Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-09-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Default Government solution to petrol prices

Charge us more for the cars that use more fuel!

Watching the news tonight.

A comittee of federal MP's want cars that use more fuel than most to cost more. For instance "fuel guzzling 4x4's" should cost more via a gov imposed tax to discourage people buying them.

How long will it take for not only 4 wheelers but performance cars to be targeted. Where will it stop. The governements method of targeting smoking was to increase the cost of cigarettes to discourage people buying them. In reality all it does is line the governemts pockets some more.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 11:52 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

So much for supporting the crucial Australian motoring manufacturers...
Old 12-09-2005, 11:57 PM   #3
RATT

The government that gets off the **** and does something to reduce the cost of fuel will get my vote. And this current initiative is ot one of them.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 12:04 AM   #4
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
The government that gets off the **** and does something to reduce the cost of fuel will get my vote. And this current initiative is ot one of them.
zactly
people that have these cars already pay the government a premium for using them in the form of higher rego and fuel taxes...guess where my vote is going??

ps RATT....carn the dragons!!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #5
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
very well said but 20 years ago people didn't worry about waiting for a government to do something they forced them to with thier feet , pockets and pickets. so statements like this make me laugh at how pathetic we have become . this is not targetted at you but everone of us in general sorry for the whinge.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Is this like the NSW governments

"Use less water! We've squandered the infrastructure spending so you must use less water or our dams will run dry"

"You've all been good lil voters, washed your cars from buckets etc, however there is one slight problem"

"because you've used less and we're down on the revenue we are going to have to increase the price by 35%"

We have long memories !!!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 12:17 AM   #7
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Is this like the NSW governments

"Use less water! We've squandered the infrastructure spending so you must use less water or our dams will run dry"

"You've all been good lil voters, washed your cars from buckets etc, however there is one slight problem"

"because you've used less and we're down on the revenue we are going to have to increase the price by 35%"

We have long memories !!!
yep seems like our governments state and federal seem to find fixes everyday, charge more and do nothing. it is getting out of hand is it the same in NZ.
Old 13-09-2005, 12:21 AM   #8
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
very well said but 20 years ago people didn't worry about waiting for a government to do something they forced them to with thier feet , pockets and pickets. so statements like this make me laugh at how pathetic we have become . this is not targetted at you but everone of us in general sorry for the whinge.
Fair comment. But what else is there to do? Stop buying as much fuel? Not really possible. What I have noticed is the knee jerk reaction by the car buying public in dumping large cars for small ones. Bad idea. All we can really do is make noise about it.

For me it's simple. I enjoy my car and think that's more important than worrying about the fact that I'm paying $1.40/litre plus for fuel.
Old 13-09-2005, 12:29 AM   #9
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Fair comment. But what else is there to do? Stop buying as much fuel? Not really possible. What I have noticed is the knee jerk reaction by the car buying public in dumping large cars for small ones. Bad idea. All we can really do is make noise about it.

For me it's simple. I enjoy my car and think that's more important than worrying about the fact that I'm paying $1.40/litre plus for fuel.
yeah in a way if people are buying smaller cars it is voting with your feet i guess.as things go up i wonder what will be next, probably mobile phones thrown in the bin . and holidays cancelled .
there is an interesting story on cars editorial ( website ) about bmw's CEO predicting oil will come down to about US $50 /PER BARRELL AND STABILISE THERE THOUGH . HOPE HE IS RIGHT.
Old 13-09-2005, 12:35 AM   #10
RATT

It probably will come down, and that's why our polies are doing nothing.
Old 13-09-2005, 12:39 AM   #11
Kryton

just wait till they start charging more for motorbike rego or even gas powered cars because of the fuel crisis.
people get on a bandwagon, the government will tax it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #12
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
just wait till they start charging more for motorbike rego or even gas powered cars because of the fuel crisis.
people get on a bandwagon, the government will tax it.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about... I've got the two cars, one on LPG and one that refuses to run decently on anything but Optimax (little fusspot, just like her owner lol).

I am worried that once ppl go to the trouble of converting their cars to LPG that the govt will understand the reality of all the money and revenue they are missing out on, and make LPG just as expensive as petrol. Basically cos they can do whatever the hell they like and we just have to bend over and take it while saying Please Sir May I Have Some More? _

Whatever cars and fuel we get, the govt will dip its hand in no matter what... fact of life.

RED, yes we do have memories (the NSW water debacle is just atrocious!) but unfortunately nearly everyone else seems to forget when it comes time to vote. That's why Howard is pushing the Telstra sale now, early on in his term. And it's the same with ALL pollies (I'm not singling out Howard, he's just a big example of current political affairs atm).

And no I am not making this about politics btw. :yeees:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 09:33 AM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Just the same old thing from Governments. Got a problem? Easy, fix it by charging another tax.

When will a government of any kind work out that, instread of making the problem more expensive, it migh be better to make the solution cheaper? Gee, theres an odd idea! Instead of hammering those that make a (so called) problem, we can reward those who dont?

Oh, hang on, that would not be an effective way of stripping every last cent out of the population for th pollies end of year payouts, massive wage increases and totally immoral Super benifits. Never mind, tax away boys.
And they wonder why people spit at them.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 09:47 AM   #14
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

Want give me the s#!ts about the price is the oil companies say the price is attriubuted to the oil market. What a load of crap! Last week oil was around $75 US a barrel this week its DOWN $10 to 65US and they are saying that petrol prices well go up again.

the price will have to come down eventually, as people are not going to jump in the car a going away for the weekend or holidays that involve driving. This is going to hurt the tourist industry plus local economies. People need pertol, so when the price goes up other areas of spending stop.

O, and most polies are bull, lieing f****ers. I wouldn't trust them as far as in come kick em.
:

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #15
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

basically if it goes ahead casper and i have no choice, due to having a large family. Can you imagine trying to fit four children and two adults in a small car. It doesnt work, a bit like the old square peg into the round hole. Our lives are changing, no longer can people afford to go for the old sunday drive, or for holidays. So like ba bakes said there goes tourism. Also add to it the fact that people will not be able to afford to eat out, there goes alot of resturants, it just goes on and on. Yes winging about it on here to some may seem useless but basically you guys listen to each other unlike the pollies who only like the sound of their own voice. So now that i have added my two cents worth i shall go back to the cleaning.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #16
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Australian Government did not bring about the current petrol price hikes even if they are laughing all the way to the coffers with the percentage increases they are reaping.

But you cant blame them from having a laugh at a general public who many of will contemplate spending thousand on an alternative fuel which is based on the same source and will soon be subject to the same tax regime.

Or giggle at those that will purchase another vehicle as a cost saving never considering all the extra rego insurance etc.

Or even lick their lips at those that will knee jerk react and sell the Falcon for a micro car only to decide it wasn't for them and buy back later on. A lot of stamp duty and charges to be reaped on those exercises. remember those 4 cylinder commodores etc.

A bit of common sense on the sums would go a long way, pay up and get on with it. But don't pay up and shut up, keep the heat in the pollies. Who has actually gone to the trouble of writing to their local member or any constructive lobbying.

Governments will dish out whats required to cull the noise, I'll bet St George gets broadband long before many much larger areas in the capital cities, why do you think that is?
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #17
ck11

Economists said there was not much governments could do to protect motorists from higher petrol prices that reflected global supply and demand.

The chief economist at AMP Capital Investors, Shane Oliver, said cutting petrol excise or GST would be unwise. "It just encourages greater consumption of what is proving to be a finite resource. The better way to hand that back [increased GST and resource rents] is via income tax cuts, rather than considering artificially lowering the petrol price."
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #18
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford and Holden will go broke if this is the case 'cause nobody would want to buy a V8 or a Turbo.
Why can't they reduce the tax on fuel 'cause we pay a sh!t load of it.
Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #19
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
Ford and Holden will go broke if this is the case 'cause nobody would want to buy a V8 or a Turbo.
Why can't they reduce the tax on fuel 'cause we pay a sh!t load of it.

I agree with you on this. We pay GST plus some other bull tax (can't remember its name at the moment) Talk about double dipping

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #20
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I agree with what you have written Red but not the conversion to alternate fule, meaning LPG. Yes, it is from the same source as regular petrol and will run out at the same time. But the cost savings of changing to it are quite large. Also, LPG is going to be taxed but not at the rate regular petrol is. There is a lot of merit to the lpg argument. And each time the price of petrol goes up it adds more weight to that argument.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey I have a great idea, instead of INCREASING charges for big cars, DISCOUNT little cars.
Free rego, no GST or other taxes, should drop the price of a Focus to about $9k or so.

How about limit all cars to 50km/h? There will NEVER be another road death because they are all 100% because of speed and there will be heaps less fuel used.
Of course most of the states will go broke from lack of speeding fines (except victoria which will lower it's highway speed limit to 30km/h for safety reasons)

Of course this will never happen. Greedy bastards. Look at the latest scam, Telstra needs $2B to be sold and it is government dogma to do this so, guess what, WE the tax payers are going to fund it.

"A democracy always gets the governement it deserves" (quote: some german bloke about 1937)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The government come up with a solution? Yeah Ill be supprised when one of their "solutions" work.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #23
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever the outcome lets hope they put some of that extra taxes earned from the price hikes back into the road system.
Old 13-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #24
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Whatever the outcome lets hope they put some of that extra taxes earned from the price hikes back into the road system.
now that is funny!
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
I wish i could be that optimistic. They have got plenty from speed cameras yet where is it goin?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 04:34 PM   #26
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Make a list of all Federal & State MP's

Make a list of all Federal & State MP's that want to add a new fuel tax and post it on the forums.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #27
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem is, as someone has already mentioned with water, is that even if every one used less petrol this would reduce the governments revenue, therefore they would have to reduce costs (not likely) or put more taxes on us (very likely)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
Charge us more for the cars that use more fuel!

Watching the news tonight.

A comittee of federal MP's want cars that use more fuel than most to cost more. For instance "fuel guzzling 4x4's" should cost more via a gov imposed tax to discourage people buying them.

How long will it take for not only 4 wheelers but performance cars to be targeted. Where will it stop. The governements method of targeting smoking was to increase the cost of cigarettes to discourage people buying them. In reality all it does is line the governemts pockets some more.
Anybody from Smelly Sydney here? Did'nt a local metro govt body try to do something like this with alloted resident car park spaces a while ago. IE:If you drive a big (read 4WD) we will have to charge you to park your car on the street, but if you drive a small car you can still do it for free.
Old 13-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #29
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't wait to see what you guys think about your groceries bill. Quite a few things have already gone up due to transport costs. IE milk. My grocery budget for 2 adults and 2 children is $300. Due to petrol prices it's now around $360-$380. I noticed my water bills increased yet my water usage has decreased. Usual bill is $120ish. Current water bill $199.

Thanks Mr Howard. Now those extra payments for my mortgage has to go to fuel and eating. Never liked Howard before and still don't. He's done nothing but create BS tax's. The GST was supposed to decrease the amount of tax we were paying. Don't know about you but mine increased by more than 10%.

I now earn $20,000 a year more than I did 10 years ago but everythings price has increased so much it's just the same as if I was still earning $30,000pa.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #30
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

howard will never get my vote, fullstop
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post