Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Selling my car advice

Not sure where to post this but looking around my 172k falcon in my sig is worth about 5k~ going from car sales

trans is only 3000km old totally new reconditioned and everything else is fine.

Is that too much to ask for the old girl? Thinking of selling it soon and getting something else.

Hope mod puts this in the right spot i have no idea sorry.

falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Selling my car advice

Sounds about right, maybe a little low, as theose ks are reasonable and it sounds like a nice car.
You would ceratinly get more in Perth.
I'd buy it, if you can deliver.

Just as a note, current day "Backpackers" LOVE these..
Old 27-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah righto.

Well theres nothing needed for rego.

i actually need the money for going os soon but i also need the car for a roadtrip.

Will probably put it up for sale after July but yeah.

So 5.5k you reckon? It isnt immaculate cosmetically 2 years on country roads made it look a little scruffy, it polishes up nice nothing mechanically wrong and its got rego till august.

Also can provide stock exaughst, intake bits if needed and still have manual, original headunit was dead though.

Ill let you all know ill post a ad up soon.
Old 27-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut View Post
It isnt immaculate cosmetically 2 years on country roads made it look a little scruffy,
Hmm, that could be a problem. If you have a car that looks “better than average” that implies better care and hence better condition.
You’ve got the problem that these cars, whilst still popular, are abundant, so when you come to sell you will have plenty of competition. A quick look on Gumtree shows a dozen similar cars under $4,000 in NSW.
Thing is most of these are going to be “a little scruffy” to say the least, so if you have a car that presents much better, it will stand out and is far more likely to impress somebody into parting with the extra cash.
Also, the extra your car has may appeal to somebody. Posting on here is not a bad idea, as you’re more likely to find a Falcon lover.

When it does come time to sell, you need to be either prepared to meet the market, or spit-shine every square inch of that sucker, make it look loved, and keep it that way until it sells.

Alternatively, if you don’t have success finding a buyer who loves it the way it is, consider selling the extras, and returning the car to stock.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Come time to sell, clean the car thoroughly inside and out (and keep it that way as mentioned by
Dazz) and write a clear and detailed ad. A mention of all the recent work and maintenance history
will be a bonus.

I see a lot of cars for sale online where the lazy owners can't even be bothered
to get rid of the muck and chip packets and then photograph it for the ad!!

Last edited by wulos; 27-04-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate pottymouthing
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have looked at cars in the past and nearly fell over with the stench when the door was opened, closed the door again only for the owner to ask whats wrong? Clean it up best you can, buy some touchup paint and do that, . suprising how much difference that can make from 5 ft away and in your photos, doesnt matter if they can tell its touched up, if it drives good and they are taking it for a test drive, you have at least got them looking at it.shampoo the seats and make the presentation as good as you can.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92 View Post
I see a lot of cars for sale online where the lazy ar$e owners can't even be bothered
to get rid of the muck and chip packets and then photograph it for the ad!!
Yeah I have notice this to and that's looking at classic cars, Like they are to lazy to even vacuum the floors. If they can't be bothered cleaning the car at selling time, makes you wonder how they looked aftered it in general.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah righto thanks guys point taken.

The only cosmetic issues is about 10 small chips from gravel/tar at the front and it has a spot on the roof where the clearcoat is a little dull.

Its still really clean inside and out, it looks stock but doesnt sound stock :p
Old 27-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to give you an idea, i sold my AU3 SR back in mid 2011 for $4500. it was silver with 190k's on it, 18" BA xr8 mags, cat back exhaust, towbar and dark tint.

had a decent scratch/graze (maybe the size of an A4 page) on the bonnet from a close encounter with a half open roller door :(

i was offered $2k trade in so i sold it private. was asking just over $5k i think, but took the first offer of $4500 as i had already taken delivery of a new car and just wanted it off my lawn

as a side note, my car had a big 'jetpilot' sticker on it to make it easier to spot in car parks. i removed the sticker to sell the car and the new buyer said if he had seen the sticker he wouldn't of looked at the car as it would have indicated a young hooligan driving. i was in my late 20's and married with kids so no hooligan shananigans in it. just pointing out that first impressions might hurt a sale, or then again it could appeal to P plate buyers.

good luck with the sale
Old 27-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
AU Mont
Banned

dont even bother trying to selling anything on carsales at the moment. The market is absolutely horrible........... its kind of funny watching sellers with the same car/model lower the price one after the other on a weekly basis like its a game of tag. Prices alot of them well below market value, and yet still there.

Would be an awesome time for buyers though !!!!

Im guessing the sellers market will pick up a little once everyone gets their tax refunds?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be surprised if you get $5k (but good luck and I hope you do!)

I would even be surprised/lucky to get $5k for the BA in my sig, similar km and in good condition.

Will be interested to hear what you get for it though.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well if i am honest i bought it for 4.5 and it was advertized for 4999

Anything over 5 i would be blown away.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 27-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
kempy311
BEN

Last year I sold a duel fuel au2 wagon with about 240km in good nic for 4k I was very lucky to get that. I wouldn't price you car unrealistically high as you don't want to scare people away. I think 4k is a reasonable price for what you have got.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon start at $5k and if they are keen they can try and bargain, i love a good barter.
Old 27-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd be surprised what can happen. I had my beat up XH pano on eBay last year for auction. Someone messages me asking how much to end the auction early. I said $3000, then he offers me $4000. Total nutbag. I only paid $2500 for it 5 years earlier and said $3000 because I wanted the auction to run. I never stopped to ask why he offered more than I was asking.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha. i had the same with a old bike i got given.

Anyway thanks for the advice hopefully when it comes time to sell the old red bugger i get some of the $8k back i spent on it.
Old 27-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut View Post
I reckon start at $5k and if they are keen they can try and bargain, i love a good barter.
Absolutely
Most people will at least look at ads for cars a fair bit higher that what they are planning on spending, if you indicate that you are prepared to negotiate, that will really get them interested.
And I reiterate, don’t be disheartened by the cheap prices advertised, a lot of those will be **** boxes, price your car in the right ballpark, and make it attractive, and you will have a good chance.
Old 27-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i noticed alot of people asking too much up front and then saying NO LOW BALL OFFERS PRICE FIRM BLA BLA BLA