the worst, i checked the oil dipstick for traces of milky-ness or foam. The oil looked normal, but had a strong smell of unleaded petrol!!

I have left the car to cool down in the garage, but i am very worried about what it could be. I mean, there is no coolant in the oil, it is not ****ing out of the bottom of the car and the bottom of the engine is dry.

Any suggestions?

PS: Typical , but the 3 year extended warranty ran out like 2 weeks ago!!

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 07:01 AM   #2
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Something similar happened to mine a few weeks after l brought it. The overflow on the reservoir was ****ing fluid everywhere when driving and the reservoir was bubbling like crazy but mechanic put it down to maybe a faulty cap as he couldnt find anything else wrong.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Yep try a new cap, could be a pressure issue. That's the cheapest and simplest item to rule out.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Well i just went and checked the cap now that the car is cold. The bloody thing was loose! I pulled it off and had a look, and the spring loaded plate is sitting on an angle as if the little shaft is bent.

So, looks like when the ers at my local dealer did my coolant at the last service, they have not put the cap back in properly or something and it has now failed.

Thanks guys, i was fearing the worst :|

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post