Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Sioso
irregular member

Default FPV used car review

How do they come up with these prices?

Where can you pick up a 2010 SC 5.0 GT for $26,300?

http://www.drive.com.au/used-car-rev...104-3jlc8.html

If you've been watching the motoring news pages lately, you'll know that the very last GT Falcon has hit showrooms.

Well, it would have, had not every available one of the 500 built been snapped up by collectors who recognised the last of the Australian GT Falcons as a gilt-edged investment.

In fact, many speculators have already attempted to cash in with pre-ordered cars changing hands for way above the list price before they've even been delivered.

You can expect the same thing to happen with the last of the V8 Commodores in a year or two, but it remains that folks have a real soft spot for these cars and ones like them.

Which brings us to some kind of collectible bargain.

See, as the prices of the GT-F keep on rising, there's a much cheaper way to get into what is a more or less mechanically identical, late-model GT Falcon for a whole lot less money.

And as the 500 GT-Fs disappear into collections in climate-controlled garages, the next model in line for beatification will be the model that preceded it, the FPV cars from 2010 to 2013.

We're talking the FPV GS, GT, GT-E and GT-P, all of which pack the same clout as the GT-F, handle pretty much as well and look remarkably similar.

And the even better news is that because they're not already enshrined at the altar of Aussie performance, you can still use them to actually drive.

While the FPV Falcon-based line-up took on the grey-eyeliner look (Ford calls it the 'racoon' look, we like 'Alice Cooper') with the accents cut deep into the front spoiler back in 2008 with the arrival of the FG Falcon model, it wasn't until late 2010 that the old 5.4-litre naturally-aspirated V8 was replaced.

The unit that did so, of course, is what – largely – makes these cars special.

It's a 5.0-litre V8 with a supercharger added to boost power to a claimed 315kW in GS form and 335kW in GT, GT-P and GT-E form.

Independent dyno-testing has since shown those numbers to be pretty conservative with the reality probably falling not very short of the 351kW claimed for the GT-F.

The 2011 range itself started with the GS as the entry-level car, then moved up to the GT with its extra power, the GT-P with bigger brakes and finally the GT-E which was the most expensive but the least in your face with much more subtle paint-outs and body-kit.

There was also a limited edition GT R-Spec which added bigger rear wheels (and the suspension modifications to allow them) and some suspension tweaks that were carried over to the GT-F.

Got all that? Good.

The bottom line is that they're all great cars thanks to that engine which rates as one of the best locally-developed engines ever seen here.

Locally-developed? Yes. The engine started life as a US-Spec 'Coyote' 5.0-litre V8 before FPV in Australia (in conjunction with Prodrive, then part-owner of FPV) turned it into the supercharged fire-breather we know and love.

And it's a corker.

Power comes on hot and very, very strong from idle and the thing just builds and builds, rocketing the relatively heavy Falcon-based four-door into next week.

Europhiles might scoff, but they'd be wrong, because even though it's a V8, it still uses double-overhead camshafts and four-valve technology to remain civilised and sophisticated.

A choice of six-speed manual or six-speed automatic was available, but history suggests that the manual will be the more collectible car in the future.

For now, though, the automatic is the nicer drive as the ratios are just right and the auto suits the punchy nature of the rest of the car.

When shopping now, you need to work out whether you're in this for the long term (and the investment potential that brings) or whether it's an instant gratification kind of car for you.

If it's the former, then buy the most original, unmodified car you can find.

When it comes to cars as investments, the more original the better, but even if it's a driver for now, we'd still be inclined to give heavily modified examples a wide berth.

The Falcon platform and driveline seems strong enough, but all too often, car modifiers confuse something different with something better and many the GT Falcon has been ruined as a driving car by modifications that actually detract from that experience.

The simple addition of a low-restriction exhaust won't matter, but any wholesale changes to the mechanical make-up of the car can affect its legality, insurability and, of course, its long-term collectability.

The supercharged engine in the GT also made it very easy to modify with a lap-top computer and the right knowledge.

With that in mind, many GSs with the lower power output have been boosted to match the claimed 335kW of the up-spec models, and that's not really a problem.

Of more concern is the car that has had its supercharger boost pressure increased and its power hiked substantially.

It might be a fun drive, but you may also tire of replacing tyres, brakes and driveline parts in the thing.

Speaking of which, the six-speed automatic is not without its problems and we've heard of a few of these units that have failed in service.

We'd also be wary of a car that has obviously been driven by a hoon.

A car with new front tyres but seriously worn rears is a fair candidate to have been thrashed and make sure you check everywhere for evidence of crash repairs.

A car with a big towing-hitch might also be one to be a bit careful of.

But find the right one, and the latter-day GT or GS Falcon is a lot of fun to own now and, who knows, might just be worth a decent dollar down the track when this country has stopped building cars altogether and we all realise just how lucky we were back in the good old days.
Our rating: 4/5
Nuts and bolts

Engine/s: 5.0-litre supercharged V8

Transmissions: 6-man/6-auto

Fuel economy (combined): 13.7 litres per 100km

Safety rating (courtesy of www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au): Not listed

Big performance from super-strong V8 engine. It's what the car is all about.

Six-speed auto is easy to live with.

Full-sized layout means it can carry five adults.

Who knows, could be worth money as a collectible in years to come.

Dislikes:

Seating position doesn't really suit taller drivers.

Will drink plenty of fuel if driven hard.

Beware of modified examples.

Some will have been driven hard.

Competitors:

HSV Clubsport – Doesn't have the supercharged engine, but 6.2-litre V8 does a great job. Better road manners than FPV, too, and more logical interior. Attracts the hoons, though. 4 stars

Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo – Another great locally developed engine, the turbocharged inline six is a ripper and works well with the six-speed automatic. In G6E Turbo form, it's even visually subdued. 4 stars

Chrysler 300 SRT – A big American car with a big heart thanks to 6.1-litre V8. Five-speed auto is one ratio short, though, and the interior is a bit low(er)-rent in that typical US way. Looks sharp. 3.5 stars

What to pay (courtesy of Glass's Guide):

Model Year New Now

GS 2010 $56,990 $20,900

GS 2011 $57,990 $22,900

GS 2012 $57,990 $27,000

GS 2013 $57,990 $31,300

GT 2010 $71,290 $26,300

GT 2011 $71,290 $28,900

GT 2012 $71,290 $33,500

GT 2013 $71,290 $39,500

GT-P 2010 $80,990 $30,200

GT-P 2011 $80,990 $33,300

GT-P 2012 $80,990 $39,000

GT-P 2013 $82,540 $46,200

GT-E 2010 $81,450 $30,400

GT-E 2011 $81,450 $33,400

GT-E 2012 $82,990 $46,500

GT-E 2013 $82,990 $46,500

Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Re: FPV used car review

No mention of the equally brilliant F6?!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post

Yeah the F6 will be the one to watch in the future.................how much currency the modern era GTs have in the future is anyone's guess, the GTF will have to be the pick of those of course being the last, you have to draw such a long bow to see any being collectable in the future, just enjoy them while we can

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just did a RedBook comparison search on FGF6 & FGGT. Both 2008 autos.
GT came $3k higher at $32K against $29K ( both top est )
Know which one was quicker around the track, down the qtr & cheaper to buy.
I bought it & it's a keeper.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blem View Post
Just did a RedBook comparison search on FGF6 & FGGT. Both 2008 autos.
GT came $3k higher at $32K against $29K ( both top est )
Know which one was quicker around the track, down the qtr & cheaper to buy.
I bought it & it's a keeper.
It's still not a v8 and doesn't have a GT badge....
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

..... and the thread isn't a discussion on which is better but the prices of GT's as far as I can see?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
or the F6E.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Wow ... the prices have really dropped.
very tempting indeed to try and get into one ... before tides turn ... especially the F6.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where do they pull those prices from?

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
66 STANG

Can't say I've seen prices for these cars anywhere near as low as those quoted in the list. I think someone has their head in the sand!
I'm sure if these really were the market values of these cars, they would all be snapped up in no time.
66 STANG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

So my GT 2011 which was $71,290 (but actually paid well under 70k for is only worth $28,900?

What price for a BA GT then?

I think Drival should check the used car market before crapping on.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #12
da_ilks

Read article, thought, geez, they can't be that cheap can they? Turns out they can't. Accurate prices Glass'.
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #13
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can find me a $26,000 335 GT I'll buy it tomorrow ...

Load of horse manure
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 12:13 AM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
So my GT 2011 which was $71,290 (but actually paid well under 70k for is only worth $28,900?

I think Drival should check the used car market before crapping on.
Maybe they should even check their own valuation website in Drive.com.au, which uses the Glass's guide as referenced in the above article, gives a private sale price of a 2011 GT between $32,450 and $36,880.

Carsales which uses Redbook gives a private sale price $42,100 to $46,200. Bit more realistic I say, but still seems low.

No difference in prices whether FG, MkII, manual or auto GT's.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 02:05 AM   #15
Rob1964

There more like a Redbook trade in price
i check carsales for FPV's like some people
check the stock market & nothings that cheap
what a joke hahahahaha!
Rob1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #16
elfinke

I've had a carsales 'saved search' setup for quite some time now (well, several of them: C55s/Toyota 86/XR6T...) This one alerts me any time an FG series Ford (including FPV) with more than 300kw and more than four doors comes on sale.

I could probably count on one hand the amount of alerts that have been sub-$35k, never mind $30k. Right now there is one (2009) 5.4l GS for sale for $20,990, which is some $8k cheaper than the next which raises some alarms.

Once you change the criteria to >2010, >300kw and 4dr, you start at a $30,800 F6. That is a car that is 5 years - 5 years - old next year. 10 cars later and you're knocking on $40k. These prices have remained fairly static over the time I've been curating and watching my list, with perhaps a $5k drop overall and seemingly more stock on the market than when I first started looking (no doubt that's related.) The biggest drop in price (largely due to discounting new prices) has been to FG XR6T, which are a dime a dozen at <$20k. That's a massive change from when I was looking to buy my BFMKII years ago.

Having said all that, it's not like there aren't some incredible bargains to be found. I've seen a large number of S/C GTs appear for under $40k recently, for example. And if you're happy with a GS, you've got your pick of tens of them.

I think the article - in summary - is sound, but the prices quoted are a tad optimistic! Redbook is a good deal closer to what I
I've seen.
elfinke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

delete
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #18
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

More *** than Glass, I'm afraid.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #19
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post

What price for a BA GT then?
You have to pay the person who takes the BA GT off your hands.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I just missed out on a nice BA GT nearby for 15k.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They rarely come up but for 26 k you might get a 2008 FG GT 5.4 with 100,000 + kms.

The cheapest 5.0 2010 GT ive seen was 40k, had 90,000 kms on it though.

GS's are another story, cheapest GS 5.0 ive seen was $29k, was purple with about 90,000 kms on the odo.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #22
Full_Monty

bought my 2011 FG GT335 for 44,000 3 weeks ago, with just 17,000km

I considered that very good buying as there wasn't many available in the 40's, and all had north of 40 - 50,000kms
Full_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
If you can find me a $26,000 335 GT I'll buy it tomorrow ...

Load of horse manure
and if you don't buy it I will.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #24
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Monty View Post

I considered that very good buying as there wasn't many available in the 40's, and all had north of 40 - 50,000kms
Well obviously you paid $20,000 too much!

B series GT's are still holding around the 20k mark with some I am sure actually selling for less. 15k would be rare but not uncommon .... especially for well used ones as they are hitting the 10 year old mark!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #25
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: FPV used car review

Quote:

In my opinion - based on the simple facts provided , I 'd say you have landed yourself a sweet deal ... Agree , with those k' - you would have expected to have paid north of $45k - closer to low $50's ... But again , condition , colour , accident report , etc , will play a very important factor .
Not sure , where the thinking has come from - that you can expect to pay mid $20's for a GT335 ???? . That's asking price , and very often selling money for a 50k's GT BF , and they 're getting harder and harder to find ones in excellent condition - if you do , often the seller knows it and will ask high $20's to low $30's ...
BF MKII with over 100k's and you will pick one up for high teens to low $20's
Agree with McNews - you will find a BA for mid to high teens ...but I looking for a BF - and would love to land a BF Cobra ... I know I am dreaming . I have turned my attention to looking for one as a wreck
Finally , GT335 at $44k @ 17,000k's is a excellent buy.
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #26
Full_Monty

had the car for nearly a month now, keep pinching myself that there would be something wrong with it somewhere for the price I paid, but nope, its perfect.

Love it, cant believe how good it is std, quicker than my modded xr6T, and so smooth and refined.
Full_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
had the car for nearly a month now, keep pinching myself that there would be something wrong with it somewhere for the price I paid, but nope, its perfect.

Love it, cant believe how good it is std, quicker than my modded xr6T, and so smooth and refined.
I bought my 2010 GTE with 45,000km on he clock for around similar money (on the road, in my name etc), and I am also pinching myself about owning one, it has the mods I would've done anyway, and I am able to drive it every day!.

I think glasses guide is more trade in/wholesale price and not really a true indication of market value. Redbook seems to be better, but they are notoriously low....they value mine at $41,100 to $45,300..
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #28
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfinke View Post

I've had a carsales 'saved search' setup for quite some time now (well, several of them: C55s/Toyota 86/XR6T...) This one alerts me any time an FG series Ford (including FPV) with more than 300kw and more than four doors comes on sale.
This has me puzzled. How many FGs are there with more than 4 doors?
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #29
elfinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
This has me puzzled. How many FGs are there with more than 4 doors?
That's just to remove Utes from the search.
elfinke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #30
commonrails

My 2011 GT was up for insurance renewal in August and they would only insure it for $32k, so I guess now in November $28,900 is about right. However I found another co to insure it for a real world price.
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post