Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
RozRox

Default Hybrid pathfinder

Gday, i am helping my friend looking at new 7 seat cars and so far he has struck a good price for a 2014 Nissan hybrid pathfinder. I have had alook at this car during test drive and was quite impressed with 2.5l supercharged engine along with the electric motor. Any inputs on how this car is? I have read several threads pointing out both pros and cons of the normal petrol pathfinder. Any info is much appreciated.Thanks for ur inputs.
Regards
RozRox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 
Default Re: Hybrid pathfinder

All I know has come from road tests. They seem to be a reasonable car but other models score higher.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/281247/f...uv-comparison/
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #3
RozRox

Thanks mate i did read that review along with heaps of other reviews online. Personally the only thing i thought about was of the car having a completely new engine set up unlike the 6pot which is a known unit......
Old 05-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
All I know has come from road tests. They seem to be a reasonable car but other models score higher.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/281247/f...uv-comparison/
Note how the Territory rates for ride and handling. If you actually enjoy driving .... which I do, but apparently many don't care. Among all the SUVs on the market, only BMW matches it. We'll be losing something very special in the affordable price range in 2016.

Car Advice does good reviews, but like all other reviews they don't cover internal space. Many of these vehicles are large on the outside but small/narrow on the inside. Go to the websites and look at the internal measurements in the specs - except Toyota Australia which doesn't give measurements (because they have something to hide). For that, you have to go to their USA site and convert from inches. Also go and actually sit in the cars. If you have little kids, Territory would be the only one that'll fit a baby capsule and two child seats across the second row seat.

Car Advice does have a neat idea in showing a person sitting in the back seat. However this is rather nullified by not indicating what position the front seat is in. This photo should be done with the front seat right back.

Finally, none of these station wagons (that's what they are) have provisions for safe cargo-carrying outside the cargo cover. (That is, provision for securing the load in an accident.) You need to close the cargo cover and then look at the effective boot space. Some of them are very poor. Same issue as the passenger space - big on the outside, small on the inside. Also I wonder how some of those cargo blinds would hold heavy items in a bad accident (like a rollover). The one in the Jeep looks particularly weak.

Last edited by new2ford; 05-02-2015 at 08:00 AM.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
b2428

I have looked into both. And I found the pathfinder to be a more inviting and more comfortable beast. No its not as chuck able as a territory but it's a relaxed car to drive. The pathfinder has a serious amount of space and this can be seen with still having reasonable space behind the 3rd row seats.

Only thing I am weighing up at the moment is the fact they have had quite issues and replacement of the cvt's both here and in the states. Mind you I'm talking the v6. But heard a few with the 2.5 too

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
RozRox

Thanks new2ford and b2428. We (family/friends) have all had both the old and new generation klugers cx9s carnivals sorrentos and santa fes. Ive got the sz territory and henceforth we have cars to compare against each other. The only one none of us have owned or heard from some one who owns is the pathfinder. Ive personally gone and seen the new model in flesh and have driven it around in various scenarios . Both the 6 and the 2.5l hybrid were impressive and most importantly the deal offered to my mate (who is buying) was very good compared to all other cars and dealers (thanks to an employee family discount). We have done several readings on the Internet and watched several videos on youtube. Then i thought i would probably ask the forum members of their inputs....
Old 05-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of interest how do YOU find the comparison between those cars you just listed compared to what the reviews and statistics say?
Old 05-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I Like the look of them, they looked well priced, it has Adult suitable 3rd row. not many SUV's have this
I've sat in one but haven't driven one.
ive seen one boot it off at the lights and it seems to go alright

but One thing concerns me, the CVT. I haven't driven one but it sounds Terrible for someone who likes the feel of a car.

for those wanting more features there's supposed to be an Infinity version but it doesn't look to be on sale here yet
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #9
RozRox

Personally i prefer the territory or even better i dont mind waiting for the new everest. But as mentioned it is not for me but for a mate who ia deciding between these....
Old 07-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
RozRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I Like the look of them, they looked well priced, it has Adult suitable 3rd row. not many SUV's have this
I've sat in one but haven't driven one.
ive seen one boot it off at the lights and it seems to go alright

but One thing concerns me, the CVT. I haven't driven one but it sounds Terrible for someone who likes the feel of a car.

for those wanting more features there's supposed to be an Infinity version but it doesn't look to be on sale here yet

When i drove the car it was actually alright. Not as smooth as a zf but i didnt mind that. The pick up and drive was also pretty impressive. And as u mentioned there is an infinity version available as well.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not as smooth as a ZF, are you sure?
I would have thought nothing could be smoother than a CVT, as there are no gear changes.
Personally Id like to feel the car change Gear, that's why I probably wont like the CVT
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe this article and the comments will help re CVT:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...nsmission.html
Old 12-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
RozRox

Quote:
Not as smooth as a ZF, are you sure?
I would have thought nothing could be smoother than a CVT, as there are no gear changes.
Personally Id like to feel the car change Gear, that's why I probably wont like the CVT
Sorry should have been a bit more clearer- i meant that i am comfortable driving my sz mk1 with the zf as a daily....
Old 26-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I drove a new Pathfinder STL V6 AWD yesterday.

And was very impressed comfy seats (heated even), heaps of space, sat firm and flat on the road, but also good over bumps.
My first experience of the CVT and its much better than I thought.
driving normally you wouldn't know much difference except of course there is no gear change its as smooth as smooth can be. it will move along at 60kph on 1000 rpm

When you press the loud pedal its very different, the engine revs up and you move away quickly and smoothly. kind of like doing a skid, without doing a skid if you know what I mean.
I don't mind it, so its on my list as a next car.

re Hybrid, the dealers recon its not worth the extra money for 1L/100 less
Old 27-02-2015, 04:28 AM   #15
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they are decent cars, but the question I have to ask is: Why would you, when you can get an Everest diesel soon? That's what I would get!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ones a SUV/CAR ones a 4WD/SUV

Everest Diesel would be a likely replacement to our Prado
Old 28-02-2015, 03:08 AM   #17
RozRox

re Hybrid, the dealers recon its not worth the extra money for 1L/100 less[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly some of the dealers said when we had a look as well. The only positive thing though is for city stop and go traffic the hybrid is pretty economical. When i test drove both performance wise both were similar apart from the electric motor kicking in during stop n fo traffic
Old 28-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #18
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ones a SUV/CAR ones a 4WD/SUV

Everest Diesel would be a likely replacement to our Prado
I get the differences, but I am assuming the price can't be too different, and I think the Everest would be a much more exciting car to own. Would the Pathfinder do anything substantially better than the Everest enough to overlook the obvious advantages of the Everest? I doubt it. With its rigid frame and RWD, it might even handle better! I guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 28-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #19
David222
Starting out with the V8

I like the new pathfinder, for us it ticks all the boxes except full size spare.

Wife loves it, and after a test drive I was sold on a Ti.

Then I googled Pathfinder CVT Shudder. Now I am getting an idea why Nissan Australia is 2 months into 2015 and still trying to move 2013 build pathfinders, even at a significant discount.

I don’t want the stress some of these people on pathfinder forums have been through with endless Transmission and torque converter replacements. It might be different if it appeared there was a definitive fix for the issue but from the online forums there doesn’t appear to be one.

Reliability of the motor vehicle has improved over time, but can’t be taken for granted it seems. So for the moment I am waiting to start seeing reports of people having the CVT shudder issue resolved quickly and professionally.
His: 2015 FGX XR8 Kinetic
David222 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
I get the differences, but I am assuming the price can't be too different, and I think the Everest would be a much more exciting car to own. Would the Pathfinder do anything substantially better than the Everest enough to overlook the obvious advantages of the Everest? I doubt it. With its rigid frame and RWD, it might even handle better! I guess we will have to wait and see.
We will have to wait and see,
But I'm 99% certain Everest will be more expensive. and will not have car like handling.
PS I'm still not sold on the Pathfinder atm the outgoing territory is the better Buy
Old 02-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #21
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozRox View Post
re Hybrid, the dealers recon its not worth the extra money for 1L/100 less
Thats exactly some of the dealers said when we had a look as well. The only positive thing though is for city stop and go traffic the hybrid is pretty economical. When i test drove both performance wise both were similar apart from the electric motor kicking in during stop n fo traffic[/QUOTE]

I wanted to drive a hybrid, but the didn't even have one on the lot!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #22
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We will have to wait and see,
But I'm 99% certain Everest will be more expensive. and will not have car like handling.
PS I'm still not sold on the Pathfinder atm the outgoing territory is the better Buy
I think the Pathfinder's unibody will flex more, which I don't think the Everest will do. The solid rear axle should keep the rear end flat on the corners too, I think you will be surprised. I don't think either will have poor handling or ride comfort. They're not like the old 4x4s with sloppy suspension. I'd probably take the Territory over the Pathfinder too.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #23
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Hi guys,

i looked into the new Pathfinder before we got our Kuga.

The main thing that put me off the Hybrid is this
Quote:
To keep your Nissan running smoothly and reliably, your vehicle must be serviced every 7,000km or 6 months, whichever occurs first.

7,000km/6 monthly servicing is pathetic, and for only 1l/100km saving.

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post