Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
maybemondeo
Starter Motor

Smile What tranny is wet & dry???????

Hi all mondeo knowledge holders

Looking at buying a used mondeo, circa 2011ish, TDCI

I have read lots of scary info regarding tranny problems and it seems the 'wet' tranny is less prone to problems that the 'dry' ones.

so what mondeo's have wet and what dry??

Cheers

maybemondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: What tranny is wet & dry???????

Mondeo's with the 'POWERSHIFT' transmission have the Dual Clutch Transmission 'dry as you put it.

I believe up to 2010 (MB Mondeo) have the std 6spd sport trans (wet as you put it), but it's also the year of the introduction of the DCT, essentially any Mondeo with a 'powershift' is 'dry' or DCT. You can still find the latter 2010 MB sport auto and powershift auto's, so just be aware of it.

It too was the reason I looked for the MB Mondeo Sport Automatic and not the powershift. I found a good 2009 MB Zetec TDCI sport auto and love it. It's not without it's quirks but definitely a hidden secret. I have a click noise every time I release the brake pedal, I'm not the only one so it seems but have yet to investigate. Certainly not something that has tarnished my views on the vehicle.

I just have to stop driving it, in two months I've done 15K kms lol. That's not typical for me. I'm usually 20K kms/year.

Last edited by cobrin; 04-08-2014 at 11:20 AM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
morts
Starter Motor

I think you'll find the "Powershift" gearbox in the Mondeo is a wet clutch unit. The dry unit which has caused a lot of angst is run in the petrol Focus/Fiesta & was one of the reasons I decided not to buy one.
morts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

lol cheers for the correction...
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
maybemondeo
Starter Motor

thanks all for the info. looking at tdci's from pickles, maybe buying tomorrow???
Old 09-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Binny

How did you go at Pickles?
The TDCi powershift is definitely wet clutch. It needs the synthetic tranny fluid changed every 60,000km.
I bought a 2011 TDCi a few months ago and love it. After having an SUV its nice to have a car that drives like a car again. Its ride and handling are great.
In the 6000km I've driven its averaged 6.2L/100km (average 49k/h) I commute across Brisbane each day, half at motorway speed and the other half in stop start traffic jams. I even did 1200kms on a tank once for a 66L fill. That was a weeks commute and a return trip to Coffs.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
maybemondeo
Starter Motor

Hi Binny

I bid at pickles but the price went too high for me. after further investigation we have decided to get a mazda diesel as we just don't want to have to worry about the mondeo tranny breaking on us.
the only mondeo we have seen locally, after a conversation, we found out that they had to have a new tranny put in at a cost of 15k.
so after lots of research we have decicided on the mazda 6 wagon diesel. it
I hope the mondeo owners don't get up in arms, they seem a great car, nice and big, diesel cheap to run but the powershift is just too big a ??? for us.
thaks for your post and happy motoring. and I hope your powershift is one of the good ones that lasts the life of the car. in this day and age with the oney we spend on cars we all deserve worry-free motoring.
cheers
Old 11-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
Binny

No worries at all. You have to go with what you're comfortable with. There's certainly nothing wrong with a Mazda 6 diesel, they are a great car. If I could have found one in my price range I could easily be driving one of them.
I must admit that having owned mostly Toyotas in the past, I was nervous buying this car because of the tranny issues. So much so I bought the official Ford extended warranty to take it to 6yr or 200,000k.
But I love my Mondeo, its the best car I have ever owned and I'm comfortable with my decision.

I hope you love your car too because thats what its all about.
Cheers
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post