Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Johnybravo
Starter Motor

Question AU falcon running cold

G'day all ,

I have recently bought a series 111 XR6 ute and I've noticed that it uses a lot of fuel and it takes a long time to warm up . I have changed the thermostat twice and it's still doing it . When the ute does warm up it sits just under the N on NORMAL but usualy sits on the second white stroke just above cold on the highway @ 110 (too cold) ?

I had this same problem with my BA so I replaced the thermostat and the problem was fixed , but that doesn't seem to be the case with my ute . What else should I try/replace next ?

Cheers .

Johnybravo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Johnybravo
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU falcon running cold

I've also replaced the radiator and done a full coilant flush two weeks ago !!!

I've found that there is no power/econ button next to the gear shifter or ECON light on the dash/instrument cluster ? My mate's AU has it , but not mine ?

Appart from fuel economy and crap heater I can't fault it on anything else (I love it !!!)
Johnybravo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Johny B, welcome to forums, what temperature thermostat did you put in? a while ago when I did a cooling system service on mine I swapped the slightly cooler summer one I had in it at 170/180 degrees and put the hottest one I could get to make the heater toasty for winter :**.................a 195 degree one in it, warms up fairly quick and gets stinking hot,
do you think they might have given you a cooler rated thermostat by mistake?
your highway temp if the gauge is correct sounds too cold too me,(unless your in snow country) I am assuming the xr6 ute has the same gauge as the sedan,
I have a series 2 xr6 sedan, even when I change from cool to hotter thermostat it never shows that much of a difference on the gauge, mines usually in the N range even on the highway, i'm not sure how familiar you are with thermostats, but usually they have the temperature stamped on it somewhere.
maybe the thermostat is a dud? given it is very easy to pull out I would be checking it out first, the only other thing I can think of is the fans may be staying on ?let us know how you go.

Edit: I cant speak for other au owners but pretty happy with my heater.

Last edited by mik; 08-07-2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: add
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Hi Johnybravo. XRs do not have Power/Economy modes for the trans. They run what is called adaptive shift, which the ecu will select from 1 of 5 tables for shift variables based on driver input. You can force max Performance or max Economy though by following the below procedure:

1. Stop the vehicle, apply handbrake and turn off ignition.
2. Apply the brake pedal and move the gear selector to: 1 for max performance, 2 for max economy or 3 for Adaptive.
3. Turn the key to ON and wait for the airbag light to go out
4. Move gear selector to R (Reverse)
5. Move gear selector to P (Park) and start the vehicle.

Hope that helps. I am guessing your XR is also a VCT engine. These are also known to be a little more thirsty.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post