Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Default Austar

After years of listening to my team on the radio i'm considering to get pay-tv so I can watch them play live. It's not thr only reason obviously, I'd probably enjoy the comedy and music channels as well as special interest which I used to watch on my grandmas austar when she had it.

My question is for those with experience is it worth it? which channels are worth watching ect anything to help my decsion. i've heard the movie channels are crap which is ok because I have most new movies on dvd a while before they make it to pay-tv

cheers
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
Filthy GT-P
Saving Water Filthy again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
After years of listening to my team on the radio i'm considering to get pay-tv so I can watch them play live. It's not thr only reason obviously, I'd probably enjoy the comedy and music channels as well as special interest which I used to watch on my grandmas austar when she had it.

My question is for those with experience is it worth it? which channels are worth watching ect anything to help my decsion. i've heard the movie channels are crap which is ok because I have most new movies on dvd a while before they make it to pay-tv

cheers
Most of the time it is worth it. Sometimes it is just more channels of crap to flick through to still decide there is nothing on TV. However of you are a football (AFL) nut the footy channel is brilliant, however if you don't like fotty is sucks.

The documentarties are great, the movies seem a waste of money and I am adicted to cooking shows.

Our family would not function without it.

Regards

Steven
Old 13-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i cant live without foxtel
ch9 only has 2 NRL games a week now
fox has all the games and for you guys in mexico
that game you guys love so much has its own chanel 24/7
totaly worth it.
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I think the extra "fun and entertainment" and "laughter and living" packages are annoying because they both have a channel I like but the others are rubbish

http://www.austar.com.au/experience/options.asp#
Old 13-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
The Mighty Red

i signed up for the whole package and then cancelled everthing but the basic package after the first month . I have it for the English premier League which is great with fantastic coverage but as for the rest of it ,you would have to be a real TV junkie to get enjoyment out of mostly 30 year old re runs . Although the discover and history channels are good but constantly repeat themselves
Old 13-06-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Couldnt go without it! Australian TV is absolutely house!

Sport, Comedy and Documentaries are the best...Movies are a waste of money...thats what the internet is for...

Just make sure you get FOX 8 so that you can a daily dose of The Simpsons!!!! ;)
Old 14-06-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I've always wondered why Cable/Satelitte TV is not that popular in Australia, in NZ we only got Sky tv or Saturn cable (which uses the sky channels but quality isnt as good) in some places and like everyone has it, you go down the street and almost everyone has the grey dish on it.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
MrQuan
Social Disaster

My mate recently cancelled his Foxtel. I stayed at his house a fair bit and when we watched the box we rarely put foxtel on. Just hired movies mostly... But then again TV in general is pretty dismal.

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #9
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

I had Foxtel/Austar for about two years. I got sick of paying for reruns and old movies. There were too many times where you would flick through all those channels and still have nothing to watch.

My m-i-l has Austar so I flick through her tv guide and if there is anything particularly special on then I'll ask her to tape it. About once every few months this may actually happen. The latest and greatest channel she has is Animal Planet. It is the super cutest bestest fantasticest channel

If Austar were more helpful and let you select each channel individually - not bundling them together for profit - then I would get it back on. I got sick of having to pay for channels I never watched... it just didn't make financial sense. And when you ask them about it, they come up with crap like "Oh we can't send individual channel signals to each and every house". Course they can, they just DON'T WANT TO. There's a difference.

Also our family watches enough tv as it is... if we had Austar we'd just sit there most of the day and nothing would get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #10
big_pete
Sublime

we got it on for the winter, mainly for the footy.
i can say its alot better than free to air crap,
i really like the documentary style shows and sports, the Crime channell is good too - if your into that stuff

shows like american chopper and Rides make it all worth while i think
Old 14-06-2005, 05:54 PM   #11
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

My mate recently got it hooked up. Not bad considering. The ads drive me insane.
Old 14-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #12
w0lf
Starter Motor

My parents have the Austar basic package and i think its pretty good. Get all the footy games that arent shown on free-to-air tv plus documentries and all the rest.
Like big_pete said there are some awesome shows on Discovery channel like Rides, Amercian Chopper, Monster Garage, etc. Also get Checkered Flag and a couple of other motorsport shows on Fox Sports as well as Nascars. Comedy Channel has some pretty good shows as well
w0lf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
Steffo
LPG > You

I haven't had Foxtel since 2002, and I still miss it. Normal TV sucks. We used to have every channel, but then I sacrificed Foxtel for Cable internet (at the time, in my old house, I have ADSL now). It was one or the other, and I opted not to have 56gay.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 08:54 PM   #14
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had it for years...pay $100 a month for all the channels and most of the time can't find something decent to watch. What s me the most though is paying to watch re-runs and ads. As if we don't get enough ads on normal TV, we are now paying for them.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

The NRL is the only reason I have Austar, the movies are e, and everything is repeated way too much.

It was great about 7-8 years ago, no commercial ads, the only ads were promoting other programs coming up, and a hell of alot more new movies.

****es me off, you'll be watching a channel and a bloody Jamster ad will come on then straight after a different mobile phone ad will come on.
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #16
Franky
Bring back the Phase

so now they are just like free tv ads??? that really sucks....