Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Campo81

Default Chrome bumper strip?

Hi all,

Just wondering where the best place to buy decent exterior chrome striping for the bumper bars on my XF. I bought a roll of the cheap stuff from someone on eBay but it just won't stick, thought it may have been faulty so they sent out another roll but still no good. Have cleaned it real good but just won't stick to anything.

Would like to buy some decent stuff if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Campo81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Re: Chrome bumper strip?

Have you tried it with a better quality double sided tape?
Old 28-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Campo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
Have you tried it with a better quality double sided tape?
Only problem I've got is the tape that's on it won't even stick to my real good 3M tape that I have. So i'd have to sit there for hours peeling all the tape off it, would prefer to just buy some good stuff and be done with it haha
Old 28-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Are you trying to get it to stick to a wrinkly type of finish on the bumper or a smooth finish ? It should stick OK to a smooth surface if you use alcohol wipes or even Methylated Spirit to clean the surface first. However if it's the wrinkly type finish you may have to stick it on, a light film of clear silicone should do the trick, it will be pretty much impossible to get it to stay in place on the wrinkly surface without some sort of adhesive
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Campo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Are you trying to get it to stick to a wrinkly type of finish on the bumper or a smooth finish ? It should stick OK to a smooth surface if you use alcohol wipes or even Methylated Spirit to clean the surface first. However if it's the wrinkly type finish you may have to stick it on, a light film of clear silicone should do the trick, it will be pretty much impossible to get it to stay in place on the wrinkly surface without some sort of adhesive
Smooth surface painted last week. Have tried cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol, wax and grease remover, prepsol, etc. and no luck :(
Old 28-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Does the real good 3M tape you have stick to the surface ? Maybe try it an inconspicuous place done under the bumper somewhere just in case it doesn't want to come off without taking some paint with it The trouble with most of the chrome strip and similar from eBay is that unless it states it's got 3M tape on it it will be the cheap crappy stuff. You can get it off using turps on a rag and a scraper but it does take a little bit of time :(
Old 28-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Campo81

Quote:
Does the real good 3M tape you have stick to the surface ? Maybe try it an inconspicuous place done under the bumper somewhere just in case it doesn't want to come off without taking some paint with it
Yeah it does.
Old 28-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You just beat me I added a little bit to the last post - The trouble with most of the chrome strip and similar from eBay is that unless it states it's got 3M tape on it it will be the cheap crappy stuff. You can get it off using turps on a rag and a scraper but it does take a little bit of time :(

Just found this stuff

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-Tr...-/221168625133
Old 28-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
Campo81

Quote:
You just beat me I added a little bit to the last post - The trouble with most of the chrome strip and similar from eBay is that unless it states it's got 3M tape on it it will be the cheap crappy stuff. You can get it off using turps on a rag and a scraper but it does take a little bit of time :(

Just found this stuff

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-Tr...-/221168625133
Different seller but that's exactly what I've got.
Old 28-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo81 View Post
Different seller but that's exactly what I've got.
Might pay you to try eBay UK or even US and see if you can get the genuine 3M tape, otherwise it looks like you'll be using the scraper and turps and applying some good tape yourself
Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm slowly eating popcorn as I read this as I have always liked the chrome strip and thought about putting it on my xh.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post