Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Default New Focus in a Top Gear Episode

Just finished watching an episode of Top Gear from late last year, where they reviewed the LS Focus just before was released in the UK.

It was an interesting comparison between what they considered were it's main rivals (from a list of Toyota Corolla, Vauxhall Astra, VW Golf, Seat Alteya, Honda Civic, and Renault Megane, they chose the Golf and the Astra) and the new Focus.

First of all, they point out that the new Focus has alot to live up to. The LR Focus was the class leader for 6 years, and the LS has big shoes to fill. First to be judged was exterior looks, and unfortunately, the Focus did not fair well. The LS is so bland compared to the LR Focus, they parked one on the side of the road weeks before its release and not a single passerby on the sidewalk in a busy city street looked at it. They said you'd have to point out to people that its a new car, because noone would even notice. The new Astra won the exterior looks competition hands down, in their opinion, whereas the Golf shape is conservative.

Then the Focus starts to fight back... the interior is incredibly drab and dreary, but there is an air of quality to it. The plastics feel more classy, the buttons feel more well put together, the controls feel chunky... and the space amazing, even the three door. And the boot is bigger than any of the competitors.

It also wins on price, the newest car of the lot is also the cheapest. The Astra was closest, the Golf was the most expensive.

But the biggest party trick of the LR Focus was the way it drives. They asked, did it pass on the torch to the LS Focus? ... Oh yes. The steering is sharp, the Golf and Astra have improved but nowhere near as sharp as the Focus. The ride feels more grown up, but it's just as much fun.

They finished with the comment that: Under the skin, the Focus is a very good car, but it blows its trumpet so badly with the very dull looks, will it appeal to you like the old one does?

I'll try to take the clipping out of the video and get it to a size that I can upload to www.eurofordclub.com, for those who want to see the review (but I am not guaranteeing it, I'll try). I just thought it was interesting to hear the views of the Top Gear team, they obviously have alot of experience with a wide range of cars.

Tim

Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah very interesting Tim, funnily enough when Matt brought the LS FEU up to Albury so I could see it (: i saw it before all of you! haha!), we got plenty of looks from passers by all trying to work out what it was.

I love the dash layout on the new model, the steering wheel in particular is lightyears ahead of the LR one (IMHO - i dont like the LR one much) and the cluster is nice and easy to read, but also looks a bit better than the boring LR one. Thats all just my opinion but I do like a bit o' bling!

The plastics feel classy - hmmm, thats a matter of opinion. I feel the LR dash is a lot "warmer" than what seems to be a cold, hard expanse of plastic dash as found in the LS.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #3
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Ok, I have uploaded both the Top Gear LS Focus Review, and then also the small section where they are back in the studio with all three presenters, the cars, and the audience, with some general comments.

Right click and then choose Save Target As or Save As to download the videos to your computer.

Top Gear LS Focus Review (7.5MB) - 5 min 23 secs

Top Gear LS Focus Studio Comments (1.79MB) - 56 secs

I uploaded them to www.eurofordclub.com from dialup, so even dialup users can download it. Enjoy peoples.

Tim

Last edited by Timmeh; 12-08-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
simonr
Focus Rookie

Awesome, I love that show its the best. Merc SLR, Aston Martin DB9, Rolls Phantom, Maybach, Bentleys.........

aahhh one day...
Old 12-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Thanks for taking the time and trouble Timmeh. Good effort
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
whippet_zetec
Supes

Great work Tim...

Top Gear is a great show and love the piece on the new focus....
Old 12-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Yeah very interesting Tim, funnily enough when Matt brought the LS FEU up to Albury so I could see it (: i saw it before all of you! haha!), we got plenty of looks from passers by all trying to work out what it was.

I love the dash layout on the new model, the steering wheel in particular is lightyears ahead of the LR one (IMHO - i dont like the LR one much) and the cluster is nice and easy to read, but also looks a bit better than the boring LR one. Thats all just my opinion but I do like a bit o' bling!

The plastics feel classy - hmmm, thats a matter of opinion. I feel the LR dash is a lot "warmer" than what seems to be a cold, hard expanse of plastic dash as found in the LS.
OK, now I understand buying a new car and then an update coming out can be annoying; but surely this is a bit of denial.

When people say the new focus looks better, it doesn't mean that the previous was/is a dog; its still good. But its undeniable that the new focus will be more widely accepted as its ditches the edge design.

The interior is miles ahead, I cannot comprehend how someone could think that its not better; in quality and overall looks; not to mention its functionuality.

Driving, well, I did it before you so ner ner ner : ...lol....its great. Awesome shift, good enough performance (bring on the ST!) and good economy.

The new focus is better than the old, its as simple as that. I have heard some people say that the old one was more unique, and thats fine, but this one will sell better no doubt, and thats what matters.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Nice review there! About the comments back at the studio.... what does he start to say about the Citroen C4 before it cuts out?! And... in regards to the quality plastics on the interior, is the UK car built in the UK or Germany? And if so.... i think they could have a different quality of plastic there then used in South Africa... just a theory!

Also.... found this review in carsguide:

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E27286,00.html

Pretty useless... they dunno much about cars, cause if they did, they would know the Corolla has 100kw and 171nm of torque, not 110kw... meaning its actually LESS powerful. Idiots!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)

Last edited by Teki04; 12-08-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:21 AM   #9
whippet_zetec
Supes

lol....@ Teki...

mate that article comes from the "Telecrap" writers so I dont know why you are suprised that they can get things like that wrong.....

In point on the interior, to me it looks better but DOESNT feel better...I much prefer the softer feel of the LR....then again thats my opinion and other will obvioulsy differ and thats what these forums are all about.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #10
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
OK, now I understand buying a new car and then an update coming out can be annoying; but surely this is a bit of denial.

The interior is miles ahead, I cannot comprehend how someone could think that its not better; in quality and overall looks; not to mention its functionuality.
I'm sorry to say it, but I agree with back2thefutura (shock! amazement! j/k), and so do alot of people. The interior of the new Focus is what made me decide to stay with my current Focus. I am a massive fan of interiors, and the Mk II does not feel as comfortable as the Mk I. The plastics and door trims are harder, colder, less soft and inviting. It's like leaning your elbow on a rock while you cruise around.

If you think it's better, then good for you. But you can't say that everyone is agreeing with you. Your opinion, and you're entitled to it, remains yours.

Quote:
The new focus is better than the old, its as simple as that. I have heard some people say that the old one was more unique, and thats fine, but this one will sell better no doubt, and thats what matters.
It matters if you're a shareholder for Ford. The new Focus does have alot of great features, but there are too many things I don't like about it that kept me out of one. One is exterior styling, two is the terrible interior. More apparent problems appear to be the bad paint finish on the cars, as detailed by owners of the LS Focus on these forums. Good points are a more healthy (if not more plastic, but you get that these days) engine, a bit more interior space, and another 3 years of warranty. And yes, these are my opinions.

Tim
Old 12-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Nice review there! About the comments back at the studio.... what does he start to say about the Citroen C4 before it cuts out?!
The presenters go on to introduce the Citroen C4 where the steering wheel moves but the centre doesn't. They like the styling, they say it's cheap in price because it has Citroen build quality where the mirrors are attached to the car by spit, and goes on sale soon.

Good pick-up that he was starting to introduce the C4.

Tim
Old 12-08-2005, 01:05 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeap your entitled to your opinion to Tim. But success is reflected by sales, and if this focus doesn't greatly out do the old then Ford Aus might as well give up now.

You guys are the exception, and even though you dont meant to, you will be biast; its natural. But for the normal buyer who will have NOT come from the previous focus, they will look at it and go phoah, thats great!

The old VS new debate reaks of AU VS BA, or T3 VS GT. Both have there good and bad points, but overall, customers will want the new focus, BA's and GT's.

Looks aside, the engine itself is worth the upgrade from the previous 1.8 and 2.0.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I have to agree, the interior of the new focus esecially the door trims, look like rubbish.

Hard plastic is nothing to get excited about

Chris
Old 12-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #14
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:

Looks aside, the engine itself is worth the upgrade from the previous 1.8 and 2.0.
I dont think anyone here is suggesting otherwise in the engine department that the MK2's engine plant is better than the MK1, whether that is justification to go out and fork over more $$$$ is another questions all together.

I for one am sure the MK2 will do quite well in sales, in regards to the interior people dont really have any choice there do they anyway so they will have to take it as it is.

MK1 owners will have their opinions and MK2 owners will have their's....obvioulsy biased by each ones aliegance to their model and there will be some who can see good and bad bits for both......
Old 12-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #15
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Mine isnt biased by anything

i just think all plastic looks crap no matter what car its on

especially the hard plastic stuff like this

Chris
Old 12-08-2005, 02:19 PM   #16
whippet_zetec
Supes

well I hadnt pointed it out but the plastic interior for the MK2 is very BA Falcon, same print, same texture, same harsh feel
Old 12-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #17
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

yeah didnt like that much either.... prefer much softer style of interior personally

chris
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #18
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

[QUOTE=Polyal] But success is reflected by sales QUOTE]

Therefore the Corolla is the best car in the world, because it is the No 1 selling car in the world. Go figure!!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Hmmm... Im going to comment on this one even tho I probarly shouldnt.

The LS Focus is finally starting to put a smile on my dial after having it for 2 weeks, even tho we have had a few problems with it. Its a f*$&#& awesome car to drive and looks brillant in the black with the big tyres (even tho the pics i posted looked ). Build quality isnt one of its strong points but the interior for me after driven an LR runout last week is 1000 times better, specially the ICC and the gearstick...The seats however seem to be basically the same and very unsupportive (getting out of an XR thats expectable)..

As for the door trims really I dont have a problem with, but the one I was driving had no power windows where as the new one does (front atleast)... Overall this is how id rate both cars..

Mark I Auto - 6 / 10 when compared with say a Mazda 3. ty interior, Hatch back looks good with the optional 17 inch rims as per B2TF has, sedan is a shocker...
Mark I Manual - 4 / 10 I particularly HATED the LR manuals, the gearbox was an absolute joke to drive, had no feel about it and it was hard to comprehend if you have gotten a gear or if you were out in lala land, never would touch one.
Mark II Auto 8 / 10 - took 1 point off for basic finish. Great interior, very much like a BA dash wise, and you can actually mount a mobile phone next to the radio without it looking like a disaster or drilling any holes, very user friendly. (Gotta show you some pics of this setup later). Exterior is great in either sedan or hatch, but I rather the LS in a sedan which contradicts my feelings on the LR... Somehow I think ford should have kept the LR hatch rear as it looked quite nice, somewhat dissapointed with the LS hatch rear.
Mark II Manual - havent driven one.

Now out of the possible 10 points this is based on this cars category, thats not compared with a BA or anything else, just the medium to small sized vehicle. I still think the Fiesta is probarly the Best out of the two if you can squeze into one, but the LS will be a very popular car, especially the Sedan. LR is still a great car to drive especially in the Auto variant, I let one of my lady friends drive the LR hatch auto I had last week and she loved it compared to her Corrolla, especially the dash layout which suprised me.

Overall LS has alot more to offer, but with the right specs an LR will more then do the job.

Unfortunately due to supply issues statistics will show sales as being **** poor for the first 6 months neways.

This is a non biased post as the Focus is my mums car, she picked it and I did the business with respect to buying it.. Ive driven it a few kays, but have done alot more kays in an LR Focus, I hope no one gets upset with what I have said :
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #20
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
You guys are the exception, and even though you dont meant to, you will be biast; its natural. But for the normal buyer who will have NOT come from the previous focus, they will look at it and go phoah, thats great!
I know what you're saying, and sure, to a degree, I might agree. If people didn't know the Mk I's features, they wouldn't know that the Mk II's interior is alot harder than the Mk I's.

But look at it from my perspective. I have the funds to walk into a Ford showroom and just buy a Mk II Focus if I wanted. But if its a step backwards to what I have now, in the comfort - which is my perception of how the car feels - then why would I spend the money. But it's good for Ford if the public love the car and buy lots and lots and soon you'll see them everywhere, even in your sleep! I think that's what you want me to say. Haha, all good, it's just friendly discussion.

Shockwave - I am suprised at your comments regarding the Mk I manual - it's one of the best gearboxes I have ever used, I love it. It's so smooth and precise compared to the notchy T5 we had in our BA XR6. Not arguing, just suprised! I suppose I did modify the shifter actually... I can't remember it stock, so probably disregard that. Of course nowhere near as good as the short-shift gearbox from my '79 RS2000! 2mm from fourth to first, what could possibly go wrong! :hihi:

Tim

Last edited by Timmeh; 12-08-2005 at 04:04 PM. Reason: The word gearbox has no 'i' in it
Old 12-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yeh im not sure... I was comparing it to our Mazda SP20 at the time.

It was only an SR sedan and seemed a little too direct, didnt actually feel like you were putting it into gear.. Maybe for me the notchy box is what I am use to and didnt really appreciate the focus one. I would like to try and ST170 one day to see what the six speed was like.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

[QUOTE=melbzetec]
Quote:
But success is reflected by sales QUOTE]

Therefore the Corolla is the best car in the world, because it is the No 1 selling car in the world. Go figure!!!
Id rather Ford sell corolla numbers if that means success yes, then they would have cash for other things such as convertibles and even FPV varients. :

Ford doesn't really need to win over you current LR owners; the people ford want are ex-falcon owners who are sick of paying for so much fuel or obviously other customers in the B car segment.

Im sure there are a few good corolla's around, that 140 odd kw one cant be that bad. Previously, Levin (sprinter thingy from intital D)....
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-08-2005, 08:45 PM   #23
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
I would like to try and ST170 one day to see what the six speed was like.
The 6 speed is quite nice, only issue i have is where reverse is and slamming it back into 2nd gear sometimes doesnt always go in, as it thinks you are trying to get into R

Chris
Old 12-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #24
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:

Im sure there are a few good corolla's around, that 140 odd kw one cant be that bad. Previously, Levin (sprinter thingy from intital D)....
Not the best car, power is all up to high to be always usable, even less torque then the ST, although yes its a smaller engine...

Power still is up way to high for anything.

Chris
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #25
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Ford doesn't really need to win over you current LR owners;
Actually, repeat business is worth a mint to them. That's how any good company makes easy money, anyone involved in business can tell you that. A customer who visits once is worth alot less than someone who keeps coming back for more.

Quote:
the people ford want are ex-falcon owners who are sick of paying for so much fuel or obviously other customers in the B car segment.
A fair few of our Eurofordclub members are ex Falcon pilots for the same reason... myself, fordel, whippet_zetec, Danny...

Tim
Old 12-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #26
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Actually, repeat business is worth a mint to them. That's how any good company makes easy money, anyone involved in business can tell you that. A customer who visits once is worth alot less than someone who keeps coming back for more.

A fair few of our Eurofordclub members are ex Falcon pilots for the same reason... myself, fordel, whippet_zetec, Danny...

Tim
Yes they rely on us (core customer) to a certain extent. But the sad thing is no matter whats wrong with the car, if you have the money at the time you will still buy it because its a Ford. I think all of us on this forum are guilty of that.

Id rather Ford win over peugeot/renault/astra customers first. If an LR owner doesn't like the LS I cant seem them selling up and getting a corolla etc etc. They will hold onto the LR and wait until a good enough deal is out on the LS, or an update comes out.

You wouldn't buy a ST just because the interior plastic in your opinion was a bit hard?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-08-2005, 04:15 PM   #27
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
You wouldn't buy a ST just because the interior plastic in your opinion was a bit hard?
If the ST came out priced under the Golf GTi I'd put up with hard plastics QUITE happily. Anything to crap all over those GTi's!!!!! From what I've seen in pics here of the ST, it looks gorgeous, the 18's suit the massive wheel arches finally and I highly doubt it will be anything less than brilliant knowing just about every single small hot Ford to exit Europe in over 3o years... :
Old 13-08-2005, 04:17 PM   #28
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Quote:
You are right, I wouldnt buy an ST if it had the hard plastics in it .....

Chris
Old 13-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #29
zetec
Zoom Zoom

162kw 2.5 5-cyl Turbo? WRX keeping honest power, GTi killing power, Corolla Sportivo killing power, Astra Turbo killing power, power to keep up with an XR6 Turbo... yes please!!
Old 13-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #30
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
162kw 2.5 5-cyl Turbo? WRX keeping honest power, GTi killing power, Corolla Sportivo killing power, Astra Turbo killing power, power to keep up with an XR6 Turbo... yes please!!

I will have 2 for at that spec please
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post