Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What would you do? Multiple choices allowed.
Take a leaf out of Mitsubishi/Nissan books and become an importer only. 13 8.61%
Retain the Falcon platform for as long as possible and do whatever refreshes the budget allows. 84 55.63%
Find a replacement for Falcon/Territory in the global portfolio. 53 35.10%
Something else. 25 16.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Ford and the Future - your say...

Let's just pretend that you have been handed the job (or poisoned chalice) currently occupied by Bob Graziano as President and CEO of Ford Australia.

You have:

- struggling Falcon sales across the range but a Territory that is mostly holding it's own in the market but which depends on the Falcon for the platform;

- a Focus that is improving sales but which operates in a fickle and fashion conscious market segment;

- ditto the Fiesta;

- a Mondeo that is struggling even more than the Falcon while it holds almost a non existent percentage of the segment;

- a Ranger that has doubled sales during the last 12 months and which looks to be going strong for the foreseeable future

- a Transit range that has slipped from a major player in the segment to another also ran

- a dead (and unlamented) Escape, an overpriced Kuga but the promise of a better one coming.

You've also got FPV in your portfolio although you probably aren't sure what to do with it and no real budget for any major development work although that is offset by having access to the global Ford product pool.

Let's just assume, for the purpose of this exercise, that you can't get funding/approval/support to produce another Falcon -

So what would you do?

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 04-03-2013 at 10:05 PM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Ford and the Future - your say...

- Look into producing Ranger in Australia
- Approach ambulance and fire services in all Australian states to try win them over from Mercedes Sprinters.
- Look into costs for Ford Explorer/F Series/Mustang to be created in RHD.
- Kill FPV or re-badge Euro ST models under the FPV moniker, so you'd have an FPV Fiesta/Focus/(F150?).

You can't kill Falcon without killing Territory it seems, otherwise I'd kill Falcon and replace it with 2014 Mondeo.

Though you can't really have Ranger and F150 because they are similar size.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Are we to assume we have total power here? Or is every strategy at the whim of Dearborns priorities? Lol
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Lardman

Modernise the falcon.

Parts out of the fusion/mondeo from global parts bin and modularise it a little, update the interior, market ecoboost more aggressively.

Update the GT and FPV's to compete with higher end euros - electronic damping, proper aero, so on. Interior updates too.

It's a good car, we've put all this cash into it locally and they still don't do the legwork to make it a properly global platform. Sell it in the US with an updated, more plush interior, add cheap niceties such as heated seats and so on and actually give it a decent standard equipment list.

Sell it as a luxury RWD platform instead of positioning it as an everyman large car - it's the size of a 7 series, what does that tell you?
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Whatever Detroit tells me, like I'd have a choice. Oops, looks like thunder stole my... Whatever.

Retro Styled Falcon!

Last edited by R-Design; 04-03-2013 at 10:20 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I would keep transit as long as possible as it's already paid for, everything it brings in is pure profit.

Mondeo is good but I feel focus can provide similar solutions and considering it's the more popular and not to mention successful name plate i'd aim to keep and promote that as opposed to double dipping with 2 models.

Fiesta needs to be promoted more as a unisex car.
Aiming it as being funky and cool to young females works, but to males it is a cheap to run, reliable, comfortable and not to mention safe solution, they just don't know that...

Ranger, I would endeavour to keep up with demand as best as possble whilst continuing to spruik the advantages of ranger ownership for target demographic.

Falcon, I'd look at where I could cut cost everywhere I could possibly cut costs including looking at v6 tech if it can significantly bring down costs(i personally hate the idea of a v6 but we're talking about business here so no passion before principal) or any other lower cost and/or shared tech that could be implemented.

Even cutting down falcon range to XR6/T and G6E/T.

Territory, i'd be investingating merging platforms with ranger to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak and combine the potential revenue from 2 strong sellers.

Could potentially mean less outlay on 2 seperate successful models in the future whilst potentially maximising profit providing sales hold up(eg. Holden/Daewoo badge engineering losing sales)

And i'd want to put an emphasis on merchandise people actually want, not the same old boring designs and accessories.

I want an aggressive looking shirt(My GT R-spec Bathurst shirt is a good example of aggressive).
Something that I can wear that shows how passionate I am about the Ford Falcon.
Might seem like pocket change but all those little sales add up, create passion and brand awareness without the massive expense of an advertising campaign thats likely to fall on deaf ears.

Works the same for stickers, phone covers......etc skies the limit!

I'm no expert at all(obviously) but for this hypothetical exercise thats my answer.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway

Last edited by FGX-351; 04-03-2013 at 10:22 PM.
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Push the Falcon upmarket and locally produce Ranger, Focus and Kuga.

We need volume and a diversified locally produced range.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Retire the Falcon after 2018, make the Mondeo here for Australia and New Zealand, perhaps under a new name for us. Keep the Territory going for as long as the platform is able to hold its own, then retire it in favour of the Explorer, to be built here for us and NZ. As for FPV, they would have the Focus, Fiesta and Mondeo and a personalisation package for Ranger and Explorer, with a more aggressive body kit, mechanical up grades, suspension tunes ect, I believe there is a market for this if done properly. Also. A return to what Geoff Polites did, give customers big option lists, make the car personal. Remember BA, could have that in many many many combinations.

The last ever Falcon would be a modern day GTHO. The budget would be there for it, period. Send the old girl off with the biggest bang possible.

Advertising, again a return to BA days. Create hype. New Falcon Is Coming remains, in my opinion, the greatest advertising blitz of all time. Victoria was saturated with adverts, and the drip feed was pure genius.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Find a global niche for the Falcon and export it (assuming the AUD will drop at some stage)
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Let's just assume, for the purpose of this exercise, that you can't get funding/approval/support to produce another Falcon -

So what would you do?

Cheers
Russ
If this is the premise ..... the Territory would not survive without the Falcon so .....

It is matter of picking which would be the most viable proposition to fit into the larger car section from the Fusion/Mondeo/Taurus or what ever is going on at that time. That's the replacement for the Falcon.

Complete the Everest project to replace the Territory .... in both RWD and 4x4, 7 seater, Diesel and petrol. The Ranger is proven and the the Everest is still eagerly anticipated. Assemble some components here including some body assembly.

Include Australia as the design and testing hub for Ford .... they are good at it! Become the intelligent arm of the operation and become more specific in what it manufacturers.

The performance arm is simple. ST versions for the smaller cars then the Mustang variants to fill the Muscle void. Done deal!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I wouldn't kill of the falcon.

I would rather do whats possible using global compoants from the mustang, and Mondeo to keep a RWD sedan avaiable.

Reason?

Because who knows what the future holds, RWD sedans could become the next "thing", and its best to have something, then nothing at all.

Moving to global compoants cuts down development costs and allows for unique local platforms. Lincoln could also benifit from a RWD platform, and if the Chev SS is successful, there could be a market there also.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

We keep hearing how Fords H.Q keep cutting Ford Aus ideas on export & RHD developments. I think Ford Aus needs to grow some balls, bear with me with this story:

I was once in charge of a local division, needless to say, my teams ideas were always shut down by HQ. We knew one particular idea was a winner, but the brass could not see the potential. Enter: Operation "Stuff Them". Our local team decided we would secretly develop our idea, from concept, design, prototype, testing and ready to manufacture all under the cloak of stealth. The key was to have the concept shown to the industry boffins around HQ, and when they saw how great the concept was and also started getting excited..............we then publicly thanked HQ for the opportunity to net this deal. Win-win for everyone.

In Ford Aus's case: me personally, i dont have a problem with an imported Falcon & Territory as long as it is AS GOOD or BETTER. It does not have to be AUSTRALIAN MADE for it to be MADE FOR AUSTRALIANS. It must be built for Australian drivers, Australian famies, australian budgets, out tastes, our lifestyles and most importantly built for our tough roads and general conditions.

Out of all the capable design/development Centres Ford has globally, it's a no-brainer that Ford Aus leads this. If Ford HQ wont allow it, then Ford Aus should grow some balls and begin "Operation: Stuff Them" and quietly begin making a RHD G6E, RHD GT, RHD Territory prototype all up to date on features using Fords global parts bin, send them overseas, let the motoring journalist and boffins have a play. The key is having the faith to build it BETTER THAN THE YANKS on every level. Ford HQ will be banging on our doors for more!

Of course, we only need to do this..............if we are not already doing it! Lol

And then, convincing the Americans to buy our Falcon: Marketing. Imagine an advert, where an old American Ford worker recalls how he "...built Mustangs and sent them to Oustraylia, and fifty years later, those Oussies, sent it back bigger, better, with 2 more doors, better handling, and more power.....heck if it can handle the toughest and wildest country in the world, then i am proud to see Mustangs brother, The Falcon come back home.......YeeeeHaaaaa"
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Ford and the Future - your say...

I'd get designers and engineers working on exploring every niche that Ford could exploit throughout the world, whether its an 86 competitor, sub Figo budget car for emerging markets, some commerical or taxi application ,or a smaller RWD platform, that can be utilised by Lincoln and other markets alike.

Look into converting the I6 to diesel post 2016, to keep Geelong open, making an awesome engine suitable for Falcon, Lincolns and Super Duty alike.

Make Falcon relevant again by tailoring it to our changing infrastructure. Maybe something that takes semitrailers off our roads, based on a beefed up Falcon cab chassis platform.

Maybe something to prepare for a post mining boom economy : a basic Falcon with unpainted bumpers, cheapest running costs etc like Dacia - Again , this is about pre-empting trends, not following them.

That sounds a bit flight of fancy, but the point is to let the passion and impetus of the staff work unrestrained, and then decide from there what to put to management in Dearborn.

I doubt Mulally would want this commissioned, but doing it behind his back would open his eyes to things he would ordinarily not be aware of. Looking at the VF, subjecting it to the US process of clinics etc doesn't have a good effect.

More immediately,for FH I would secretly demand the ZF 8 speed instead of the 6 speed annouced, for the element of surprise. Maybe look into direct injection for the six if possible, but an MPI and DI system like Toyota.

Introduce a new sports model based on Ecoboost,with a sweet shifting manual, dynamics honed to perfection to create a new cult car.

I like R-Design's retro idea ; Here's my take on it - XT takes on retro design cues; XK Falcon badging, steel hubcaps, old school IP. This would make it unique and not a fleet queen. That role could be handled by a special order model without Falcon badges.

Interior plastics would need an upgrade, dash colours and ICC more customisable, one touch windows etc.

Isolate the reasons why Falcon is flagging (i.e resale) and investigate how to address them (i.e buyback, restricted fleet sales).
I'm sure the styling of the new model will be outstanding across the board, so I dont think I need to comment here.

Fire head of marketing, or at least put some fresh blood in.

Beyond 2016, Develop a modular SUV structure like VW's MQB, so we can make Ecosport, Kuga and Territory sizes off the same platform, here.

Imports- Bring in 3 door Fiesta again, with 1.0 non turbo as a cost leader.
Bring in 3.5 Ecoboost Transit and 1.0 Ecoboost Mondeo, to give us the best of both worlds and some segment busting, interesting cars.

Finally prevent the frustrating supply issues that have crippled Ranger and Focus from happening again, by handling the launch and unforseen events more carefully. This is something that irks customers and dealer staff alike.

Sounds like alot, but I think I have alot of ideas and passion to bring to the company as my new role as CEO.

Last edited by FalconXV; 04-03-2013 at 11:45 PM.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Just realise my post above was a bit far of the O.P idea. But i enjoyed writing it anyway. Sorry.

Supply of imported product is difficult here, thats what dealerships are saying, so step one is fix "supply and demand".
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
warpsp33d

Ford should rationalise the Falcon and Territory models, but allow consumers the choice of options.

They should also support and supplement that by building an alternative here - Ranger or Focus perhaps.

If I were Ford, I'd:

* Delete XT. New entry level is G6.
* Move GS to XR8.
* Move GT-E to G8E spec (but keep the name).
* Delete F6-E.
* Keep RSPEC as a special top-end FPV model, all others badged as Ford.
* In G6E and GT-E - offer a performance pack to add in extras that were in FPV models (better suspension, brakes, etc.)
* Also in G6E and GT-E - offer NCO luxury pack to swap out for softer suspension, wood grain, higher profile tyres.
* Offer V8 engines only in XR8, GT-E, RSPEC.
* XR6, G6 and G6E have choices of LPI, N/A, EcoBoost and Diesel power trains.

Load up the cars as much as possible with good quality parts from the global parts bin - throw all the good stuff in, and focus on doing the important bits here in Aus like design and suitability for our roads and environment.

As someone said above, to would be good to try and do some skunkworks LHD variants and send them overseas. Maybe have them at the V8 Race in Texas for Journos to try out???? (hell take some frigging LHD ones over there). Meanwhile, try and get some more coverage in RHD countries, not just Thailand.

Finally, revamp all of the advertising for the Falcon. It really is a great car and most people just don't know it. The folks I've taken for a ride in my EcoLPI or talked about it's features to, are really surprised that such a thing of that caliber comes off a production line in Australia from a badge like Ford.
warpsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #16
BroadyFord

In my opinion the Falcon brand has become toxic to the Australian mainstream thanks to Dowling et al and others in the media who are hell-bent on seeing the vehicle bow out.

To this end, I would push for the development of an upmarket Lincoln-type vehicle that would be the foundation for any Falcon replacement, however it would NOT be called Falcon given the now poisoned reputation the name carries. As it's an upmarket vehicle there is greater potential for export even if the AUD is at current levels - pricing can be more flexible.

Additionally, I would encourage the production of a global SUV alongside the above-mentioned vehicle to ensure maximum plant usage and economies of scale.

I hope Sinead Phipps is reading this thread!
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #17
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpsp33d View Post
. Maybe have them at the V8 Race in Texas for Journos to try out???? (hell take some frigging LHD ones over there). Meanwhile, try and get some more coverage in RHD countries, not just Thailand.
This is definitely something they should be doing anyway, IMHO. Put it against the Taurus. If One Ford is about being global, then let US customers and journos discuss the aspects of both cars they like.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #18
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
In my opinion the Falcon brand has become toxic to the Australian mainstream thanks to Dowling et al and others in the media who are hell-bent on seeing the vehicle bow out.

To this end, I would push for the development of an upmarket Lincoln-type vehicle that would be the foundation for any Falcon replacement, however it would NOT be called Falcon given the now poisoned reputation the name carries. As it's an upmarket vehicle there is greater potential for export even if the AUD is at current levels - pricing can be more flexible.

Additionally, I would encourage the production of a global SUV alongside the above-mentioned vehicle to ensure maximum plant usage and economies of scale.

I hope Sinead Phipps is reading this thread!
The Falcon brand is not poisoned at all, even Kia and Hyundai shows what a product led or value led recovery can achieve.

Falcon is simply too expensive or doesn't justify it's current pricing. 30 grand start point for Falcon with 2.9% interest rate.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #19
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be hard to do operation stuff them when half the people in power at Geelong are yanks :p.

I'd just leave the Falcon as two models like I said before, one striped down V8 in the style of the light weight muscle cars and one diesel luxo version.

The Mondeo is a a good car, everyone that has one says it's magical even ex Falcon owners say they will never go near a Falcon again after a Mondeo, it's there and ready to replace the average versions of the Falcons, just that no one knows about it... dodgy advertising is the only problem there.

If you can sell one cheap hero Falcon for image and brand rep and one luxo for profit you can probably keep the Territory line going. So long as the other models are selling and you have money in the bank I don't see the harm in keeping it. The Focus and Fiesta are best or near best in their classes, again the only problem with sales there is advertising.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #20
blueline
ambitious but rubbish

I would run an endurance event at You Yangs, with 6 Falcons running non stop for 70 000 miles....that would win them over surely.

It worked before.

www.themanifold.me
blueline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Mmmmm.

So much to do. #1. Reinstate Ford as a premium quality value for money brand. A place it has held in the market for at least 100 of its 110 years.

I would focus the maximum effort on customer retention.

Price matters it not as much as you think. It's important to meet the market on price, but quality, after sales support and a product suited to its intended purpose are way more important. Think I'm wrong? Just ask Toyota. This customer service attitude is 1st and foremost. Any dealer that doesn't want to get n board better go and find a Citroen franchise.

Now on to product. Lets start with import as they are easy.

Festiva. All good. 1.0 Ecoboost in the line up. If a sub fiesta 1st car car came up I'd like it. Preferably it would be a baby commercial ute/panel van.

Focus. All good

Mondeo. The new model can't come fast enough, but its coming.

Kuga/escape Mmmm time will tell but a compact SUV is required. Not sure u need both.

Ranger. Working well. Perhaps could cope with a sport version 5.0? It certainly doesn't require an f150 as they are to close in size.

New transit on its way. With auto trans which is a must for metro delivery. it need full 9 seater version for family/mini bus duties.

Now local.

Being a true Aussie I want local production to survive. And local engineering with it of course.

So falcon / territory need to become both unique and global at the same time.

Global means incorporating global parts for switches, suspension, engines and driveline. But can be a local design 5 door hatch, maybe even 3 door for export. Engines need to be v6, v6 Ecoboost, 5.0 coyote, 5.0 Ecoboost. With the reintroduction of 5.0 n/a for Xr8 and g8e.

Territory. Needs to step up simultaneously. Key features tech, self park, sunroof. Need to be standard fare. All vehicle must be able to be exported.

A real push on promoting the true quality Flacon. ( and therefore by association Territory). Lets face it. We all know falcon is not perfect but it is very good. And if anyone wants to do massive KM's they buy a falcon.

I would change the build to order program. Or at least out some pressure on dealers to actually carry some falcon stock. Stock creates deals which creates volume.

New additions to the range.

The ranger based SUV. 7 seats etc. preferably built alongside falcon.

Mustang. Sports coupe to take on ae86. Rx7. Must have ecoboost and v8 options

F250. Single and twincab. 4x2 and. 4x4 of each. You only have to look at price of used ones to know the demand is there.

And lastly. Everybody loves a winner. So ford need to start winning. I've hated being told about how VF commodore won a Nascar race despite the fact there would not be one Holden part in that car. So I would tip real money into Motorsport. Sure up DJR and support More V8 teams, get into drag racing, pull a stunt on the salt lakes with turbo xr6 with the speed limiter removed.

Then an Ecoboost Eco challenge. Adelaide to the NT on 1 tank of fuel. Or something like that. falcon. fantastic fast and frugal.

And more resources into media management. Controlling the story is part of the brand build. Currently we are reactionary. That's not good.
All that, and then I'm going to lunch.

Last edited by Elks; 05-03-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Elks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #22
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to add mining spec RTV diesel and optional ride height package on sedans and utes.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Readjust pricing to reflect what the market pays and not what the accountants at Ford would like us to pay. Scaring people off before they even get to a showroom doesn't seem that smart to me.

Look and act on customer retention issues. That would include getting rid of the decontenting culture at Ford. Improved quality on things like rust proofing, paint quality and suspension components that prematurely wear. Impress customers with the quality and durability of the Australian built cars. That should be there strong point.

Overhaul the dealer network. Tear up franshises on mass and start again. Its really at that point now and nothing else will effectively fix it.

I don't think Mondeo can replace Falcon. While I'm sure its a nice car, I really don't think Mondeo's styling and badge appeals to Australians. Those who love them, love them, but they are a niche product. Making them in Australia will not get Mondeo the love and sales it needs. I actually think Focus would have been a smarter choice.

Export. If something, anything, is to be made in Australia it must have a viable export plan for several markets. We are a small nation, with many car choices. You can't manufacture here and expect it to be all local sales to keep things going.

Build a niche. Ranger, RWD drive cars whatever. Get a niche market that Ford US is happy for Ford Aust to become the leader in and allows them to export around the world.

Marketing. Yes better ads, but go further. Social networking is not coming on forums like here to do some damage control the day a bad story hits the press and then disappearing again. That frankly is amateur hour stuff.

Being publicly available and online all the time means you would have to put up with the suggestions like why can't Falcon make a billion horsepower and cost $20000, but there is also some dam good ideas and information about what is happening out in the Ford owner universe online. Take advantange of it to identify trends, quality issues, dealer issues and build customer loyality.

As for continuing Falcon. No I didn't vote for that. Without export and the option to put the steering wheel on either side, I can' see it as sustainable. Thats not to say I don't think Ford Aust couldn't engineer and build a first rate Falcon type car, but someone in the US has to realise that export doesn't just mean to New Zealand.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd use the Eric Cartman marketing approach:

Announce that I will now only be making ONE Falcon per year and it will be only MINE to own and drive and "na na na na na naaah, YOU can't buy one" TV ads and roadside banners.

Then people will complain, and want and NEED a Falcon and will line up outside my office demanding to buy a Falcon. Then I start taking orders.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #25
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The writing's on the wall, the young ones have TOO MUCH choice, for this v small market, thanks to globalisation and free trade agreements let alone Detroit based financiers/managers.
The product has to sell in massive numbers to a world market, selling high performance cars to sheiks and US cops is just another dead end.

Prioritise the design to manufacture stage of internationally competitive product such as the Ranger and accept that low cost countries have their advantages, otherwise go the way of Chrysler ie absorbed into the Fiat empire or a Chinese manufacturer wanting to fast-track to recognised world exporter, who would want that?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the critical mass of units per year to be considered viable and a success? The best selling model is the Mazda 3 at around 3500 units per month. That's 42,000 units per year to be number one.

In the mid 90's, the EF & EL Falcons sold around 90,000 units per year. So, what is an acceptable number, to re-tool, re-set a local production line, parts, robots, welders, engines, etc...? Where's the break even point, and where's the 'great and viable profit' point? Is being in the top ten enough? Selling anywhere between 1000 and 3500 units per month? Is it more viable to just be assembly plants like Holden with the Cruze, or manufacturing, like Ford with the Falcon?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #27
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The question shud be what is the world production/sales number of a particular car?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #28
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
If this is the premise ..... the Territory would not survive without the Falcon so .....
Maybe the Falcon won't survive without the Territory.

Really, why could production of a Territory not continue without production of a Falcon?

Because Territory is based on Falcon? So?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

small/medium size (mazda 3 size) RWD 4 cyl with an option for a V6, make a sedan, wagon, hatch, coupe all on the same platform and FPV can stick a V8 in it. (eg. BMW/Merc)
keep the falcon ute and territory for a few more years with minor updates
maybe even make most of it overseas (china/thailand) and assemble here.
i wonder how many parts of the new FG and VF are made in china anyway? even the tyres are chinese now.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
BrisVegas
Noobie

Fiesta, Focus, new Fusion (Mondeo), ecoSport, new Kuga, Ranger are all best in class. Improving marketing & supply will have them best SELLING in class.

Falcon is best in class, in a class that nobody buys anymore. If there's a way of keeping Falcon alive, even if only the premium and muscle car versions, then great. The Fusion should replace the bread and butter Falcon I think. Bringing in the Mustang alongside the V8 Falcon would create more "presence" in the Aussie market too.

The Ranger wagon (Everest) is a worthwhile niche, but won't ever sell in the same volumes as a vehicle like the Territory, or Explorer etc. I think a v8 Ranger ute would be worthwhile. Ranger could easily be the best selling vehicle for Ford. Give it a hero model like the SVT F-series gets and watch the cashed up miners line up for em.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post