Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Academics, students and alike

Hi,

Thought i'd start a thread based around academic writing, education and research.

I'm currently studying social work with UniSA and plan on completing a teaching degree following this. I value education for a variety of reasons but i often become stuck for ideas, need direction or someone to read a paper; as for those of you who know, its easy to get caught up in a paper and forget the person reading it may not grasp the concept or context.

Im currently writing a research paper to submit for a proposal - Uni assignment. I am developing research to compare the colour emotion responses and preferences of western culture and Indigenous Australian participants to provide data for further research and possible use of appropriate colours in clinical and first response emergency services in an attempt to increase trust in the system and to improve the overall health of Indigenous Australians.

What are you studying or are you finished?
Are you working on any papers or projects?

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Default Re: Academics, students and alike

*strokes chin* that sounds mighty interesting.

I've got a BA in mechanical engineering, and work in piping at the moment. As a Grad I don't get much opportunity to write papers and stuff.
I'm currently waiting to find out if I got in to study a BMus through University of New England by distance, I've already pretty much done a masters proposal for that.

Aaaaaand, I'm still considering doing an Engineering Management masters, amongst other things.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post

Im currently writing a research paper to submit for a proposal - Uni assignment. I am developing research to compare the colour emotion responses and preferences of western culture and Indigenous Australian participants to provide data for further research and possible use of appropriate colours in clinical and first response emergency services in an attempt to increase trust in the system and to improve the overall health of Indigenous Australians.
I don't even understand the subject of you proposal, so I'm outta here!
Old 23-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Grad Dip in VET, did it about 5 years ago, didn't learn much, got a pay rise, so it was worth it
Old 23-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10 years of University here
B.Business Accounting
***. Dip. Architectural draughting
B. Design
B. Architecture

For fun I write architectural critique of new buildings and historic building styles. More recently I have spent time creating content for an architectural Blog dedicated to research and contemplation of the industry and what it faces, hopefully we go live in 4-6 weeks.

The color topic is very interesting, there is of course a very large body of existing work for you to draw upon in your research...I don't know of any relating specifically to Australian indigenous, but we use color psychology in our daily work.
The topic of conversation I like to engage in with my clients is...
what does yellow sound like, what shape is green.
Good luck with your research and report writing.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
B.Business Accounting
B. Design
B. Architecture

For fun I write architectural critique of new buildings and historic building styles. More recently I have spent time creating content for an architectural Blog dedicated to research and contemplation of the industry and what it faces, hopefully we go live in 4-6 weeks.

The color topic is very interesting, there is of course a very large body of existing work for you to draw upon in your research...I don't know of any relating specifically to Australian indigenous, but we use color psychology in our daily work.
The topic of conversation I like to engage in with my clients is...
what does yellow sound like, what shape is green.
Good luck with your research and report writing.

JP
I do kind of wish id gone into graphic design. Sounds like youre enjoy it.

Ive done some research around the colour emotion/preference from various studies. My lecturer said i had a good proposal (first assignment) which leads on to the current one (major paper for the research subject). The paper is more about how i would conduct the study than the hypothesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski View Post
*strokes chin* that sounds mighty interesting.

I've got a BA in mechanical engineering, and work in piping at the moment. As a Grad I don't get much opportunity to write papers and stuff.
I'm currently waiting to find out if I got in to study a BMus through University of New England by distance, I've already pretty much done a masters proposal for that.

Aaaaaand, I'm still considering doing an Engineering Management masters, amongst other things.
Thats pretty epic dude. I read something you wrote the other day looking for a career to earn decent coin. Wouldve thought what your doing is earning some decent cash, or my perception of decent cash differs from yours lol.

Good luck and keep posted.

whats BMus? was it music i remember from reading the other day?

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 23-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a diploma in school of life

hth
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Lotte

Quote:
Thats pretty epic dude. I read something you wrote the other day looking for a career to earn decent coin. Wouldve thought what your doing is earning some decent cash, or my perception of decent cash differs from yours lol.

Good luck and keep posted.

whats BMus? was it music i remember from reading the other day?
Yeah, I get some decent coin where I am right now, my only problem is that if I went back to uni full time I'd lose that, and then we'd stall in our plans a bit.

I'm honestly looking for a career that doesn't make me want to stab my eyes out

BMus is music yeah, plan is to finish it in 5-6 years, and work as an engineer till then, then possibly teach. I can teach classical piano now, which I might do for some extra boost to the coffers. What I'd love to do though is to a PhD in 17th and 18th century composers and styles, then lecture/research/perform.

What are your plans with your degree, just go into teaching or do something else as well? how much longer have you got?

Old 23-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I currently work FT and study PT. I plan on finishing BSW and then BAE and work as a student counsellor. Can get a job in schools just with BSW but with both, just makes you more competitive and can teach too. I work as a youth worker with high school kids now, facilitating a flexible learning environment and case management for an NGO.

Current
Previous

Old 23-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Lotte

Cool. Sounds really interesting (and challenging).

Old 23-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
B.Business Accounting
B. Design
B. Architecture
Wow that's intense! Well done mate.

Great thread rbm, it's nice to see some fellow academics floating around. I'm completing a PhD of psychology, then hopefully will go on to do Masters of Clinical Psychology (psych postgrad is back to front compared to other disciplines...you can have a doctorate and be less qualified than someone with a masters). In the early stages of my research study, which is examining the influence of various substances and physiological states on the oculomotor reflexes. Will be recruiting control group participants very soon....

I love the field I'm in, it's so damned interesting, personally relevant and it's a continual process of learning; it has made the whole process of researching and studying thoroughly enjoyable.

Last edited by Ford_The_Win; 23-06-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
i have a diploma in school of life

hth
Probably makes you the most qualified of all of us...

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #13
vxssm6
Silhouette TS AWD

Post Graduate certificate in Commerce
Master of Business Administration (HR)
currently studying - civil engineering degree @ USQ

Considering withdrawing from engineering though as I want to concentrate on HR (I'm in mining, employed as HR and Finance Manager. I am very interested in engineering and am passing everything so far, however I'm 35 and am never going to use the engineering degree it was only personal goal of mine to complete it).

I really want to move my career into more of an Industrial / Employment Relations specific role rather then where I am now, and the engineering degree is unfortunately taking up too much time to concentrate on anything else :(

The important thing to remember is that studying only gets you half way there, on job experience is really it really brings everything together. My wife is a Lawyer, and I have been through her three times as a student studying her degrees (criminology, human rights and juris doctor). Anyone who knows a lawyer will attest to the fact that law students know EVERYTHING (ha ha), you will never win an argument; it is when they actually start practicing that they begin to realise how much they DIDN'T know ;)

Don't tell her I said that
vxssm6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

red, connotation with red cross.

honestly, why bother with this? why reinvent the wheel? especially for the benefit of such a small proportion of the population?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Bachelor of Applied Science in IT and IS
Masters in IT
A whole range of industry certifications and now contemplating an MBA.
It just never stops.
Old 24-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

RBM can you clarify what it is you are doing? Perhaps expand a bit more on your project. I might be able to help you.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #17
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well its a paper which focuses on the methodology of research, so its an in depth discussion of the steps involved and how i intend to do it in order to test variables of the hypothesis

Current
Previous

Old 24-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #18
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxssm6 View Post
Anyone who knows a lawyer will attest to the fact that law students know EVERYTHING (ha ha), you will never win an argument; it is when they actually start practicing that they begin to realise how much they DIDN'T know ;)

Don't tell her I said that
As a former law student who is currently doing the required work experience prior to admission into practice, I can attest to that. Starting work at a law firm is almost like my first day at uni, there's so much that I DIDN'T know about practising law.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #19
pmacc

Quote:
Hi,

Thought i'd start a thread based around academic writing, education and research.

I'm currently studying social work with UniSA and plan on completing a teaching degree following this. I value education for a variety of reasons but i often become stuck for ideas, need direction or someone to read a paper; as for those of you who know, its easy to get caught up in a paper and forget the person reading it may not grasp the concept or context.

What are you studying or are you finished?
Are you working on any papers or projects?
Shaun, choosing teaching as your next degree will be a very smart move there is still a big demand for male teachers in SA and probably will be for a long time.

Im in my last year of a double degree in B. International Studies with B.Arts (major in Politics) so if you need any political or global influences for your papers, chuck us a PM.
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm currently studying social work with UniSA and plan on completing a teaching degree following this.
when you are looking at substance abuse in your social work degree let me know I have some excellent resources if you need help.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #21
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Bachelor of Applied Science in IT and IS
Masters in IT
A whole range of industry certifications and now contemplating an MBA.
It just never stops.
It is all about the 'bits of paper' these days, not what experience you have.

I have a range of 'bits of paper' because of the area I work in I need to have them, I just listed the highest one I have.
Old 24-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the way I'm finding it over the last 10 years is you need the "bits of paper" to back up your experience. rather than just a focus on qualifications, so it is still a battle after you qualify to get the initial experience to kick start your career
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
It is all about the 'bits of paper' these days, not what experience you have.

I have a range of 'bits of paper' because of the area I work in I need to have them, I just listed the highest one I have.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 24-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacc View Post
Shaun, choosing teaching as your next degree will be a very smart move there is still a big demand for male teachers in SA and probably will be for a long time.

Im in my last year of a double degree in B. International Studies with B.Arts (major in Politics) so if you need any political or global influences for your papers, chuck us a PM.
Thanks mate, very much appreciated. Are you enjoying it? what kind of work or career do you plan to enter? Goodluck mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
when you are looking at substance abuse in your social work degree let me know I have some excellent resources if you need help.
Thanks dude. Is it first hand experience??

Drug and alcohol counsellors work from the same organisation i do and ive got a pretty big professional network. But ill be sure to post in this thread for any assistance, which is why i thought it might be handy to start a thread, to network, share and provide assistance.

What kind of work/study do you do?

Current
Previous

Old 24-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #24
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Thanks dude. Is it first hand experience??

Drug and alcohol counsellors work from the same organisation i do and ive got a pretty big professional network. But ill be sure to post in this thread for any assistance, which is why i thought it might be handy to start a thread, to network, share and provide assistance.

What kind of work/study do you do?
partly, yes I have been sober since 13/8/2000 I have CertIV in community services (AOD work) and have worked in a detox unit, a rehab, court based interventions, Pharmacotherapy and harm minimisation but funding cuts killed that off . I also have Cert IV in training and assessment and am currently doing a dual Cert IV in business and WHS. I do training for the bus industry and also drive buses myself . I am also an electrician and have my data cabling open licence.
so as you can see I have a lot of varied experience.
If you want an interesting perspective on substance abuse look up Alex Wodak modernising Australia's drug policy and prohibition a call for change. Both challenge mainstream thinking with well thought out and researched facts well worth reading from a social justice point of view

Rides:

Old 24-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
pmacc

Quote:
Thanks mate, very much appreciated. Are you enjoying it? what kind of work or career do you plan to enter? Goodluck mate
Love it, changed to commerce for 1 sem and i hated every second of it.
Jobs wise hopefully working around state parliament otherwise ive applied for graduate positions for a few government jobs but there all in Canberra so not keen at all. If i was to travel at the end of the year then i could look at advisory for one of the finanical firms in Adelaide.
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
partly, yes I have been sober since 13/8/2000 I have CertIV in community services (AOD work) and have worked in a detox unit, a rehab, court based interventions, Pharmacotherapy and harm minimisation but funding cuts killed that off . I also have Cert IV in training and assessment and am currently doing a dual Cert IV in business and WHS. I do training for the bus industry and also drive buses myself . I am also an electrician and have my data cabling open licence.
so as you can see I have a lot of varied experience.
If you want an interesting perspective on substance abuse look up Alex Wodak modernising Australia's drug policy and prohibition a call for change. Both challenge mainstream thinking with well thought out and researched facts well worth reading from a social justice point of view
Well done mate.
Thats interesting. Got your fingers in a few pies there. Thanks for the hint. Im sure that would offer me a perspective not many others will take. I have found BSW pushes you towards a particulaer perspective in each subject and doesnt really allow you to explore and use alternatives.

Current
Previous

Old 24-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #27
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got me an BAppSc, BChiroSc, Grad Dip, and i am now completing my MBBS. A current project is the Wound Clinic at the hospital, and how to effectively teach students and interns about correct management of chronic wounds.
So all up i have spent 10 years in uni and another 4 doing the grad dip....
Then i will have 5-7 years as a registrar doing surgery.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post