Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Improvements We'd Like in the FZ over the FG

I'll start, I would like:

a) More room above the clutch pedal in the manual (in my FG ute the tip of my size 12's get caught on whatever is above it).
b) More rearward seat travel and seats that can be moved closer to the floor in all models so I can more easily get my knees under the steering wheel.
c) A change to the fog light switch so it is less easy to turn on accidently with headlights.
d) A narrower A pillar or redesign of the front cabin so the A pillar is not so obstructive.
e) An eye level brake light for the ute in the sports bar, cabin roof or in the tailgate.
f) The availability of a reversing camera in the ute.
g) Change in the order of the option on the light switch wand so "Off" rather than "auto" the last setting.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: Improvements We'd Like in the FZ over the FG

Sorry mate, I don't mean to be negative but you MAY see the reverse camera or maybe even the eye level brake light in the ute but I seriously doubt that you will see any of the other things you mentioned.

These things would require a complete redesign and it has already been stated that the majority of the development money has been spent on aesthetics forward and rear of the A & C pillars.

You will see some extra features but they will simply be add-ons.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I don't think you will see any if that !
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quality parts that do not wear out in a short period of life
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Plus:

a) Removal of the "step" below the ute numberplate or installation of real scratch resistant weight bearing step; as it is now others use it as step (especially trade depot staff) scratching the paint and bending the bumper mounts.

b) The option of a greater CCA battery.

c) Built in tool box mounting threaded hole in the ute tub to optionally secure tool boxes (the could be plugged with plastic plugs until used) - it would only require some captive nuts to we welded on saving us doing that later (and Ford might even sell some optional Ford tool boxes to fit).

Last edited by aussiblue; 04-07-2014 at 07:35 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Sorry mate, I don't mean to be negative but you MAY see the reverse camera or maybe even the eye level brake light in the ute but I seriously doubt that you will see any of the other things you mentioned.
I know but wish listing doesn't hurt and it would be interesting if there are some easily accommodated common items listed.

Last edited by aussiblue; 04-07-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I know but wish listing doesn't hurt and it would be interesting if there are some easily accommodated common items listed.
Fair call.

In that case, I wish for mirrors that don't whistle from wind noise when driving at higher speeds.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

My only gripe with our FG mkII is the steering wheel doesn't go high enough. It looks as though it could go higher but it just doesn't. I don't think the seat needs to be lower. It has about the same steering wheel in lap seating position as a dodgem car.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

An interior that doesn't squeak
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A special "Moaners" pack, that can be bought without actually buying a Falcon, to allow all those people who have never owned a Falcon to whinge about it knowledgeably.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 04-07-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: ***** is a female dog
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

.. and the rear mounted sub machine gun that automatically deals with texting drivers. :-)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Pricing restructure across the range to match the reductions Holden introduced with VF
A base XR8 priced at VF SS money
Sync

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Falcon badge on the boot
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
1TUFFUTE
Banned

As long as people realize this is simply a "wish list" idea, as in the real world these are budget (the cheapest)large cars. You can't expect little details in cars that take owners ages to realize they wish they had them.
Not to mention most things are majorly individual.
I have ZERO problem with the seating or steering height of our FG falcons. I'm over 6ft and my wife is very little. She's happy too.

I'm racking my brain thinking of something I wish my G6ET had........
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #15
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
As long as people realize this is simply a "wish list" idea, as in the real world these are budget (the cheapest)large cars. You can't expect little details in cars that take owners ages to realize they wish they had them.
Not to mention most things are majorly individual.
I have ZERO problem with the seating or steering height of our FG falcons. I'm over 6ft and my wife is very little. She's happy too.

I'm racking my brain thinking of something I wish my G6ET had........
Out of interest, can you see the top of the speedo?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #16
Nova 8

To be built in Australia after 2016.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
cycle myth

whats an FZ?
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #18
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
whats an FZ?
Likely the model series designation for the last model for the Oz Falcon; skipping FH and going straight to FZ see http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...79652&page=172

Last edited by aussiblue; 04-07-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #19
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wider and much firmer seat bolsters
Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #20
malazn mafia
Boss 335

LED taillights and not the current units that light up like a reshaped AU unit. Better sound system. FG2 was worse than FG1
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #21
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
LED taillights and not the current units that light up like a reshaped AU unit. Better sound system. FG2 was worse than FG1
i put JL c2 600 and c2 600x in my FG2 with "prestige" audio (splits in front, coax in rear) and it sounds monumentally better
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #22
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
They didn't even bother to have a centre stop LED light as fitted on VE and other cars since the 90s.

Makes me glad my Fairlane has it though.

A lot of these wishlists won't feature on the last Falcon, but won't stop me from getting one.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 01:29 AM   #23
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I'd REALLY like to see in the FZ?
A MASSIVE change in Attitude from Ford:
So how about instead of "we're leaving and killing the Falcon so let's exploit our loyal customers by gouging them for every cent we can," we get
"We're going, the money is sunk and Ford's investment in Australia has already been written off, hence squeezing very cent isn't important. So why don't we leave a legacy to be proud of; make this the BEST car ever built in Australia, load it with features and options and price the pants off it so that people will still be talking about the 'Legendary FU Falcon' in 20 years time."
4 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #24
Taily

My wife and I must have been deadset lucky with our FG as at 63XXXkm+ now we still don't have even so much as a squeak from our (well bolstered) XR50 leather, our stereo is enough to make your ears bleed and turn your spine to mush, the worst thing we have ever had need to replace on the car is a tailshaft damper and a wheel speed sensor over the whole time we've owned it and both were done under extended wty.

I am 6'4" and the "high seating" position was a bit odd for about the first 2 minutes of the first ever drive - that's it! Those (so called) motoring journalists seriously have appendage firmly in hand the way they carry on about it (mob mentality), it is seriously a "no issue" and to me is actually safer/better visibility around the car.

I think many of the peole bemoaning the Falcon should be made to wrap their behinds in a standard 60's or 70's Falcon for a week/month.... They'll soon see just how far the Falcon has come during its lifetime! Squeaks, rattles, near flat vinyl seats, attrocious brakes and handling, wandering steering with wallowing suspension that flogged tyres out in 15,000km, upper ball joints and idler arms (every twelve months!) cars that were already beginning to rust out just out of warranty (XD/E/F C-pillars anyone?).

Most of the moaners don't know just how good we've got it in just how far the vehicle has come! I also am struggling to try and think of something out FG had that it doesn't already - apart from a blown 5lt under the bonnet, but that would mean swapping out that sweeeeeeeeet I6T (never going to happen so it is almost time to stump up my cash for a new XR8 in a couple of months).

To the OP, a wish list is always going to be subjective but things like the thick A pillar are a sign of the times of ANCAP ratings and crash protection measures. I'd love them to be as slim as my old 70's cars but that is never going to happen again - anywhere. The rest of what you wrote would be nice but that clutch pedal issue intrigues me. I have a size 13 boot and when driving a mate's FG turbo I don't seem to have that issue of getting my foot stuck anywhere (I can see how you would though!), but then again I only use my toe area of my boot on the clutch. Just one knotch further back on the ute seat would be great too!
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #25
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taily View Post
My wife and I must have been deadset lucky with our FG as at 63XXXkm+ now we still don't have even so much as a squeak from our (well bolstered) XR50 leather, our stereo is enough to make your ears bleed and turn your spine to mush, the worst thing we have ever had need to replace on the car is a tailshaft damper and a wheel speed sensor over the whole time we've owned it and both were done under extended wty.

I am 6'4" and the "high seating" position was a bit odd for about the first 2 minutes of the first ever drive - that's it! Those (so called) motoring journalists seriously have appendage firmly in hand the way they carry on about it (mob mentality), it is seriously a "no issue" and to me is actually safer/better visibility around the car.

I think many of the peole bemoaning the Falcon should be made to wrap their behinds in a standard 60's or 70's Falcon for a week/month.... They'll soon see just how far the Falcon has come during its lifetime! Squeaks, rattles, near flat vinyl seats, attrocious brakes and handling, wandering steering with wallowing suspension that flogged tyres out in 15,000km, upper ball joints and idler arms (every twelve months!) cars that were already beginning to rust out just out of warranty (XD/E/F C-pillars anyone?).

Most of the moaners don't know just how good we've got it in just how far the vehicle has come! I also am struggling to try and think of something out FG had that it doesn't already - apart from a blown 5lt under the bonnet, but that would mean swapping out that sweeeeeeeeet I6T (never going to happen so it is almost time to stump up my cash for a new XR8 in a couple of months).

To the OP, a wish list is always going to be subjective but things like the thick A pillar are a sign of the times of ANCAP ratings and crash protection measures. I'd love them to be as slim as my old 70's cars but that is never going to happen again - anywhere. The rest of what you wrote would be nice but that clutch pedal issue intrigues me. I have a size 13 boot and when driving a mate's FG turbo I don't seem to have that issue of getting my foot stuck anywhere (I can see how you would though!), but then again I only use my toe area of my boot on the clutch. Just one knotch further back on the ute seat would be great too!
that's all very well, but not every car is built exactly the same, so some people WILL have issues that you don't, just take a look at my thread

they're fantastic cars but it's luck of the draw.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #26
Taily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
that's all very well, but not every car is built exactly the same, so some people WILL have issues that you don't, just take a look at my thread

they're fantastic cars but it's luck of the draw.
I hear you and feel for you having read your thread about your experiences previous to now. I wasn't having a shot at anyone, I just made the observation that we've had a very good run with my wife's FG and have (luckily) not seen so many of the issues that seem prevalent.
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #27
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Most of the moaners don't know just how good we've got it in just how far the vehicle has come!

And those who can’t be bothered moaning will just buy something else.
That’s the whole thing about expectations, everyone’s are different and everyone takes a different approach or expects more or less for their money.
This will be the best Aussie Ford ever as far as advancements go but that doesn’t mean everyone is going to be happy with it or want to buy one.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #28
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Squeaks, rattles, near flat vinyl seats, attrocious brakes and handling, wandering steering with wallowing suspension that flogged tyres out in 15,000km, upper ball joints and idler arms (every twelve months!) cars that were already beginning to rust out just out of warranty (XD/E/F C-pillars anyone?).
Some of these issues still live on with modern Falcons. Ball joints, diff bushes, centre bearings etc that wear out prematurely and commonly.

Just had a 30,000km FG MkII here and the centre bearing rubber and rubber donut were already showing signs of heavy cracking. The diff bush was no different.

The only difference between those older Falcons and the current is that the current has things that go wrong which cost a lot of money and to replace one small part needs the removal of an entire assembly (dash or diff cradle etc).

In saying that, I still love Falcon, but the quality, cost of maintenance and reliability dropped off significantly after the EL/AU.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #29
marcyeo

Well better build quality seems to be the resounding theme here and I agree - only 5000km's on my brand new GT and already got a squeak behind the dash, a rattle behind the driver's door - and my driver's seat is already starting to squeak!

It's almost like they gave up trying to build a good car after Ford announced closure - the build quality is worse than my previous F6!

Stronger diff's and ZF's that don't milkshake would also be on my "wishlist"..

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #30
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diff bushes, everything else is fine.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post