Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Goodbye our old foe. RIP

I thought our mortal enemy deserved a dedicated goodbye thread.

I learnt how to drive in a HR holden and remember that car with fondness. As I was last year with Ford, I am sad to see Holden go. Both of these companies have been a massive part of my life and many others on here.

Goodbye
Old 20-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default Re: Goodbye our old foe. RIP

i had a hj kingswood, with am radio. it was a great car.
although i didn,t like the tri-matic (tri-hard) gerarbox. it would happily do linelockers.
rip holden
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Football, meat pies no more Holden cars. Sad day for manufacturing in Australia.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had a few Holdens while growing up. HJ Ute, HX Wagon (Full of rust).
My old man bought me a very clean HJ Kingswood sedan for my 1st car.
202, 3 on the tree, bench seat, sunroof and no rust.
Only thing was i spending half my apprentice ship money on petrol as the 202's were pretty thirsty but very reliable.
Unfortunately one day after work i hit and oil patch on a bend in the wet and went sideways into a van and it destroyed the rear quarter..Total right off.

Ended up with much cheaper Mitsi 4 spd manual Sigma with no heater in winter and stretched timing chain!

RIP Holden and factory.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

weird that most of us Ford men had Holdens as first cars.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad day indeed. I've owned Ford V8's most of my life, but jumped ship a few times in the late 80's and 90's, VL Berlina 5.0, VR SS and VS SS. All were great cars without any major issues, but I just felt more comfortable and at home in a Ford. Life can be funny and unpredictable at times, if I would of felt more comfortable in a Holden I would probably have a Clubsport or Redline in my garage rather than a XR8. My favourite car of all time is still a fully flared SLR 5000 and the A9X SS Toranas.

Thanks for the memory's, friendly rivalry and banter over the years Holden, and good luck to all the workers and their families for the future.
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Had an HR Ute, back then....
Was a good ute, trouble free. 3/Tree, 186S, front disc brakes.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
Yes - correct, but then we became wiser.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Uru Holden - thanks for the memories, touching fifty years of rivalry on the mountain, won't be the same but must move on and see what the future holds.

Had a few Holdens in the early years that were good cars for the time but the XY Fairmont led me down the track of having Ford V8's to this day.

Feel for the Holden guys, but at this point in time, I won't be hugging the first Holden guy I see wearing a Brocky shirt.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our first car in Australia (we arrived in 1966) was a 1960 FB Holden, bench seat 3-on-the-tree. What a workhorse that was for us. Took us on our first holiday in Australia down the south coast. Unfortunately, gearbox lost oil and seized on us in the Snowy Mountains.

That was followed by a 149 HR which understeered off the road and hit a telegraph pole.

An HT Kingswood followed this for a few years and then my Dad got his first automatic - an HJ Kingswood which had T-Bar, bucket seats and .... air conditioning!

He then got a VC 4 cylinder Commodore which ran for years until he got a Lexcen. That was his last Holden - he's had Camry's up until just recently when he got a Corolla. He's 84 now and still going.

Thanks for the memories Holden - all the best to the employees, I hope Holden have looked after them.
Old 20-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #11
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

The car that started my passion for cars is a holden vh sl/e my old man had back in the day, I've since seen the light but I never forgot where I came from, bloody sad day
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
Sioso
irregular member

Yep, I had a lot more holdens than fords over the years.
I almost traded my Golf for a an SSV Redline in son of a gun grey a few weeks back.

My brother and I learnt to drive on our farm in a HT ute 253 with a 2 speed powerglide auto.

Thanks for the memories.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #13
Bayson
Banned

Sad day.

I wish i could have bought a VF2 SSV redline. Ripper car for the money.

I bought the fgx xr8 instead but i was extremely impressed wjth the vf2 ss, so close to buying the holden SS. Only bought the fgx as i paid bargain price $52500 drive away brand new. SsV redline was closer to $60k.

We will never see such ripper cars again for that price point, (xr8, ss, xr6t)
Bayson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

They made some ripper cars over their time, even those in partnership with HDT and HSV.
Still think a VF2 SS Wagon is the perfect family car.
Old 20-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #15
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No matter how much I love XR6T's the LS3 SSV is the the car to have no doubt about it.

That said took a VF1 GTS for a test drive last week. Recommend everyone does, something not worth missing out on. I recommend a manual and going WOT in 3rd.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #16
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not me my first car was an XY v8 wagoooon , my fathers , but I had to fix it to have it as he had drivin it into the ground apart from some minor body and mechs it had a fair few burnt valves
my first only holden was a HR and also a wagoooon and a 186 was also from my father , as I had got a first car from the folks they extended this to my brother , who promptly turned his nose up at it
the falcon was neither running nor licenced when I got it the holden as shabby as it was , was both licenced and running
and seeing they had purchased it already for him and he didn't want it (lost his chance) and I had recently been t boned in the falcon by some one making an illegal u turn I took it did some fixing any ways and drove it for a few months before turning it in to a 77 v8 F250
good days

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #17
HIPO
Al

Yep, they made some good stuff over the years...... my 1st car was an HK Monaro...... only a 307 with powerglide.
Paid $1800 for it........ i called it Tony.
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #18
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Yep, they made some good stuff over the years...... my 1st car was an HK Monaro...... only a 307 with powerglide.
Paid $1800 for it........ i called it Tony.
Sweet, my first ride was a '70 HT Brougham with a 308 and powerglide followed by a '72 HQ GTS Monaro Coupe (wish I still had it now, paid $4750 for it and sold it to a work mate for $3500)
Old 20-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

My only Holden was a 1965 HD sedan and it was a dangerous horrible thing but it got me through Uni. But I'll miss the rivalry and wish all the ex-employees the best.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #20
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I learnt to drive in a 1985 VK Berlina sedan with the carburetor 3.3 six cylinder engine and 'traumatic' three speed auto. The drivetrain in the POS would shudder under heavy acceleration. But how do I feel today?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #21
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I'm very saddened we have lost our cars and for the workers but I have NO connection for the Holden company and not care one bit......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #22
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drove fc's on the farm as a kid. Dad had a crazy bright red hg?? With the 350.
Valiant was my first legal road car. Then I bought the Cobra and it was falcon forever.
Until the noughties and I loved the vz monaro kept that for 4 years and bought an hsv clubsport with ls3 it was so bad my playing with Holden was done.

Then I got a Miami, but alas it's the last one.

Imo the vz Monaro was the best car to come out of Holden, hands down.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #23
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only owned two Holdens. The VL I had for about 9 years and the VZ SS I’ve owned for the last 5.

Just like when Ford shut up shop last year it’s a sad time for the industry that local production of Holden and Ford ceases to exist.

Many great cars have rolled off both production lines over so many years. It’s a strange feeling to know that’s no more.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
Think you will find a lot of people did own and drove both brands as I certainly owned a good mix of Holden & Fords over 42 years of driving.
I came from a big family and remember fondly of good selection of Fords and Holdens parked at my mom's house....lol

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #25
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I'm very saddened we have lost our cars and for the workers but I have NO connection for the Holden company and not care one bit......
Its HOLDEN that drove FORD ( and vice versa ) to push the envelope on local manufacturing and create the cars we all love. The connection is in the FORD DNA whether we like it or not. Every FALCON that was raced was manufactured to beat a HOLDEN. Every FORD on the showroom floor was manufactured to outsell a HOLDEN. ( and vice versa )

We grew up loving FORDS because we learnt to hate HOLDENS. We gathered at ( or watched on telly ) the Holy Mountain to watch FORDS battle with HOLDENS as we dreamed that the car in the garage was the one on the track.

Every time a new model FALCON and COMMODORE was released - we gathered on forums or at BBQ's and at car shows and round the dinner table arguing about which was better with a passion and dedication that we will likely never ever see in this country again. We had family members and friends and acquaintances that worked at HOLDEN in VIC and SA......

I say we have all the connections in the world to the old enemy. I personally think its just as sad a day as when FORD closed its doors at Broady and Geelong. RIP Australian culture..........

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin

Last edited by Whitey-AMG; 20-10-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #26
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Love the HRs mate. I prefer Fords to Holdens but I think the HR is my favourite Australian car of all time.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Few Holdens/HSV's id love to own thats for sure. Sad to see them go.
One car i learnt to drive in my parents had was a VB commodore station wagon. Decided in wanted a commodore. Went to buy one and bought the falcon across the road.
Would own/10
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #28
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Its HOLDEN that drove FORD ( and vice versa ) to push the envelope on local manufacturing and create the cars we all love. The connection is in the FORD DNA whether we like it or not. Every FALCON that was raced was manufactured to beat a HOLDEN. Every FORD on the showroom floor was manufactured to outsell a HOLDEN. ( and vice versa )

We grew up loving FORDS because we learnt to hate HOLDENS. We gathered at ( or watched on telly ) the Holy Mountain to watch FORDS battle with HOLDENS as we dreamed that the car in the garage was the one on the track.

Every time a new model FALCON and COMMODORE was released - we gathered on forums or at BBQ's and at car shows and round the dinner table arguing about which was better with a passion and dedication that we will likely never ever see in this country again. We had family members and friends and acquaintances that worked at HOLDEN in VIC and SA......

I say we have all the connections in the world to the old enemy. I personally think its just as sad a day as when FORD closed its doors at Broady and Geelong. RIP Australian culture..........
Yep, I get it and true but their admin have been sob's etc (so have ours), as said feel for the the workers but still not care of the brand, shrugs shoulders, all good mate.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #29
Bobman
Regulator

Having driven every model Commodore (VB to VF2) and many Kingswoods too, it's very sad. The VF2 was actually a decent car to drive.

This impact on Australia will be felt for many years to come after the loss of our car industry.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #30
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a lot of empathy for the Holden workers. I too am going through a very drawn out forced redundancy process at work. Sometimes I wonder if it is better with less notice, as it is over and done with quicker, but I digress.

At present, I am touring around NSW in a MY15 Calais V wagon (alas, it is the V6 and not the V8). Not my first choice of car (a Territory would be a nicer tourer IMHO). But, it does hit home the magnificent engineering and manufacturing capacity we once had (past tense) in Australia. Even with a heavy right foot, the fuel consumption is in the low 7l/100km. Overtaking is a breeze, and the Commodore just eats up the road km.

I do genuinely feel for the Holden fans. But, just as once upon a time Australia use to manufacture world class TV and radios, and no one remembers … the harsh reality is that the Commodore and Falcon will rapidly fade from memory for most of the population.

Thank you Holden workers for your efforts and commitments. Hold your head high. You have given a lot of people a lot of pleasure over the years.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: