Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default removing front springs

hey guys
im trying to remove the front springs on my AU1 fairlane 6cyl

and i cant get my spring compressors to get in enuff 2 hold the spring properly as the spring coils are to close together and the spring sits to close to the strut/shock...

can anybody suggest a good way 2 get em out..
thanx

blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
buickman
buickman

Have you got the strut removed from the car?
Two ways
1/ A spring tensioner that fits the springs

2/ They are not a strong spring like a H series Holden so you can & I have but not advisable is to gradually undo the tension on the nut facing the spring into a inside of a tyre not on a rim as the spring go's & on my AU's fronts I found was not at a real force. The tyre captures any tension so as not to shoot across the garage. The trick is do it slow with a ratchet & socket.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

phew popped off the upper ball joint with the help of my bro..

and just pulled that down and out seh came..
had SOME compression on the spring with a spring compressor but she startd shifting so we got that off ASAP as soon as we took teh whole strut out..

ill give what u said a go tommorow buickman cheers
Old 30-10-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
buickman
buickman

If you are fitting lowered springs you don't need a S/compressor to refit they just drop in & you assemble the strut then refit into the car.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Get the right spring compressors for the job! There is no other way, now other SAFE way!!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I changed the standard springs in the wagon to superlows WITHOUT the need of a spring compressor at all. I just undid the top nut slowly and while it pops a bit on the last turn, it is not really all that compressed so doesn't pose any great danger. I did, however, keep most body parts out of the way just in case.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 02:13 AM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

u tell me where to buy the RIGHT spring compressors and ill tell ya if i tried em or not!!!

ive used the kind supercheap has with teh dual claws at each end(angle/path between each claw is not as tight as the angle/path the spring goes around..

and ive tried an oldskool pair with the single claw at each end..
of which the claws were too LONG and hit the shock in the middle..

cheers for your help guys
Old 31-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
I changed the standard springs in the wagon to superlows WITHOUT the need of a spring compressor at all. I just undid the top nut slowly and while it pops a bit on the last turn, it is not really all that compressed so doesn't pose any great danger. I did, however, keep most body parts out of the way just in case.
That's the way to do it. Just find something that's going to collect the nut so it doesn't go flying off to do some damage. We just used an old seat cover. It's too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 07:46 AM   #9
GTHOXR8

Reading this thread with great interest as I am about to embark on exactly the same project. Scored myself a set of XR6 coils which I will fit to my series 1 Forte. I assume that once i have them in, its going to need a big wheel alignment as the geometry will be out. Is this correct? Also has anyone have any further tips to pass on when changing front and rear coils?
GTHOXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

: In the VCT its a case of "to remove and replace rears....see instructions for fronts".

Spring compressors are a good idea. Apart from that, undo the top nut, undo the bolt at the bottom of the strut, lift up and then slide the whole unit out the bottom (jack stands are a must). To refit pull the rubber locator out of the top bracket and adjust to suit the new positioning of the spring, insert strut into new spring, insert whole unit back in. Line up and fit the bottom bolt (bit fiddly), do up top nut. Repeat on the other side. Then get a wheel alignment for camber. All done.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
GTHOXR8

Thanks Casper. If I don't rush, looks like I will need a whole day to do all four corners. I should change the shocks while I am at it.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHOXR8
Thanks Casper. If I don't rush, looks like I will need a whole day to do all four corners. I should change the shocks while I am at it.
Not a problem. Cant help you with the backs though, that live axle stuff is all different to mine. My rears were basically the same deal as my fronts due to IRS.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHOXR8
I have the Haynes manual which helps - I think I have copies of the relevant pages at home if you would like me to send them to you (just PM me your email address). Following the proper instructions, I did all four shocks in the IRS XR8 in about 4 hours, and all 4 in the wagon in about 2.5 hours (wagon has leaf springs, so shocks are easier to remove & replace) .
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 01-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #14
parawolf
beep beep

Get 2 large sized mates to sit on the fender you want to compress, cable tie the spring down in its compressed manner (you'll need about 50 of them) and then it should come off easy. no need for expensive spring compressors. If you want a reusable system, get some velcro cable ties from dick smith. : : :

: : :

I'M KIDDING!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #15
GTHOXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
I have the Haynes manual which helps - I think I have copies of the relevant pages at home if you would like me to send them to you (just PM me your email address). Following the proper instructions, I did all four shocks in the IRS XR8 in about 4 hours, and all 4 in the wagon in about 2.5 hours (wagon has leaf springs, so shocks are easier to remove & replace) .
Thanks for the offer JC. I have just secured a copy from a friend of a friend!!
Good to hear about the time taken. Gives me an idea on what to expect.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Well i replaced mine yesterday while I was at Cresent Motorsport ... good thing I had the use of a hoist while replacing my rear leaf springs ... damn heavy bastards.

I just had the issue of getting the bottom shock mount over the ball joint in the ute ... I only got 1.5" lower coils on the front though ... so not that lowered. But I replaced my front shocks with Pedders gas shock as well at the same time.

I used spring compressors (I don't have a death wish) ... have also heard the $30 ones from SuperCrap are dangerous and have been known to bust under pressure.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Well i replaced mine yesterday while I was at Cresent Motorsport ... good thing I had the use of a hoist while replacing my rear leaf springs ... damn heavy bastards.

I just had the issue of getting the bottom shock mount over the ball joint in the ute ... I only got 1.5" lower coils on the front though ... so not that lowered. But I replaced my front shocks with Pedders gas shock as well at the same time.

I used spring compressors (I don't have a death wish) ... have also heard the $30 ones from SuperCrap are dangerous and have been known to bust under pressure.

And to add to this I'll post up pics later on when it has settled properly in a couple of weeks time.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:18 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
And to add to this I'll post up pics later on when it has settled properly in a couple of weeks time.
Add the pics now - it really won't settle that much. Maybe a couple of mm, but it will be hard to pick.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:43 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Well lets just say there's still a gap between guard and tyre ... but not as much as it used to be ... what I am happy with is the ride ... much better control with the new shocks up front ... and the rear is still comfy as well ... not harsh or bouncy at all.

At first it seemed hard to pick ... but it has dropped a bit though ... I'll need to load the ute up a few times to see how it goes. Then i will show a before and after photo.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #20
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Do you need different shocks or is it recommended if you lower by 30mm? I pick up mine on Monday.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I got different shocks ... cos i wanted better control for handling.
Stock front shocks were ditched in favour of heavy duty gas items.
My rear shocks were good ... so i left them in until i need replacing them ... but being a ute they are already fairly heavy duty as it is.