Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Behemoth
Starter Motor

Default How to avoid salespeople games and nonsense when buying a new car

So I'm looking to buy a used Territory and found one in a local dealership (not Ford).
I've test driven and listened to the salesman bluff his way through things about the car from the passenger seat.
Now, how do I cut to the chase and put an offer in?
I've had enough with their stupid little sales people games and being treated like an idiot. Examples.

No prices on the cars and I had to sit down with the fool for 20 minutes while he listed all the "benefits of buying from a dealer" on paper for me, in alternating colours of pen then highlighting them.
I then asked how much the car is and he "went to talk to his boss" for 10 minutes. He only came back when I pretended to be on the phone and started walking out the door.

He came back with "Around high 20's". I asked specifically what price and he said "28/29ish". I offered 22.

He goes off to "have a chat with the boss" and they're sitting there for 10 minutes so I walked out. This was Thursday last week.

Car is still there so I went inside found the salesman again and said "here is my number, I'll pay $22k for the car, call me if that's acceptable. I don't have time to sit down and discuss".

He said "come back in your lunch hour and we will sit and see where we can get to" which translates to me as "come back and we will waste your time and treat you like an idiot and make you sign something in desperation on the spot after boring you stupid for hours".

Now I just want to know how I can get away with paying as close to my price as possible without going through all the stupid mind-games and "making a list of the things I like about the car" in coloured pencils.

I'm tempted to just buy one at fixed price auction and avoid all the BS but I can't find one that isn't white!

Why do they have to make a simple things sooooo difficult. Do they not know people have the internet and can do their own price research? Argh!!!
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How to avoid salespeople games and nonsense when buying a new car

Why not just ring and deal with the Sales Manager?

Ditch the deadwood in the middle.
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
snowcone

I haven't bought a car of a dealer for ages but my last 3 attempts went the exact same way.
They wasted all my afternoon with their little mind games "and talking to the manager"
What a bunch of ******* they all are.
Never again will I let them pull those stunts.
Sounds like you are on the ball so make them do it your way or keep walking until they do.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Behemoth
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@Rockdale View Post
Why not just ring and deal with the Sales Manager?

Ditch the deadwood in the middle.
The sales manager who doesn't have the courtesy to leave his office and speak to customers? Who keeps them waiting for 15 minutes as part of the game? He seems great. I presume he would have the final say on the deal though eh?

Are you allowed to arrange an inspection of a vehicle on a car yard? Just a local transmission guy not a full on RACQ? I know they offer their "warranty" but in my experience these are worth as much as the paper floor protectors they put in the cars.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Sounds awfully like you were at Australian Fleet Sales. Biggest rip off merchants out there.

In your situation, I find it's best to play dealers against each other. Find another you like and go to the yard with the car you like most and then start the negotiations again. Let them know that you are now talking to another yard with another car. Put a timeline on your visit and stick to your guns.

I was so wild with one car yard one day about 10 years ago I played their game directly in their faces after "yes we can", " oh wait, I'm not sure" repeat... During negotiations I picked up my mobile and called (in one of their "I'll talk to the managaer") the other yard and negotiated with both at once. The phone guy won... and also won the fleet deal for the entire state for the next 5 years. The place I was in, was left standing there with the salesman, assistant manager and manager looking rather dull and glum. No sympathy at all!

Unless that car is one in a million, find others. Dealers are there to extract the most $ from your pocket as possible. That's it. If that's how they treat them, treat them as such. If they wont come to the party, take the party elsewhere.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Sounds like you've already made the call to walk (which is what I think you should do). Make sure you have their business cards and find another vehicle.

I had an idiot salesman argue over $500 and a set of car mats, he (and his dealership) lost a $110,000 sale. I went down the road and did the deal, I then sent the idiots a mms photo of me taking delivery of the new car
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I presume he would have the final say on the deal though eh?
Correct.

If it's the exact car you want, it's worth a 5 minute phone call to try.
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And why does it always take 10-20 minutes to get the answer anyway? One time a long time ago I went to pick up some papers for a car I was purchasing and the guy at the desk went back to the office to get the other guy I had been dealing with and it took about 15 minutes. Was he on the toilet taking a ****? When the second guy finally came out to see me, he then went back to get the papers and it took another 15 minutes. It's like it's hard-coded into their car salesman DNA or something!
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

Car is still there so I went inside found the salesman again and said "here is my number, I'll pay $22k for the car, call me if that's acceptable. I don't have time to sit down and discuss".
Basically what you did there is how I have bought my last two cars, test drive, give them a once only offer and leave my business card for them to call me when they can make it work. I put in a fair offer, no low balling, and it worked both times, I also leave it till the last week of the month when they have to make their quota.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then there's the attractive seductress with the cleavage and the bit of leg they send you in to get conned into paint protection etc!

The more mature and experienced salesmen are usually better to deal with. Some of the young ones are pretty crude. Our best experiences at a Ford dealer include the young salesman who sold us a $40k Territory and then gave it to us with a quarter of a tank. I made him stand at the bowser and it kept clicking off as he kept on asking is that enough then?

Our local country dealer is pretty good but one young rather overbearing salesman insisted on coming with us on every test drive as though we were 16 year olds about to do a runner with the car. One day he was very flustered and said he had something urgent and couldn't come with us and my wife and I did a mental high five. We got in the $20k car and started it up and next thing he comes running over and says great news guys I can come with you after all! We're like

The all time best experience was the BMW dealer in Wollongong. He was very cool and laid back, no pressure, let us decide. We were given a quarter million dollars of metal (two X3s and an X5) to take for long test drives by ourselves. Then he threw in a few thou of freebies. And no sheila with paint protection (BMWs don't need it!) What a nice experience after all those years of dealing with some real chumps. Even though after all these years I can call the chumps at their game. All good blood sport basically!

Last edited by new2ford; 02-11-2015 at 06:23 PM.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzFmeNEiEPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb0Mgx277g0
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #12
esppwr

If that car is exactly what you want, then turn up with the exact amount you want to pay for it in cash.
Walk in tell them you want that car, walk into the office & put the cash on the table.
Don't say how much cash is in the pile. Make them count it, if they want more money tell them to give you your cash back and your going to the next stealership

The look on there face is priceless when they see the pile of notes.
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a fan of dealerships. Multiple times I have been having an initial look at a car I tell them I think it is 'ok' and straight away they start with the whole 'come in to my office and we will sort out the paperwork" line.
The best thing about **** salespeople is I have no trouble negotiating with them because I hate them. Good salespeople I feel bad when I start offering low prices.

I know car salespeople will say "well we have to put up with people trying to screw us all day"
Well maybe so, but it's your job. You are supposed to be a professional, it's no excuse for acting like a sleazebag to everyone who comes in.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #14
STINKY NINJA
Banned

For a start, why would you even look at a car without knowing the price first?
Just the fact that the cars had no prices would have me walking away.
Ive dealt with a lot of car salesmen and they have all been timewasting tossers,and if you think buying from a dealership or caryard is safer,you are wrong,try getting warranty out of them on a secondhand car when stuff goes wrong!
Go somewhere else,or buy privately.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I trust salesmen as much as I trust politicians. They all spin you the same verbal diarrhea promises, make you sign with them and then bluff their way out when theres an issue. I know not all salesmen are bad, but for the 1 good one there is, there is another 100 out there that treat you like an idiot. It's insulting.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #16
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Make an offer and leave your number and walk away they will either ring you or you keep looking no need for any games. I use the same approach for buying houses when they start with this we have another offer BS just tell them to sell it to them and see how long before the mystery buyer either can't get finance or changes their mind etc... Car dealers are the same they all talk a good game but talk don't pay the bills ask any DP if someone has cash and wants to buy do the deal (within reason of course) your not getting a new GT for 5 bob.
The secret is to not get attached to anything until its yours if you get all excited and really want it and convey this to the salesman they will try and make more out of you. Look at any purchase like a business decision with no emotion and purely take it or leave it attitude and the salesman has no where to go.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
Make an offer and leave your number and walk away they will either ring you or you keep looking no need for any games. I use the same approach for buying houses when they start with this we have another offer BS just tell them to sell it to them and see how long before the mystery buyer either can't get finance or changes their mind etc... Car dealers are the same they all talk a good game but talk don't pay the bills ask any DP if someone has cash and wants to buy do the deal (within reason of course) your not getting a new GT for 5 bob.
The secret is to not get attached to anything until its yours if you get all excited and really want it and convey this to the salesman they will try and make more out of you. Look at any purchase like a business decision with no emotion and purely take it or leave it attitude and the salesman has no where to go.
Spot on. I highlighted the key area. 'No emotion'. Car salesmen thrive on your reaction to a vehicle. How 'emotionally invested' you have become to it. As soon as they see this, they have you like putty in their hands and will play on it. It is up to YOU as the consumer to get your emotions under control and be strong enough to walk away when the need arrives. It's hard for us enthusiasts to do this. But its a necessary skill you need to learn if you are to negotiate a good deal amicably.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #18
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

I agree with blue oval, a car is a car, more often than not if you miss one there is another one waiting to be sold, the more sensible or common the easier to find ( within 5 years from new that is )
3 of my last 4 have been from dealers and I've walked away with the car each time at the price I was happy to pay. That's the key is knowing what the cars generally sell for for ks and condition then work from there.

I've managed to get between 7 to 15 grand off ticket prices for each car but I'm smart enough to know that the dealer is still making something on the car.

Just do your research, check other dealers and know what they have n be firm on your price and don't be scared to walk away and if you have to tell em where you can buy another one from, it's a buyers market ATM.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #19
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last 2 cars I have bought, after 2 "visits" to the "Manager", I have walked right in and spoken to them directly, deal done within 5 minutes.
All the games are par for the course unfortunately.
The only thing I find is you have to be upfront and tell them you are willing and able to sign RIGHT THEN AND THERE if the deal is right, I keep my credit card on the table so they can see im serious.
I just bought a new Hyundai for my stubborn mum who kept telling the dealers that she wont sign right now and wanted to go and think about it, that was a big sign to the sales manager that we were just wasting his time.
One dealer sales mgr was really nice but couldn't get to where we needed to be so we politely thanked him for his time and walked out, he chased us out the door with an offer in the doorway which was bang on what we wanted. We did a handshake right in the middle of the doors and bought a car.
Bottom line, tell em your serious, tell em upfront all your required options (so you can negotiate the discount off those too) and don't get invested, theres plenty of other cars out there.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Spot on. I highlighted the key area. 'No emotion'. Car salesmen thrive on your reaction to a vehicle. How 'emotionally invested' you have become to it. As soon as they see this, they have you like putty in their hands and will play on it. It is up to YOU as the consumer to get your emotions under control and be strong enough to walk away when the need arrives. It's hard for us enthusiasts to do this. But its a necessary skill you need to learn if you are to negotiate a good deal amicably.
Spot on. I told one Honda dealer a few months back that buying a car is like buying a fridge to me.

For a laugh, dig out the Movie Suckers -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199054/

Pretty much sums up the what we've all experienced one time or another
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #21
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
For a start, why would you even look at a car without knowing the price first?
Just the fact that the cars had no prices would have me walking away....
Ditto. I would not waste my time in a yard that does not have the prices listed on the car, as well as the sale/statutory warranty sheet on the dash.

Tell them to shove the "high twenties Territory" and look somewhere else.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #22
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Most recent new car I bought (2014) was extremely quick and hassle free for both myself and the dealer. I knew exactly what I wanted and I knew what they could sell it for- and that's super important. I'd also made anonymous calls during the week to determine what each dealership had in stock and the build dates of each. So when I went down to my local dealer I asked for the sales manager and told him exactly what I wanted, how much I'd pay for it, that I knew he had it in stock and that if he wanted to negotiate the price up I'd drive to the next dealer and make the same offer because it wasn't unreasonable. We confirmed the build date of the car and he agreed to the price, from start to end about a 3 minute process and to date I have not seen anyone claim a better deal than I got on a brand newy.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good value right here

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/20...SE-AD-3628210?

snap it up
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #24
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Then there's the attractive seductress with the cleavage and the bit of leg they send you in to get conned into paint protection etc!

The more mature and experienced salesmen are usually better to deal with. Some of the young ones are pretty crude. Our best experiences at a Ford dealer include the young salesman who sold us a $40k Territory and then gave it to us with a quarter of a tank. I made him stand at the bowser and it kept clicking off as he kept on asking is that enough then?

Our local country dealer is pretty good but one young rather overbearing salesman insisted on coming with us on every test drive as though we were 16 year olds about to do a runner with the car. One day he was very flustered and said he had something urgent and couldn't come with us and my wife and I did a mental high five. We got in the $20k car and started it up and next thing he comes running over and says great news guys I can come with you after all! We're like

The all time best experience was the BMW dealer in Wollongong. He was very cool and laid back, no pressure, let us decide. We were given a quarter million dollars of metal (two X3s and an X5) to take for long test drives by ourselves. Then he threw in a few thou of freebies. And no sheila with paint protection (BMWs don't need it!) What a nice experience after all those years of dealing with some real chumps. Even though after all these years I can call the chumps at their game. All good blood sport basically!
I love the Ming moles (you kiddies google "Ming" and ignore the references to Flash Gordon) and their reactions when I make observations based on how much they reveal with their body language. I have some stories about my adventures with a few of the paint protection girls I've encountered, but they aren't exactly safe for such a family friendly forum
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #25
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Sometimes it does pay to at least give salespersons in these roles the courtesy of at least hearing them out and asking a few questions, don’t you think?
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #26
tonys6550

I am in the market to upgrade my car at the moment and I am feeling your anguish my friend.
I have gone into a few dealerships to look at some cars that I'm interested in and it's the same old spiel everywhere you go,"come in, sit down", "I'll just speak to the boss", "back in a minute" Before you realise it you've lost 20 minutes of your life and that's just to get the for sale price, and you haven't even started to negotiate yet
I went into one particular dealership and started chatting to a nice young salesman but he was arrogant and cocky as hell. He invited me into the dragons lair (the uncomfortable kiddies chair and table on the showroom floor, between the Ranger XLT and the new Mondeo) and after asking him what was the best price he could do on a brand new G6E Turbo, he preceded to go to the Ford website and quote me the RRP straight from their website right in front of me. I looked at him with an incredulous look and hesitantly asked him, is that the best price that you could do? To which he replied, yes, that's what Ford have it advertised as
Needless to say that the last Ford dealership that I just came from offered me the same vehicle for.........ehh, slightly better than Fords drive away RRP haha.
Anyway, I politely thanked the young thug for his time but secretively wanted to slap him up the side of the head to see if his reaction was human like, but I refrained and relayed to him that I had important matters to attend to and must hurry off.
Any way, my pursuit of finding a replacement vehicle at a reasonable price continues. My only advice to you would be, as others have mentioned already is, eliminate all emotional attachment to what you are interested in purchasing and you will be in good standing to negotiate the best possible deal for you.
Good luck.
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #27
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8VYNFzmJIQ
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #28
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car sales people use the idiot tactics, once you argue with them once its useless and the conversation only becomes more retarded and frustrating, kinda like verbal cancer.

Just walk away, these twits prey on you if you turn back,
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #29
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Sometimes it does pay to at least give salespersons in these roles the courtesy of at least hearing them out and asking a few questions, don’t you think?
I stay with the ming mole long enough to get an eyeful and short enough for my wife sitting beside me not to notice that I'm taking an eyeful. I reckon that's pretty courteous to all parties.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #30
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Isnt this the OP's car. Either way love to see it sell at that price with that 'awesome' interior