Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2022, 02:38 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Mitsubishi Express van axed after ‘zero star’ crash test, fallout with Renault

The more time goes on, the more things stay the same - looks like the current 'Mitsubishi Express' is just as much as a widow maker as ye olde Mitsubishi Express

Quote:
Mitsubishi Express van axed after ‘zero star’ crash test, fallout with Renault

When Mitsubishi adopted the Renault Trafic it knew the vehicle would not perform well in ANCAP crash tests – even though it passed the low bar set for government approvals – but the company took a gamble that the independent safety authority might not test the vehicle.

However, about a year after the Mitsubishi Express went on sale, it was slammed for safety after scoring Australia’s first ‘zero star’ score in crash tests.
https://www.drive.com.au/news/mitsub...-with-renault/

I loved seeing the previous model Mitsubishi Express vans on DCOA compilations, usually doing a mad lockup of a front wheel and blasting through a stop sign because it stops, steers and handles like the Costa Concordia.

This was the previous generation Mitsubishi Express with its 1 star safety rating:

Getting your wig split by the steering wheel is a solid effort from this family of widow makers.

Good lord if over a decade later you're scoring 0 stars, what happens when you stack the current model?

Mitsubishi might want to touch base with our federal government about how to deal with getting shafted by French companies

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 28-04-2022 at 03:07 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Mitsubishi Express van axed after ‘zero star’ crash test, fallout with Renault

Mitzi Big girls. Go on live dangerously.
All they needed to comply would be a set of bars and and nice bouncy spare hanging up front. I found a dinghy on the roof was always a great fore sail for that extra tacking into the wind, fuel economy.

Gotta say it was a great van that wouldn't die.

Can't believe I'm seeing these things getting around on historic rego now. Why.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mitsubishi Express van axed after ‘zero star’ crash test, fallout with Renault

I stopped paying attention to star ratings when entire stars were awarded for driver aids. It's like awarding a Noble prize for best advancement, but also having to score well on your physical appearance at the gala.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I stopped paying attention to star ratings when entire stars were awarded for driver aids. It's like awarding a Noble prize for best advancement, but also having to score well on your physical appearance at the gala.
Active AND Passive safety should be measured.
Old 28-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Mitzi Big girls. Go on live dangerously.
All they needed to comply would be a set of bars and and nice bouncy spare hanging up front. I found a dinghy on the roof was always a great fore sail for that extra tacking into the wind, fuel economy.

Gotta say it was a great van that wouldn't die.

Can't believe I'm seeing these things getting around on historic rego now. Why.
Cause historic rego everyone takes the ****, oh yes I'm sure there's a 1985 L300 Mitsubishi Express enthusiast club that holds regular club meetings at the local tip

They're tough, just don't come off the road or let someone else bump into you.
6 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 11:31 AM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I still see that TAC ad when I was a kid with the drivers head bouncing around when a van crashed.

Id never, ever, own a van like that you need something infront of you other than sheet metal.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 28-04-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 11:52 AM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Bits a missing….in this case it’s your legs…..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 12:04 PM   #8
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I don't pay attention to start ratings, they mean very little. Any system that uses ratings needs to have a constant. The rubbish that a 4 start rating from two years ago is no longer a 4 star, and a 5 star form 6 years ago is now a 2 star is beyond moronic. It scares me more than driving a Camira that people who design these systems think that is acceptable.

Why not just add more stars to keep older ratings relevant?

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 12:19 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
I don't pay attention to start ratings, they mean very little. Any system that uses ratings needs to have a constant. The rubbish that a 4 start rating from two years ago is no longer a 4 star, and a 5 star form 6 years ago is now a 2 star is beyond moronic. It scares me more than driving a Camira that people who design these systems think that is acceptable.

Exactly, I think it’s deliberate to force manufacturers to keep their five star rating
but in fact confuses the heck out of buyers who can’t understand why their new
Hilux is now rated as four stars or will be soon..
Old 28-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #10
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post

I'm not saying the system is perfect, as you rightly called out it is confusing.
My commentary was in response to the inclusion of active safety items.
Old 28-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #11
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

l300's go great offroad....if you have a 4x4 one, love my delica they dont go fast enough to crash like the above video so im safe and yes its on a club permit

pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 01:40 PM   #12
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Absolutely, as separate ratings. Would make so much more sense this way.

ANCAP is a joke, it is far too complicated.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcman View Post
l300's go great offroad....if you have a 4x4 one, love my delica they dont go fast enough to crash like the above video so im safe and yes its on a club permit
You don’t get up to 50 kph?
Old 28-04-2022, 02:00 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
You don’t get up to 50 kph?
A skilled L300 owner can get upto a 100, slipstreaming semi's.

6 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 03:02 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Crazy to think a manufacturer would try to get away with this, hoping no one will notice.

Where's the media outrage? lol.

I remember the media outrage when Ford released the F6 and one of the journos, probably Josh Dowling, suggested it should be banned cause it made 550nm of torque. The horror.

Funny how he never mentioned the HSV's of the time that actually made more power and were faster.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 03:09 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Automotive 'journalists' speak more lies than the Russian government

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
A skilled L300 owner can get upto a 100, slipstreaming semi's.
You could probably get it to 250km/h if you understeer it off a cliff because you had 200kg in the back and didn't make it around the corner
Old 28-04-2022, 03:33 PM   #17
roKWiz
Cabover nut

In the early 80's these things made a lot of guys, a lot of money in the courier industry.
The bigger Japtrucks, Transits and CF bedfords were out of reach for would be start up owner driver couriers.
At a time of WB Holden (which I ran), XD Ford panel vans which couldn't carry as much.L300 and the like, more and still be economical on a daily basis by comparison without to much down time.
Most couriers I ran with used them, I don't ever remember anyone going out to have an accident especially the way we all drve at the time.

The runs we did through city traffic would scare the crap out of Mr Safety conscious these days.

Last edited by roKWiz; 28-04-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old 28-04-2022, 04:15 PM   #18
.:4:.
Kicking back

I had an 09 L300 van as a work car for 6 and a half years.
They're an extremely analogue thing to drive, as in you drive them. I would much rather get in an accident in a kingswood.
But the L300s make incredible use of space.
Yes they are a tin can. Nvh × 1000, they were a work tool not a luxury item.
Dunno how the Renault mistsi van did so poorly. Its probably got abs, airbags and all the stuff to turn analogue into robotic. The 2019 triton i had had 7 airbags and was a single cab. Driver, passenger, both seats, both curtains and one under the steering column that was claimed to be for knees, but i reckon in a crash it would punch you in the nads. Mitsubishis way of saying dont crash you idiot....
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #19
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had one of these in the mid 80’s. When the front brake pads wore, they had the tendency to fall out. Apparently a crap design with a single piston. Happened twice, once when driving on Forest Road Penshurst (Sydney) I ended up “stopping” outside a Brake business. They said it happened all the time. There wasn’t a third time.
hawke is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 09:30 PM   #20
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve done some highway miles on mine this week, it doesn’t need a speedo, 100kph is halfway on the temp gauge, 110 is 3/4. Even when empty!
But seriously, the 2021 version was only going to appeal to sole traders, most fleet companies won’t touch a 0 star vehicle.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 28-04-2022, 09:47 PM   #21
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back to the drawing board.
I think even the test dummy when on strike after this one.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 10:39 PM   #22
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We use to have a fleet of around 35-40 of these things. I once put the bull bar into the glovebox of one that was only 6 weeks old. Table top truck turned across in front of me.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 11:04 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
We use to have a fleet of around 35-40 of these things. I once put the bull bar into the glovebox of one that was only 6 weeks old. Table top truck turned across in front of me.
Lose half your workforce to injuries sustained in shopping centers when someone else opens their door into your car and it folds in half
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2022, 05:46 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

This guy fixed the slow aspect of the Mitsubishi Express van - turbo L98 conversion and its his daily driver.

10L/100km - uses less fuel than the standard 2L 4 cylinder engine on the highway lol
Old 29-04-2022, 06:00 PM   #25
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My parents friends had one of those Square 80's one (Like Rockwizz's one) but it was the 4WD version. Thing was lifted, on big mud terrains's and had the 2.6 Astron 2 in it (apparently). This thing would cock a wheel around corners at any speed... I flat our refused to get in the thing and reccomended the same of my parents... I still get anxiety from driving behind that thing...

I'll try find photo's...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2022, 06:04 PM   #26
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
\ Thing was lifted, on big mud terrains's and had the 2.6 Astron 2 in it (apparently). This thing would cock a wheel around corners at any speed

I've seen Ford Rangers do that.

Old 29-04-2022, 07:39 PM   #27
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Everyone laughs and contiunes to ignore the renault version was for sale before and is likely to remain here after.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2022, 09:42 PM   #28
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by janddbone View Post
Everyone laughs and contiunes to ignore the renault version was for sale before and is likely to remain here after.
Do people actually Buy Them, Though....!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2022, 10:37 PM   #29
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Do people actually Buy Them, Though....!!
We have a small Renault dealer in our rural town, the Traffic is very popular, in particular Australia Post contractors and electricians.

For a while, Renault was doing them at $29,990 on the road, at the time Hyundai iLoad was more expensive, and that's before you even start to look at HiAce's, Vito's and Transits.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #30
.:4:.
Kicking back

The 90's/2000s express vans, i think they were discontinued in 2012/13, but the last of the tin can anything. You either love them or hate them. Theres no middle ground. If you dont have a stack of crap to tote around with because you work out of it, you probably hate the things. If you do, because of their small wheelbase and maximised space, theyre awesome.
At my old job, what got me out of one and into a ranger was a meeting with my boss that i was told to keep hush about. I asked him what does he think the most dangerous part of my job was. His response was could be anything as im a risky bastard.
I said nah, its the drive to and from work. Workcover doesnt cover that even if its in a company vehicle.
So bringing up safety, either i get paid from the moment i leave home and get covered, or i get a safer work car. So i got the ranger. The hush money was so that others in the l300 fleet would have to work it out themselves.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post