Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
kev365428
Noobie

Default LW Mkii issues

Back in August 2013 we purchased a 2012 Sport Mkii LW (auto) with about 12500k on the clock from a Ford dealer. It was an ex-managers car so we were confident that all servicing etc would have been carried out as per plan, and I still have no reason to doubt that.

At the time it seemed like a good car and went well for a year or so.

At one of the regular service intervals (I think it was the 45,000km one, and yes, we do plenty of km per year), we were informed of an oil leak from the main line bearing into the tranny case (I think, but I'm struggling to remember to be honest). this was fixed under warranty. The next service it was back and we were told about the clutch plate issue, but there was a back-log of customers waiting to have the plates replaced, so it would be a while until our number came up.
To be honest, I didn't notice any issues until it was brought to my attention.
Then, prior to the clutch plates being repaired, it all started to go wrong. The transmission would jump radically from one gear to another (i.e. - 1st to third or fourth, then downshift to second or third very early on deceleration). Stop the car, turn it off, wait 10 seconds, re-start and no issue until it decided to do it again.
Repeated phone calls and visits to Ford failed to resolve anything. It was almost like the rattle that fails to happen when someone else is in the car. Every time we'd drop it off, no issues were found.
Finally the transmission warning light came on and Ford advised us to get it towed to the nearest dealer.
They had the car for a few days and replaced a loom on/in the transmission.
All went well for a week or so until it did it again. I told my wife to drive straight to Ford without turning the engine off and insist that someone test drive the car right then.
End result was the guy who drove it was shocked that we were still driving it (well der!!!).
Can't remember what the end result was, but they eventually fixed it, and then some months later the clutch plates got replaced after I kicked up a stink about the delays.

It went back in for another regular service and on the test drive they heard some strange sounds coming from the rear of the car.
turns out the fuel tank vent line was blocked and the tank had collapsed in on itself from the vacuum.

One new fuel tank later and we had the car back.

Three weeks go by and I'm filling it with fuel when I hear dripping. Yep, about 3 litres of fuel on the ground and still going just as the tank hit full.
Pushed the car away from the pumps and by this stage the dripping had almost stopped. My initial thoughts were that I had just let the pump "click" too many times to get that last 100ml of fuel in the tank (c'mon guys - we all do it), and it had run out of an overflow or something. Told wifey to only go to the first click from then on. But, when she next filled it the same thing happened.

Back to Ford and was told "The seal on the sender unit was distorted and thus leaking. Should be ready by tomorrow afternoon". 5 days later they call back and say the car is ready.
Seems as though the tank was still collapsing from a vacuum issue. Filler spout replaced, vent line, new gaskets etc until they narrowed it down to the charcoal canister.

Got the car back last Friday. Sunday night the engine check light comes on. Drop it into Ford on Monday. Faults cleared and on the test drive, the traction control fault and something else ligths up for 20 seconds, then goes out, the re-lights.
Loan car supplied and get a call next day that all is fixed. Was told they did a full reset of everything. I'm a bit skeptical but drive off anyhow.
Next day engine light is back on.

Ford now have the car once again.

Did I buy a lemon or what?
Do their credit, we have been given a loan car every time, even when they insist there are none available.

Anyone want to buy a second hand Focus?

Kev.
kev365428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 03:07 AM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: LW Mkii issues

Sounds to me like you have a TCM issue? Seems you have had a rough trot but alot seems to be poor workmanship or diagnosis on the dealers part. If they had diagnosed the sucking of the tank properly and more than likely nicked the seal when they replaced the tank, you would have only required to go to dealer once for that problem instead of multiple times.

So part blame on dealer rather than the car itself...

Realistically sounds like you have had only 3 real problems but multiple visits to have each rectified!
GTLEGEND is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hear what you say, but the brand suffers unless the build quality and the service back up are both good. if one fails then the brand suffers significant reputation damage as it should.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
kev365428
Noobie

Well, it seems that the latest issue was due to a dodgy O2 sensor in the exhaust.

Had the back for a day now and no issues as yet, but I guess we'll just wait and see.

Kev.
Old 29-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
kev365428
Noobie

And the story continues........

Dropped the car in for it's regular service.
TCM is reset and service is carried out. We asked for a new lumber adjust handle to be installed as the old one was broken, but this had to be ordered in.

Wife then drive the car for a week and starte complaining about the transmission again.
Ford rings to tell me the new part has arrived. Drop the car in to get the new part installed, tell them about the issues with the gearshifting again, and the fact that the cruise control only works intermittently.
Get a call from Ford - new part installed, new cruise control switch installed......and the clutch plates need replacing, again.

Bottom line is I'm now in discussions with Ford Customer Care regarding the reliability of this vehicle. My concern is that they will stop honouring the warranty and I'll be stuck with a mounting repair bill.

Kev.
Old 29-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Victor1

Kev,you being the second owner could possibly hinder your success dealing with ford customer care.but good luck as I found them very helpful.
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
kev365428
Noobie

Hoping that you're wrong Victor.

Kev.
Old 30-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
Victor1

Hey I might be!
Have you seen the telegraph today?
A full page dedicated to our cars issues
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #9
kev365428
Noobie

Yep.
Interesting stuff about the NDA's for those who accept a payment from Ford.

Kev.