Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Ford to expand RS range?

Quote:

With the Focus RS release yesterday, and persistent rumors of a Fiesta RS floating around, it's safe to say that the air has been saturated with RS-speculation and interest. Which is why I wasn't too surprised to receive a leaked slide of Ford's upcoming RS plans. But I was very surprised at what I saw.

This morning, a courier knocked on my door with a package. It was special diatetic liverwurst that I, apparently, agreed to review. I didn't recall agreeing to this, but I agree to almost anything people ask me, so it was possible. When I opened the wax-paper package to try and spread the liverwurst on a 3x5 card (I'm out of bread) I found a lump. That lump was a USB drive with the Ford logo on it.

I plugged the USB drive into my computer, and found two files: a JPG and a text file. I opened the JPG and found a slide, which the text file said was from a much larger PowerPoint presentation from Ford's RS team. The file also told me there are more cars (they hinted at the Fiesta RS, but wouldn't confirm), but the anonymous sender felt this slide showed best the incredible work the RS team is doing. And I can't help but agree. Here's the slide:1

Wow, right? It looks like the RS guys have really figured out the formula. What's impressive here is the range of vehicles they're giving the RS treatment to — the C-Max Energi Plug-in RS will be the first plug-in RS car ever, and, as I was told in the text file, the car is designed to "yank that plug right out of the goddamn wall."

The E-Series Cutaway is also a very interesting RS car. It seems it was originally picked due to the Cutaway's inherent low weight, but it's also being produced with an eye to a new line of RS-spec motorhomes, with both full living conditions and track-ready gear. I think that means there's a full-camper-box roll cage and a seat belt for the toilet.2122

The Transit RS will be available in high-roof spec as well, and Ford is planning, we're told, an exhibition race series of Transit RS church buses and airport shuttles to build interest. The Lincoln MKZ is a smart move as well, injecting some excitement into a brand that could really use it.

There's no specs just yet, but I think we can assume high-output turbocharged engines are expected, with a bump of at least 100HP from the models stock forms. Uprated brakes, suspension, and other equipment is pretty much a given as well.

This is all very exciting. More manufacturers could learn a thing or two from these leaked documents that I probably didn't just make up and crudely Photoshop. I hope no one gets in trouble for this leak, because, Ford, listen — there is only positive press to be gotten from this.
http://jalopnik.com/exclusive-leaked...s-m-1683765247

Surely they jest? I am ok with some expansion of the range but what they have in mind is a little silly.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford to expand RS range?

Yeah I couldnt imagine any of them really happening, although NISMO seem happy to have a crack at almost anything.

The Fiesta makes sense, so does the MKZ but I wouldnt use the RS name as such but Lincolns certainly could do with some more agro.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

C Max, Transit and E series could do the same job with ST badges and upset a lot less people at the same time. So I'll be very surprised to see anything like them.

A Ford badge on a Lincoln doesn't seem Luke the best decision also
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Fiesta RS i can stomach but the rest i cant and i doubt the rest would happen anyway. I do think that maybe a Mondeo might see an ST badge.

When you look at the Ford performance ladder. The RS badge sits in the middle with a high performance tag, i cant see any of the cars in that pic getting anywhere near it. Except for the Fiesta RS which isnt there.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Ha! Clearly a joke. The only RS I could see being added is Fiesta.

Maybe they'll do a Fusion/Mondeo ST.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Transit RS makes sense. It has a reputation as the driver's van and they could hold the world record for the Nordschleife. Twin Turbo Ecoboost from the 2016 Raptor, 6 speed manual and race-tuned suspension. The new Transit Sportvan is the only vehicle to get a 10/10 on Fifth Gear.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't RS stand for Rally Sport? I thought it was saved for cars that are or could be used to Rally competitively. Lots of companies seem to be doing this now days, throwing their prestige badges on anything for a quicker sale.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

**** yeah RS Transit, I'd have one lol.

Also the E series has been replaced by the Transit I believe so I don't think thats correct.

Ah well if only, RS Transit FTW.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Mondeo had an ST badge for years in the UK. I had a mkII ST200 and a mkIII STtdci. The ST24 even made it here didn't it? so a new ST mondeo is pretty reasonable, but even with BTTC there has never been an RS Mondeo so I'd say it's unlikely we'll ever see one now

this is the transit to have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg6WdboK1nY
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds bogus to me.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
Mondeo had an ST badge for years in the UK. I had a mkII ST200 and a mkIII STtdci. The ST24 even made it here didn't it? so a new ST mondeo is pretty reasonable, but even with BTTC there has never been an RS Mondeo so I'd say it's unlikely we'll ever see one now

this is the transit to have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg6WdboK1nY
Yes ST24 was sold here, poorly mind you, good car though.

I have driven a ST220 and its a mint little car. A Mondeo Wagon ST would be a nice car to have on our shores...not fussed on a RS version of it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post